• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Cheers Richard & Pete. I didn't choose the shirts and they were our second in that job. Don't think I have a pic of us in the which were purple and white to go with the plum-coloured slacks that you can see Roger wearing.

Maurice :cool:

Alas, John, it comes to us all in time. For years my late brother dyed his hair very dark, almost black, and he was two years younger than me. When he left Brum and moved into semi-sheltered accomodation in Hampshire, he was still dyeing it and by the time he got to 75, it was starting to look a bit odd for a man his age. We came over to see him most years and I asked him why. "Well", he said, "all these old dears have only ever known me with hair this colour and I can't suddenly let it go white overnight!". The "old dears" were all about the same age as he was.

The perils of vanity. When you've got a beard, and I've never shaved mine off in getting on for 50 years, you can't dye it to match your hair. It's almost part of your "clothes of yesteryear" - to get this back on topic :)

Quite right you are!

Never had a beard, and if I grew one these days it would be the old “got yer yed on upside down mate?” joke.

Alas, John, it comes to us all in time. For years my late brother dyed his hair very dark, almost black, and he was two years younger than me. When he left Brum and moved into semi-sheltered accomodation in Hampshire, he was still dyeing it and by the time he got to 75, it was starting to look a bit odd for a man his age. We came over to see him most years and I asked him why. "Well", he said, "all these old dears have only ever known me with hair this colour and I can't suddenly let it go white overnight!". The "old dears" were all about the same age as he was.

The perils of vanity. When you've got a beard, and I've never shaved mine off in getting on for 50 years, you can't dye it to match your hair. It's almost part of your "clothes of yesteryear" - to get this back on topic :)

Maurice
i never dyed my hair,it died its self.:grinning:

Hang on, it's New Years Eve, why not give 'em a laugh? So here we go around 1975, with me on the right and my bass-playing friend Roger on the left. My son later used the shirt for a Bad Taste Party. :)
Comeback, Bill Evans, all is forgiven.......

View attachment 151379
our Maurice. i bet thats a false beard. the real one is in you pocket init:grinning:

Pete,

That's genuine & has never been shaved off since, merely trimmed, but , of course, it has gone white. :) My mate Roger does occasionally shave his off and although we exchange emails most days, I have no idea of his beard state at the moment. Mine started off like this:-
Old Heathers.jpg
and gradually extended until there was just one inch on the point of my chin that I had to shave. At that point I thought, "why am I shaving this silly little bit?", and it became a full beard. That's my favourite nightmare - someone has shaved it all off while I've been asleep! :cold_sweat: :eek: And they never paid me for that ad! :)

That looks like the interior of Olympia. Done a few shows there, but not in flares and platforms! I have no stats to prove this, but I think the NEC did Earl’s Court and Olympia no favours at all. It got up the noses of a few Londoners, which is always good!

Last edited:
: unamused:Wore flares and platforms, but the flares weren’t that wide, and the platforms not that high. There’s sometimes a fine line between fashion and looking ridiculous !

Hi Viv, have to say many fashions keep me amused.
Currently the hilarious hair styles sported by men and the trend for young women dressed in their finery with huge great boots on their feet. Would be interesting to see how they feel in twenty years time.:D:D

NoddKD. Easily amused.

Moving back to the clothes of yesteryear, I remember chiffon scarves (think someone mentioned them earlier). My mum had some for the sole purpose of covering her hair when it was in rollers. Not entirely sure what their purpose was. If it was to hide the rollers, it was useless as they were completely see through. If it was to keep the rollers in place, all well and good. But they were very difficult to get off as they clung to the rollers. Consequently you pulled half the rollers ofr with the scarf when it was removed and the spiky rollers snagged most of the threads of the scarf. Strange.

Now much better was a silky headscarf. Much more attractive, easier to remove when removing rollers and the bonus was, gorgeously glossy hair. Audrey Hepburn eat your heart out ! Viv.

Last edited:
In 1974 as I remember all the fashion for my age was patterned cheesecloth blouses and shirts,denim skirts and waistcoats to match,long skirts with a very high waistband,platform shoes that were so big but funny enough they were as light as a feather no one could walk in them properly but we all still bought a pair .There must of been many a broken ankle them days.I bought my first pair in sacha shoe shop I think it was in corporation street.My clothes from Chelsea girl and the inside oasis market.But as the saying goes the things women do for fashion !!!

Loved cheesecloth too, with a bit of lace insert on the yolk. Very feminine and better unironed as it went back to its original shape. I had a couple of smocks in cheesecloth. Great with jeans or hot pants. Cool in summer.

I also loved velvet. Preferably in rich colours like purple. Had a midi coat and loon pants in purple velvet, and a maxi coat and loon pants in black velvet. Should have worn a wide brimmed, floppy hat too, but was never really brave enough for hats. Funny really, because just 30 or 40 years earlier it would have been second nature for women to wear a hat. But I was just too self conscious. And I didn’t like flat hair.

Viv.

Loved cheesecloth too, with a bit of lace insert on the yolk. Very feminine and better unironed as it went back to its original shape. I had a couple of smocks in cheesecloth. Great with jeans or hot pants. Cool in summer.

I also loved velvet. Preferably in rich colours like purple. Had a midi coat and loon pants in purple velvet, and a maxi coat and loon pants in black velvet. Should have worn a wide brimmed, floppy hat too, but was never really brave enough for hats. Funny really, because just 30 or 40 years earlier it would have been second nature for women to wear a hat. But I was just too self conscious. And I didn’t like flat hair.

Viv.
Ah yes the floppy felt hat, forgotten all about mine until I saw your post Viv. I remember wearing a red floppy wide brimmed hat and a gorgeous pair of red shoes to match the hat. I also wore a red beret during those years. I don’t really suit a hat now, I am missing the long hair! Jen

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Back