• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Stitcher
You obviously have a mountain of info on pre WWII standards
The clothing is precisely what we rebelled against in the mid/late 50's (ie the uniform)
The wallies of the 60's (flower power etc) completley mucked this up & made denim (jeans) the new uniform
As for plus fours, walkers/climbers etc have continued to wear breeks to this day. I do even in Australia (are they any different from the 'cut offs' of the 2011 fashion world of today?0
John Baldry

Hello John, it is all in books that I have saved rather than collected over the years.
I prefer the older styles for men and for women. I look on modern dress codes as a slip in standards and sadly speech, maners and respect for oneself and others have all gone the same way. How nice would it be now if a young mother with four children would smile and say "thank you" when you held a door open for her? or for anyone to say thank you for that matter.

Whilst I was watching Henry VIII on TV he made someone a Knight of the Garter and then I thought my dad used to wear garters to keep his socks up. Does anyone still use them? Also do men still use tiepins, cufflinks, fob and watches, arm bracelets, collar studs? I am sure someone on this Forum will know :D

Shouldn't think so Carol.I still have cufflinks and tiepins,but don't go anywhere posh enough to wear them.:rolleyes:.

No need for the garters anymore, elasticated socks. Yes cufflinks and arm bands, unless of course your shirts are bespoke and tailored to the correct arm length. Collar studs not generally, unless making a fashion staement. Tiepins less so. Structured suits from Savile Row, more relaxed from tailors in Milan or Roma. Shoes from John Lobb or Churches. Shirts from Charvet at Place de Vendome de Paris. Silk ties from Hermes or Brioni and shirts from Asser and Turnbull. Failing that, go to Primark. :)

Do you remember in the 60s when they used to wear the tie above the tiepin which was holding the shirt collar together?

That was a re-working of earlier fashion. In the 20's collar-pins were in use and could well have pre-dated then. So you never know, garters could make a come-back.

Primark sounds favourite.:)...Unless you have my luck,my grandsons give me hand me downs of T shirts and jeans.They would spend more on one T shirt than I would on a full suit of clothing with a matching wellies and a bowler hat.:cool:

My hubby wears cufflinks as he wears a suit to work and he has a lot of shirts with double cuffs. I don't know what collar studs are but he does use those collar stiffeners - but you can't see them as they go inside the collar. He hasn't used a tiepin for years.

I bought him some cufflinks for Christmas - they were from the Birmingham assay office and have the anchor on them - I only found them becuase of Astoness posting about the assay office on the forum :)

My hubby wears cufflinks as he wears a suit to work and he has a lot of shirts with double cuffs. I don't know what collar studs are but he does use those collar stiffeners - but you can't see them as they go inside the collar. He hasn't used a tiepin for years.

I bought him some cufflinks for Christmas - they were from the Birmingham assay office and have the anchor on them - I only found them becuase of Astoness posting about the assay office on the forum :)
Hi Polly, Dont know what collar studs are? I am surprised! Didnt your Dad ever wear a shirt with a
seperate collar? You had two studs, a front and back.You used to be able to buy spare collars from
FW Woolies, you could change the collar and not the shirt.Oh Dear! Am a really such a dinosaur
Bernard

Whilst I was watching Henry VIII on TV he made someone a Knight of the Garter and then I thought my dad used to wear garters to keep his socks up. Does anyone still use them? Also do men still use tiepins, cufflinks, fob and watches, arm bracelets, collar studs? I am sure someone on this Forum will know :D
Hi Carol, Havent you found a man of your own to ask these questions?? Bernard

I can remember my dad wearing separate collars with a stud to hold it in place. He told me that the collar gets dirty every day, but the shirt could do 3,4 or even 5 days before needing a wash - and washday was always Monday! How we've moved on in just one generation!

Bernard, Thanks for explaining what collar studs are :) I don't remember my dad ever wearing shirts like that - but maybe he did when I was little and I just don't remember (he was born 1923).

I have just remembered that I recently saw an old wardrobe and inside it had little shelves with mini plaques on the shelf edges and I am sure one of them said collars - although I can't remember what the others said.

I can remember my dad wearing separate collars with a stud to hold it in place. He told me that the collar gets dirty every day, but the shirt could do 3,4 or even 5 days before needing a wash - and washday was always Monday! How we've moved on in just one generation!

Well that makes sense Lloyd - washing was a day long job then - today we just open the machine, throw it all in and go off to the shops ....or the pub if we're lucky :)

My grandad had collar studs and dad still wears a tie-pin for best.
My son has garters - to hold his rugby socks up, but they are called sock-ties now!!
My daughter has acquired arm bands from an antique shop, which she uses to keep her sleeves up when wearing a skirt and jacket!!!!
Modern uses for old items!!
Sue

Oh my goodness all these memories. Michael has double cuff shirts and wears cufflinks. My Dad used arm bracelets to keep his shirt arms up. My sons think all this stuff is out of the ark! How many ladies remember turning shirt collars and top and tailing sheets.........oh dear I think I had better leave!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Wendy - I still use cuff links, and armbands, if going out dressed up. You can still buy those items, in Wellington Shropshire. At Miles the Shirt Man, in the centre of Town.

I am returning home from Thailand, on the 21st, and cannot wait, to show my Wife around Brum - we never got there, previously. This time though, we are staying HOME! love dontheturner (80)

Bernard, you brought back memories to me,when ron was in the RAF,he had seperate collars to his shirts l think it was 2 collars to a shirt, and we still have his studs laying around somewhere, he always hated having to wear collar and tie and still does, thank goodness for weddings etc or l would never see him dressed up....and Wendy l remember turning the sheets we always had twill sheets and they lasted for ever, l'm really showing my age now as l had to darn shocks too, l still have my "mushroom" why l have'nt thrown it away l'll never know as who darns socks anymore....Brenda

Brenda I have a mushroom that once belonged to my Grandmother and I have used it recently to darn some heavy wool socks...old habbits die hard...lol

Don the shirt man in Shropshire sounds great! Have a safe trip home.

Hi Wendy - He is a great character, loves to yarn, and served his apprenticeship, at Beatties. - and finally made it as Manager. So he knows, his products. = they fit good. he was Mayor of Wellington, time ago. love Don

This is for Men Only ! so ladies look away now. Who out there remembers mens shirts with very long tails that tucked right under and obviated the need for underpants? and if you had the luxury of underpants, the ones which had little loops through which your braces were passed to be affixed to your trouser buttons to stop your from falling down.
Regards to all, Reg

Well Roverman,

Drove more than one Rrover - last one was an 827sli - beautiful,--- Still thinking of buying a 75 again, off Ebay! Couldn't resist that. Sorry to thread shift.

Yes I rmember the lops to keep 'em up - but what about trousers with linings in 'em? - didn't realsie I still had a pair, till I packed everything good for coming back to UK, then put this pair on! -- liners to the knees. Take Care dontheturner

Brenda I have a mushroom that once belonged to my Grandmother and I have used it recently to darn some heavy wool socks...old habbits die hard...lol

Don the shirt man in Shropshire sounds great! Have a safe trip home.

Hang on to those darning mushrooms Brenda and Wendy, they sell for a few bob these days. I've seen them in my hunt for vintage tools. Viv.

Back