• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

: unamused:Wore flares and platforms, but the flares weren’t that wide, and the platforms not that high. There’s sometimes a fine line between fashion and looking ridiculous !

Hi Viv, have to say many fashions keep me amused.
Currently the hilarious hair styles sported by men and the trend for young women dressed in their finery with huge great boots on their feet. Would be interesting to see how they feel in twenty years time.:D:D

NoddKD. Easily amused.

Moving back to the clothes of yesteryear, I remember chiffon scarves (think someone mentioned them earlier). My mum had some for the sole purpose of covering her hair when it was in rollers. Not entirely sure what their purpose was. If it was to hide the rollers, it was useless as they were completely see through. If it was to keep the rollers in place, all well and good. But they were very difficult to get off as they clung to the rollers. Consequently you pulled half the rollers ofr with the scarf when it was removed and the spiky rollers snagged most of the threads of the scarf. Strange.

Now much better was a silky headscarf. Much more attractive, easier to remove when removing rollers and the bonus was, gorgeously glossy hair. Audrey Hepburn eat your heart out ! Viv.

Last edited:
In 1974 as I remember all the fashion for my age was patterned cheesecloth blouses and shirts,denim skirts and waistcoats to match,long skirts with a very high waistband,platform shoes that were so big but funny enough they were as light as a feather no one could walk in them properly but we all still bought a pair .There must of been many a broken ankle them days.I bought my first pair in sacha shoe shop I think it was in corporation street.My clothes from Chelsea girl and the inside oasis market.But as the saying goes the things women do for fashion !!!

Loved cheesecloth too, with a bit of lace insert on the yolk. Very feminine and better unironed as it went back to its original shape. I had a couple of smocks in cheesecloth. Great with jeans or hot pants. Cool in summer.

I also loved velvet. Preferably in rich colours like purple. Had a midi coat and loon pants in purple velvet, and a maxi coat and loon pants in black velvet. Should have worn a wide brimmed, floppy hat too, but was never really brave enough for hats. Funny really, because just 30 or 40 years earlier it would have been second nature for women to wear a hat. But I was just too self conscious. And I didn’t like flat hair.

Viv.

Loved cheesecloth too, with a bit of lace insert on the yolk. Very feminine and better unironed as it went back to its original shape. I had a couple of smocks in cheesecloth. Great with jeans or hot pants. Cool in summer.

I also loved velvet. Preferably in rich colours like purple. Had a midi coat and loon pants in purple velvet, and a maxi coat and loon pants in black velvet. Should have worn a wide brimmed, floppy hat too, but was never really brave enough for hats. Funny really, because just 30 or 40 years earlier it would have been second nature for women to wear a hat. But I was just too self conscious. And I didn’t like flat hair.

Viv.
Ah yes the floppy felt hat, forgotten all about mine until I saw your post Viv. I remember wearing a red floppy wide brimmed hat and a gorgeous pair of red shoes to match the hat. I also wore a red beret during those years. I don’t really suit a hat now, I am missing the long hair! Jen

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
same here jeanette..i had 2 or 3 floppy hats wore with long hippy type dresses..jesus sandals and lots of beads...my hair is shoulder length now but back then it was past my waist....happy days :) actually i have a couple of floppy summer hats now..love wearing them

lyn

same here jeanette..i had 2 or 3 floppy hats wore with long hippy type dresses..jesus sandals and lots of beads...my hair is shoulder length now but back then it was past my waist....happy days :) actually i have a couple of floppy summer hats now..love wearing them

lyn
I wore beads too Lyn, all colours. I particularly loved wearing chokers, I used to make my own from bits of material and put some little dangly bits on. Think I still have one somewhere, lovely silky grey, probably wouldn’t fit round my neck now, ha ha. Jen

Anyone wear a leather fringed waistcoat. I had one similar to this one. Bought it from Chelsea Girl in Erdington. It was a tan leather colour and I loved it. Bought a matching fringed handbag too. You can never have enough fringes. Viv.

75E034CB-F36C-4B55-B07B-3BB89429EACF.jpeg

The mention of beads reminds me that me and my friend wore a couple of small bells on a chain too. Must have sounded like a couple of mountain goats on our Saturday shopping/hanging out trips around Birmingham ! Viv.

Anyone wear a leather fringed waistcoat. I had one similar to this one. Bought it from Chelsea Girl in Erdington. It was a tan leather colour and I loved it. Bought a matching fringed handbag too. You can never have enough fringes. Viv.

View attachment 154837
Don’t think I had a fringed waistcoat. I remember having a green suede waistcoat with crocheting around the edges, wore it with a green leather mini skirt. I was always worried about spilling stuff on them, they were difficult to clean! Gorgeous clothes weren’t they. Jen

But what did we do when we went to work ? Did you wear the same sort of clothes ? If I’d worn hot pants, very ‘mini’ skirts or beads and bells I’d have been told to go home and dress properly! I had an alternative ‘frumpy’ wardrobe for work. Mostly knee length skirts and blouses or trousers and court shoes. Later it was suits.

If you worked in fashion shops or boutiques, it must have been acceptable to turn up in the latest fashions.

Viv.

Back