• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

ahh bless lynn...same here mom was a great knitter and continued to knit for every grandchild and gt grandchild...i was always in awe as i could never get the hang of those complicated patterns lol

lyn

think i started out looking girlie and was dressed accordingly especially on day trips out or our yearly holidays in wales but by the time i got to about 6 our mom gave up as i started my phase of being a tomboy then...by the time i had reached about 11 i was the only girl member in our gang :D silly dresses and frilly socks were out and this continued up until i reached about 15/16 and started noticing boys as a bit more than one of the gang:rolleyes: by which time i was allowed to grow my hair long..mom always kept us girls in short hair styles but i think she was glad to see the feminine side coming out lol...from then on it was hot pants..mini skirts and knee high white pvc boots...happy days...here are a few of taken from the earliest one in dads arms in paddington st..pic 2 paddington st back garden...pic 3 paddington st garden..pic 4 think handsworth park..pic 5 dudley zoo..no pics of my teenage years ...being the eldest of 6 dad took a lot of photos of us kids up until baby
4 came along by which time family photos became few and far between i would guess because we could not afford a camera so easily
4View attachment 147388View attachment 147389View attachment 147390View attachment 147391View attachment 147392

lyn

Great Pics Lyn

ahh bless lynn...same here mom was a great knitter and continued to knit for every grandchild and gt grandchild...i was always in awe as i could never get the hang of those complicated patterns lol

lyn
As I was an only child Lyn, Mom did have the time and patience to teach me how to knit but these days we don't have the time the older generation did to do so much knitting. Well we have other things to fill up our time, put it that way. My mom always had knitting on the go. She knitted me cardigans, skirts, clothes for my dolls, blankets etc. Even the dog had a patchwork blanket made from left over wool!

As I was an only child Lyn, Mom did have the time and patience to teach me how to knit but these days we don't have the time the older generation did to do so much knitting. Well we have other things to fill up our time, put it that way. My mom always had knitting on the go. She knitted me cardigans, skirts, clothes for my dolls, blankets etc. Even the dog had a patchwork blanket made from left over wool!

oh how lovely lynn...mom did try to teach me to follow patterns but i only got as far as knitting plain and pearl ..the only thing i managed to knit was west bromwich albion scarf then i put the letters WBA on it in chain stitch lol

ln

oh how lovely lynn...mom did try to teach me to follow patterns but i only got as far as knitting plain and pearl ..the only thing i managed to knit was west bromwich albion scarf then i put the letters WBA on it in chain stitch lol

ln
Lyn I would have appreciated your post untill I saw the letters WBA...
Lynn (Villa fan! )

think i started out looking girlie and was dressed accordingly especially on day trips out or our yearly holidays in wales but by the time i got to about 6 our mom gave up as i started my phase of being a tomboy then...by the time i had reached about 11 i was the only girl member in our gang :D silly dresses and frilly socks were out and this continued up until i reached about 15/16 and started noticing boys as a bit more than one of the gang:rolleyes: by which time i was allowed to grow my hair long..mom always kept us girls in short hair styles but i think she was glad to see the feminine side coming out lol...from then on it was hot pants..mini skirts and knee high white pvc boots...happy days...here are a few of taken from the earliest one in dads arms in paddington st..pic 2 paddington st back garden...pic 3 paddington st garden..pic 4 think handsworth park..pic 5 dudley zoo..no pics of my teenage years ...being the eldest of 6 dad took a lot of photos of us kids up until baby
4 came along by which time family photos became few and far between i would guess because we could not afford a camera so easily
4View attachment 147388View attachment 147389View attachment 147390View attachment 147391View attachment 147392

lyn
The first photo you sent down in the arms of I presume your father you are the spitting image of your grandson especially your eyes !!!

Must be one of the worst ever clothing ideas: knitted swimming costumes. Once the wool was loaded with water, well who knows where it would end up ! And as for getting it dry, well how long you got ?

How man-made fibres revolutionised all that. Where would sportswear be today without Lycra ? Viv.

I notice none of you girls.s have admitted to the k itted swimming costumes, My mum knitted one for my sister, we went to Weston for the day..I can still see her coming up the beach with it sagging round her ankles,
Bob
I
I g

Bob I don't think any of the young ladies on the forum would admit to wearing one and looking like a complete div once they were wet.

Must be one of the worst ever clothing ideas: knitted swimming costumes. Once the wool was loaded with water, well who knows where it would end up ! And as for getting it dry, well how long you got ?

How man-made fibres revolutionised all that. Where would sportswear be today without Lycra ? Viv.
imagine turning up at the baths or pool now wearing this getup1600066123216.png:grinning::grinning:

Back