• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

I thought bouffant was a hairstyle? Skirts were called 'mini', actually mini skirts were often the smallest garment worn or equal to scarf! ;) They are still in fashion.
They should have been banned, a severe distraction to most male vehicle drivers. :eek:
I think Smudger spotted it, big belled out skirts supported by multi-layered petticoats or whatever they are called (pauses to wipe sweaty hands and brow). Come on girls (I hope that is not a gender non woke unPC comment) help me out, there must be one of you who was young and lithe in the fifties and wore of those skirts...what were they called. June (my wife to be) would knock one out in the afternoon before we went out on a Saturday night.
'In olden days, a glimpse of stocking
Was looked on as something shocking'
How true, now apparently Anything Goes.

Bob

Could never figure out why the gals wore such short skirts, was it to please themselves or the guys? I preferred the 50`s fashion when the girls wore those flowing? skirts & when they jived a glimpse of stocking !!
You sussed it I think, Alan was right bouffant was a hair style.

Bob

Winkle pickers, drainpipe trousers, Italian 3 button jacket with velvet collar, black shirt with a red tie.

Elastic sided boots, Farah strides, roll neck shirt at the weekends; three piece suits from Hepworth’s with crossover weskit, tab collar shirts, knitted tie in the week. Boiler suit under the car.

I still wear elastic sided boots, but Loakes not Hush Puppies!

Elastic sided boots, Farah strides, roll neck shirt at the weekends; three piece suits from Hepworth’s with crossover weskit, tab collar shirts, knitted tie in the week. Boiler suit under the car.

I still wear elastic sided boots, but Loakes not Hush Puppies!
chelsey boots. my suit come from john collier.

I remember when you couldn’t get girls ‘ jeans. We had to buy boys jeans. I remember having my first pair - Wranglers - which were so big on the waist they felt like they were falling down. There was always an excess of denim at the back. When you buy jeans today, it’s a major exercise; choice of high waist, low waist, enhancers, skinny, narrow, bootleg etc etc. Just a good pair of well fitting jeans will do me nicely thank you. Viv.

I never cared for jeans. I did have a brown pair - just to be different, I guess, from the ubiquitous blue. This was when I was in my late twenties. What I particularly disliked was it was nigh impossible to get your hands in or out of the pockets.
Nowadays it appears that many people have a problem keeping their rear anatomy in the things!!

I remember when you couldn’t get girls ‘ jeans. We had to buy boys jeans. I remember having my first pair - Wranglers - which were so big on the waist they felt like they were falling down. There was always an excess of denim at the back. When you buy jeans today, it’s a major exercise; choice of high waist, low waist, enhancers, skinny, narrow, bootleg etc etc. Just a good pair of well fitting jeans will do me nicely thank you. Viv.
Viv
Excuse my ignorance , but what do the enhancers enhance ?

I wear jeans most of the time. Necessary when gardening/Diy/ or walking my westie over the fields. Stretch fabric of course !
I spent 50 years wearing suits, blazers ties and white or blue shirts! I wear jeans when I can, not sure about the stretch :) I still have plenty of the other stuff, jeans are comfortable!

Back