• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Co-op bakery

dereklcg

master brummie
is there anyone from the stechford area remembers the co-op
bakery in yardley fields road?
i hav,nt been down that way in an age,it,s probably been gone
for about 20 years but i don,t know?
also the levis factory down past the station iron lane way
i seem to remember all of parkinson cowan has gone
and there,s like we need more out of town shops been
built there. :(
cheers regards dereklcg.

Co-op Bakery

Hi Derek, I have no news of the Co-op Bakery, but a one time neighbour worked at Levis' as cook, it has long gone, but there are some factory units on the site which I believe is called Levis Trading Estate only a small area.

Derek we have one of those Co-op Electric Vans with open sides which sell Vegetables mainly but sells all sorts, its the last one in Ipswich area and it been here as long as I have over 20 years, I think there was protests when it said it was being withdrawn:)

co-op

Derek we have one of those Co-op Electric Vans with open sides which sell Vegetables mainly but sells all sorts, its the last one in Ipswich area and it been here as long as I have over 20 years, I think there was protests when it said it was being withdrawn:)
;) cheers Alf,do you live out in the sticks then?
i could,nt see a van like that around town.
i used to come up you,re way over that big ol bridge and the first exit when i was delivering to a big ind est with steel for export.
happy days regards Derek.
ps found another pic.

Yes Derek I live in the sticks in fact the middle of a Wood, the Van only delivers in Ipswich around the estates we are about 6 miles out and not many houses in between. Its a shame though:)

Like the photo of the Van thats in good nick

Co/op Bakery

The Bakery Was In Mannor Rd Stechford And Not In Yardley Fields Rd Thats Where I Met My Old Dutchess ,
She Lived Twenty Doors Away From The Bakery On The Hill
Best Wishes Astonian ,;;

co-op bakery

cheers mate,i.ll have to get me an a t z of Birmingham,
i,ve tried these search things but i don,t think they show
everything,or i,ll have to get back to where i did
a lot of my growing up.
i was trying to remember where i did my paper round
and i did part of Yardley fields rd,i can see it now.
i worked out of beals stores that was, in lea hall rd,
i lived in in the middle bit of kelnmead rd by the old meadway
pub,just past fellmeadow rd jack ward was the manager way
back when. happy days regards dereklcg.

Co/op Bakery

Hi Derick
The Co/op Bakery Used To Be The Botton Of Mannor Rd Stechford And Not In Yardley Fields Rd
It Was Just Before You Climb The Hill Of Mannor Rd
Thats Where I Met My Old Dutchess At The Phone Box By
The Co/op Bakery On Bonfire Night [the Year Dot]
There Was Another Baker Lad Asking Her Out Quite Often ,
But The Better Man Won Her Heart , Me.
And She His Still Georgously Looking From The Day I Met Her
Anyway The Bakery As Gone Some Thirty Years Ago And Its Replace
By An Old Peoples Home ,they Even Built An Old Peoples Home In Yardley Feilds Rd ,and Its Called Brookside,
Levis As Long Gone ,and Parkin And Cowan Went Many Years Ago And Now Its A Big Commercial Shopping Centre,
The Mannor House And Gone After All The Shooting There
It Was A Chequerd History Pub You Had To Wear A Crash Helmet To Drink In There And Rife With Drugs ,just Like The Old Cromwell Went Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;;;

co-op bakery (astonian )

what a nice story, you romantic you ;)
i met my misses in ward end park me and my mate,
were on the boats and saw these two girls and asked
if they wanted to get on the boat with us,
just celebrated our 37th happy days.
you have your moments whe does,nt?
just booked a holiday in filey / scarborough,
we,ve got a touring caravan before you think it
i,m not one that blocks or slows the traffic,
we go early morning or through the night,
thanks for your input: regards derek.

