• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

I bought an Afghan coat off a guy in the Greyhound pub in Court Lane for £1.00. It looked amazing with all the embroidery, but it was hot and hairy and slightly too small. I recall it being smelly too and think it did start to fall apart in the wardrobe eventually.

I used to go to my mum’s friends house every Tuesday night. She was ‘auntie’ to me and was an agent for John Moore’s catalogue. As a young girl, the catalogue was the one thing that made the visit interesting. I was always allowed to browse while they chatted.

Mum bought a lot of clothes via the catalogue. All bought on ‘tick’ (unbeknown to my dad who disapproved). I remember mum paying ‘auntie’ each week. Clothes bought this way would have cost much more than similar clothes bought in shops because of the credit arrangement. And of course once you had an account with a catalogue, it was easy to just keep buying and pay later.

Viv.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned "Sweatershop" Couldn't find it on search. Went bust in 1998. Fetching good prices on ebay. I still have one, a bit washed out, but mine!

Not sure I remember Sweatershop Jim. Was it a chain ?

I loved Bus Stop clothes, although I wouldn't exactly describe the first one as a ‘boilersuit’.Viv.

Source: British Newspaper Archive.
1C5B1FB0-614A-4AD2-B0F8-42B76A73B62D.jpeg

This was popular back in the day
Qq6jqT4.jpg

But sad to say

ddiSF5h.jpg

Back