• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Bought shirts etc from Zissmans and Chetwyns?, I remember I had a sharkskin shirt (it was soft material) as styled for Frankie Laine and another shirt two colour with button down collar as styled for Mr B (Billy Eckstine), that was 1952 to 1954, passed through the teddy boy era without joining it, but then in 1956 onwards, suits had to be handmade, often grey, oversewn seams on the trousers, full back on the jackets, jacket body length the bottom of the coat to drop into hands by your side first knuckle. Pockets showing but stitched, jacket two button, Lapels with stitching showing, trousers no turnups but 16inch to 17inch bottoms, shirts (usually white) with cutaway collars to take Windsor Knotted ties and the final fifties ties were straight bottomed. Later button down collar shirts, except they did not take Windsor knots very well. To finish it off ox blood red leather moccasins (some even had bells on for a while (do you remember the Western Film where the horse goes into town with the bell on its pommel tingling)). By God we were the cats whiskers and all you girls in your multi tiered flared petticoats and high heels....nurse the screens I am having one of my fantasies.

Bob

The majority the clothes I wear are still in the 70's designs I am scared to go to a museum because I could end up as an exhibit....I only wear Wrangler jeans, polo shirts, Levi's belt buckle which I have worn nearly every day since 1970, the belts started off small and got really large over time...I wear clothes I feel safe in bugger the fashions...

The majority the clothes I wear are still in the 70's designs I am scared to go to a museum because I could end up as an exhibit....I only wear Wrangler jeans, polo shirts, Levi's belt buckle which I have worn nearly every day since 1970, the belts started off small and got really large over time...I wear clothes I feel safe in bugger the fashions...
me too i mostly wear us x army cloths.. no one gives a hoot here what you wear like in the city. as for belts mine started of large,now its too tight,must have shrunk over time :grinning:

02318485-1BFB-491E-8CA3-78AA7B35E088.jpeg
46576D30-7884-4A22-9A1C-13A44F3193C2.jpeg

Thanks for this thread Lyn. It’s kept me occupied all afternoon (and cool in the stifling heat).

Here we go.

Photos 1 - 10 are 1950s.
1 - my christening clothes. No robe, just a little white dress and white cardigan with white sandals, most likely bought from England’s shoe shop in Perry Barr. I was 1 years old at my christening having been ill at birth.
2. Mum and me in Perry Park. I’m wearing a frock (a big part of my early years wardrobe) plus hairband. Sandals definitely from Englands shoe shop in Perry Barr. No cardi this time.
3. Christmas Day in Yorkshire. Wearing cotton frock, cardi and big fluffy, comfy slippers. And sporting a serious ribbon bow in the hair. Mickey Mouse and slippers were Christmas presents.
4. Someone’s wedding day. The ribbon bows are multiplying ! A chiffon-type dress with inverted ‘V’ panel and gathered short sleeves. So on trend darlings! I remember having white sandals on - the suede ‘t’ bar type.
5. St Agnes Station, Cornwall. Obligatory cotton dress with white cardi. Looking quite miserable - usually because “I don’t want to go home”.
6. Still in Cornwall on the cliffs above St Agnes I’m on mums lap wearing the standard girls swimming costume of the 1950s. Very scratchy costume. Mum seems to have dropped the big ribbon bows for a more subtle hair slide.
7. Yet another dress and cardi at a pub in St Agnes Village. Parrot doesn’t seem too impressed.
8. Now I like this frock, a bit more mature. It’s teamed with a hand-knitted cardi made by my mum. I remember it distinctly, it had bobbles and embroidery on it and a pull string. Mum was a great knitter.
9. Atlantic Road, Kingstanding. Christmas Day. Now we’re moving into my tomboy phase. Tartan trousers, with fair isle woolly and knitted jacket over the top, both knitted by my mum. Scooter was a Christmas present.
10. Easter Day at Atlantic Road, Kingstanding and back to the dresses. Looking quite miserable, probably because I’m wearing a scratchy dress, or Fifi the poodle (yes it’s a stuffed poodle) is being annoying or the enormous ceramic dog (whose bottom you can see in the photo) is jealous of Fifi and wants to start a fight).