Well Derek Thats put paid to my Early Morning & Night Driving Plans for the Season:D

re coop bakery

Dereklcg. My friend worked there.in manor rd.i never had to buy bread,we always had a load of assorted cakes and goodies in the cupboard.friday
nights i would fill my car.Last time i was down that way,was to rent a van
from a firm in the same place as levis stood,on returning the van was the last time i was in brum. pete

co-op bakery ( peter martin)

cheers peter for your info time does fly by!
a mate of mine used to work at Levis,i think it was
some sort of engineering factory can,t remember what
they made probably parts for who knows?
they made motor bikes way back when bet there,s
not to many of them about now?
up until 1999 i was a hgv driver and i used to
be all over the place delivering stainless steel,
nights away the whole nine yards. happy days
regards Derek.
just having a mess about
down sizing photos i,ve taken.
been having a bit of trouble (Betty)
this is my pet hedgehog hoggle
as it goes he has cleared off now,
perhaps it was the cat food and
digestive biscuits he tired of.:(
cheers peter.

re coop

HI,alf had a break.i live in pwllheli.i found a good program on sky alf,called
zone remanica.a bit silly but it apeals to my daft humer.
dereklck,my goldy dog brought what i thought was a ball.when i picked it up it was a hedghog,it was ok so i put it back in the hedge.Yes derek levis
made some thing with pistons in it becouse i saw some out side one day.
in the scrap bin.wish i had a penie for every tim i passed the old coop
on the way to castle brom.i would have had a few bob.
going of thread a bit my mate worked in the garage bringing in rtc and rta cars,there was a chap his job was to strip them ready for repair.well one day i got two sheeps eyes from the butcher in the poolway,and we put them in a smashed car,well this chap found them and he nearly passed
out. catch you later pete

alien life form

you are a naughty boy alf,
i won,t be comming your way,have you seen the price of diesel £1.14.9
a litre and it used to be cheep? i think i,ll go electric,but it would,nt pull my caravan.
according to is it gordon brown that said it i,ve got a chelsea tractor,
he get around in one though,it,s a land rover discovery tdi supposed to be economical,mind you it,s less to run than the range rover i had.
but i,ll be at the bus stop in the morning we,re lucky there,s the coice of 6 buses the top of the road.i,m doing my bit.
catch you later derek
ps i mite see you out and about be careful.

i worked at manor rd in the 60s, had great times there. had a morrison van reg. no. roa 417.happy days.

There were two other bakeries near the Co-op bakery, Joyners & Holtoms both taken over by Hardings of Yardley who were taken over by Sunblest and now we have Allied Bakers in Granby Avenue a very big factory where bread is baked for nearly every supermarket you can think of. Len.

robert i joined in 61 and was assistent to albert watkins other people there were arthur ayres dave magee kenny moore

Vic Fred Gough worked there most of his working life about 30 or so years untill his retirement around 1982. sadley he died in 1988.

yes dave about 69-72

Hi Vic,

What a coincidence finding you on here! I worked in the office
there from 1966-1973, and remember you well. I started a thread
recently to see if any R. White's employees used this forum, but got
no replies . I wonder if you are still in touch with any of the other
salesmen or any other employees. I'm totally out of touch with all of
them.

Kind regards

Dave

There were two other bakeries near the Co-op bakery, Joyners & Holtoms both taken over by Hardings of Yardley who were taken over by Sunblest and now we have Allied Bakers in Granby Avenue a very big factory where bread is baked for nearly every supermarket you can think of. Len.

Hi Len

I remember Joyners by the Post Office well, we lived in Frederick Road and used it regularly in the 1950s, I think Holtom's was the cake shop on
the other side of the entry in Albert Road from the Greengrocer's (Smith's I believe). Do you remember the Co-op horses at Manor Road? I remember them being led by the bridle from Manor Road to their stabling at the bottom of Station Road. We had both bread and milk delivered by the
Co-op, both horse-drawn.

Kind regards

Dave

I remember wrights ropes,
off long acre thimble mill lane,we used to play
on the embankment opp as it was then, long before Bristol st motors were there.
We had some great times..
if you look on the nechells area via the search at the top of
the page you should find out more.. regards dereklcg

dereklg, my father worked there during the war ;charles bucknall any info on him. also p ginifer livedin ash rd played football with him for addeley football club

hi vicbucknall, i,m sorry i have no info other than we used to play there as kids,look on the search box at the top of the page,other than that there is a site industry in Birmingham or something like.
The p that was Pete ginifer,lived off bordesley grn rd by the blues ground,not far from raggie allens, mite that have been him?
regards Derek

Back