• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

I don`t remember ever hearing boys jumpers being called ganzys? as a child preWW 2, i first heard ganzy? used in the 1960`s by a Scots friend who said it was a Scottish name for a mans jumper. Len.

Reading a book on fishing folk of the East Coast of Scotland recently it is said that the name derives from 'Guernsey' (presumably where the style of garment originated and probably also without a zip) as mentioned above. It was said that fishermen who had drowned could be recognised by the patterns on their Ganzey. I have certainly heard the term used in Brum but really cannot recall when or by whom.

Click on this - A Google page with quite a bit of reading matter on the subject.

I was born and reared in Birmingham and never heard the word until married. My M.I.Law was from S.Ireland and she always referred to cardigans and sweater/pullovers as gansies.

I think you will find that most of us were born and raised in Brum Stitcher (I was a Loveday St baby)but in those far off days names of things may not have travelled as readily as they now do.

My dad always called his cardi a Gansey. even a nice jumper I knitted him , he called a gansey. Miriam.

Reading a book on fishing folk of the East Coast of Scotland recently it is said that the name derives from 'Guernsey' (presumably where the style of garment originated and probably also without a zip) as mentioned above. It was said that fishermen who had drowned could be recognised by the patterns on their Ganzey. I have certainly heard the term used in Brum but really cannot recall when or by whom.

Click on this - A Google page with quite a bit of reading matter on the subject.

Hi Bernie,

I come originally from a fishing town on the Suffolk coast and the
fishermen's jerseys traditionally had a local pattern which would identify
where they were from. They were referred to as Ganzeys, but up
to now I never knew why! No zips or buttons on these though, they
were always navy pullovers. If you want a really warm and tough
pullover today, go for a military 'NATO' jersey, they don't get much
better.

Kind regards

Dave

My mom used to say put your ganzie on its cold to day

A 'gansey' is sweater made from wool still containing its natural oils; and knitted on four needles.....a 'fishermans' gansey' etc.

Absolutely right - derives from "Guernsey" in the Channel Islands, in exactly the same way that a "jersey" (ie a long-sleeved wollen pullover) does from the island of Jersey.
Graham

Dave89 - I once had an ex Naval Cadet or similar, Pully [that I had to unpick the name off] it was not that heavy but so warm. I was quite sorry top see it go.

gansey/sweater

i am just reading a book about life in hockley in early 1900s. i hadnt heard of gansey being a brummie word
ann

Re: gansey/sweater

Iit predates the very existance of Birmingham and is a fishermans word for a jersey

One of the recent Portillo train programs included a visit to someone who still knits them (though she pronounced it "Guernsey")in Yorkshire. Apparently the design had a meaning and varied area to area, and a true one always included the owners initials, so that , if he was drowned at sea, he could be identified by it. apparently there is a shop at flamborough Head where you can order one of your own, but it takes months before you get it
Mike

thank you i'm a brummie and i remember them as jersey,sweater ,pullover, jumper
ann

thank you i'm a brummie.
i remember them as jersey,sweater, pullover, jumpers
ann

Well if there's a 'Jersey', I'm not surprised there's a 'Guernsey' although spelt differently. Wonder if there's a 'Sark' as well...

"Where's me gansey",I still say it don't everyone ?.:rolleyes:
We have had this one before,it must be in there somewhere.If I remember right the word is still used in the North East,as well as Brum.

A friend who was born in Scotland told me "gansey" is a common word for a sweater, jumper etc in Scotland. Len.

My Mother-in-Law god rest her soul was from Southern Ireland and Ganzi was one of her words.
I have just noticed thaat I have repeated myself on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back