Photos 11 and 13 - 1960s
11. Summer in the garden at Atlantic Road and it’s polka dot dress time (very fashionable) with Mandy the vicious rabbit. She had a tendency to bite. Not a ribbon, or hair band or hair side in sight.
12. Trendy ski pants and ‘cool’ sweater on the front lawn in Atlantic Road. Not sure about the sandals and socks though.
13. Me striking out for independence. An educational school trip to the Caribbean (Nelson Dock, Antigua I think). Now in mini skirts and crop tops. Well not exactly crop tops as they weren’t allowed, so, of course, we just rolled up our shirts !
Can’t find any 1970s photos, must be in the loft.
Finally photos 14 - 16 are the 1980s
14. A hiking trip to Wales meant going sporty. A look I favoured for quite a few years. Adidas stretch track suit bottoms and trainers.
15. A cycling trip to Cornwall, still into sporty clothes.
16. London. Me on my bike, keeping the sporty look going.

Funny how clothes bring back so many memories. An enjoyable trip down memory lane for me. Thanks Lyn. Viv.

Just before I started secondary school , Italian striped suits were in fashion circa 1958/9 . I had'nt got one but ended up with a pair of Italian striped jeans they were a stopgap. I badgered Mother that much I got one the following year , winkle pickers did'nt get a pair of them till about 1963 had them about two months and had cuban heels fitted to them , boy did we stone the girls at the schools Friday club . Went through the rest of the 60's buying tailor made suits and the casual clothes we mods wore . I've always wore Levi's and still do , I remember the first pair I bought 1964 from Millets store in the Bull Ring priced at £4 . 19s 11d they're a bit dearer than that nowadays . Another star purchase from Millets was an all leather pair of Jodhpur boots leather uppers leather sole all hand stitched at the amazing price of £14. 19s 11d . I used to polish those so you could see your face in them , I think the last pair of those I bought were £40 odd pound well worth the money . I never was one for the trainers though , I buy a reserved pair of black Everlast trainers I've just checked the price £28.40 nothing too excessive .

hi folks thought we could try a thread for the fashions of days gone by....what did you wear..what sort of shoes etc...were there any special shops you bought them from oh and if possible photos of you wearing them would be great :)

lyn
good idear lyn lol

F
Farah trousers were all the rage when I was at senior school.

Can still remember getting my first pair of named trainers, a pair of dark blue suede diadora from Harry Parkes. Early 80s, I must have been 11 or 12. Loved them.
Farah trousers are back in fashion!!

View attachment 147364
View attachment 147365

Thanks for this thread Lyn. It’s kept me occupied all afternoon (and cool in the stifling heat).

Here we go.

Photos 1 - 10 are 1950s.
1 - my christening clothes. No robe, just a little white dress and white cardigan with white sandals, most likely bought from England’s shoe shop in Perry Barr. I was 1 years old at my christening having been ill at birth.
2. Mum and me in Perry Park. I’m wearing a frock (a big part of my early years wardrobe) plus hairband. Sandals definitely from Englands shoe shop in Perry Barr. No cardi this time.
3. Christmas Day in Yorkshire. Wearing cotton frock, cardi and big fluffy, comfy slippers. And sporting a serious ribbon bow in the hair. Mickey Mouse and slippers were Christmas presents.
4. Someone’s wedding day. The ribbon bows are multiplying ! A chiffon-type dress with inverted ‘V’ panel and gathered short sleeves. So on trend darlings! I remember having white sandals on - the suede ‘t’ bar type.
5. St Agnes Station, Cornwall. Obligatory cotton dress with white cardi. Looking quite miserable - usually because “I don’t want to go home”.
6. Still in Cornwall on the cliffs above St Agnes I’m on mums lap wearing the standard girls swimming costume of the 1950s. Very scratchy costume. Mum seems to have dropped the big ribbon bows for a more subtle hair slide.
7. Yet another dress and cardi at a pub in St Agnes Village. Parrot doesn’t seem too impressed.
8. Now I like this frock, a bit more mature. It’s teamed with a hand-knitted cardi made by my mum. I remember it distinctly, it had bobbles and embroidery on it and a pull string. Mum was a great knitter.
9. Atlantic Road, Kingstanding. Christmas Day. Now we’re moving into my tomboy phase. Tartan trousers, with fair isle woolly and knitted jacket over the top, both knitted by my mum. Scooter was a Christmas present.
10. Easter Day at Atlantic Road, Kingstanding and back to the dresses. Looking quite miserable, probably because I’m wearing a scratchy dress, or Fifi the poodle (yes it’s a stuffed poodle) is being annoying or the enormous ceramic dog (whose bottom you can see in the photo) is jealous of Fifi and wants to start a fight).

Photos 11 and 13 - 1960s
11. Summer in the garden at Atlantic Road and it’s polka dot dress time (very fashionable) with Mandy the vicious rabbit. She had a tendency to bite. Not a ribbon, or hair band or hair side in sight.
12. Trendy ski pants and ‘cool’ sweater on the front lawn in Atlantic Road. Not sure about the sandals and socks though.
13. Me striking out for independence. An educational school trip to the Caribbean (Nelson Dock, Antigua I think). Now in mini skirts and crop tops. Well not exactly crop tops as they weren’t allowed, so, of course, we just rolled up our shirts !
14. A hiking trip to Wales meant going sporty. A look I favoured for quite a few years. Adidas stretch track suit bottoms and trainers.

Funny how clothes bring back so many memories. An enjoyable trip down memory lane for me. Thanks Lyn. Viv.
That's brilliant, well done! Made me giggle!
Lynn.

Last edited:
View attachment 147364
View attachment 147365

Here we go.

Photos 1 - 10 are 1950s.

Photos 11 and 13 - 1960s

actually viv it was petes idea...lovely photos viv

lyn

I'm staying well clear of this thread! Actually I still haven't found the little album with all the pictures in from that era, though a couple of me as a youngster are on here somewhere.

Maurice :cool:

Well, Pete, you can threaten, cajole, even bribe me, but until I find the appropriate album, I've got nothing of interest that isn't already on this Forum! :) Except possibly this one at Moseley Grammar School in 1953 - front row left.

Maurice :cool:
MGSFormPhoto2.jpg

Last edited:
think i started out looking girlie and was dressed accordingly especially on day trips out or our yearly holidays in wales but by the time i got to about 6 our mom gave up as i started my phase of being a tomboy then...by the time i had reached about 11 i was the only girl member in our gang :D silly dresses and frilly socks were out and this continued up until i reached about 15/16 and started noticing boys as a bit more than one of the gang:rolleyes: by which time i was allowed to grow my hair long..mom always kept us girls in short hair styles but i think she was glad to see the feminine side coming out lol...from then on it was hot pants..mini skirts and knee high white pvc boots...happy days...here are a few of taken from the earliest one in dads arms in paddington st..pic 2 paddington st back garden...pic 3 paddington st garden..pic 4 think handsworth park..pic 5 dudley zoo..no pics of my teenage years ...being the eldest of 6 dad took a lot of photos of us kids up until baby
4 came along by which time family photos became few and far between i would guess because we could not afford a camera so easily
4img546.jpgimg526.jpgimg493.jpgimg587.jpgimg536.jpg

lyn

Last edited:
think i started out looking girlie and was dressed accordingly especially on day trips out or our yearly holidays in wales but by the time i got to about 6 our mom gave up as i started my phase of being a tomboy then...by the time i had reached about 11 i was the only girl member in our gang :D silly dresses and frilly socks were out and this continued up until i reached about 15/16 and started noticing boys as a bit more than one of the gang:rolleyes: by which time i was allowed to grow my hair long..mom always kept us girls in short hair styles but i think she was glad to see the feminine side coming out lol...from then on it was hot pants..mini skirts and knee high white pvc boots...happy days...here are a few of taken from the earliest one in dads arms in paddington st..pic 2 paddington st back garden...pic 3 paddington st garden..pic 4 think handsworth park..pic 5 dudley zoo..no pics of my teenage years ...being the eldest of 6 dad took a lot of photos of us kids up until baby
4 came along by which time family photos became few and far between i would guess because we could not afford a camera so easily
4View attachment 147388View attachment 147389View attachment 147390View attachment 147391View attachment 147392

lyn
:grinning:

Back