• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Straw style

T,was a Woolen pullover for boys & cardigan style button up for girls
(As issued by Daily Mail benevolence + boots ) :( Sighs Eh!

Try saying Guernsey with a Straw in your mouth :shock:

Hence colloquial pronunciation,,, Many areas Cheers :wink: John

My dad always called cardigans ganzies but I think they were sleeveless ..

Sue......... Correct me if im wrong. As John Young said cardi's were for girls, and Tony had a cardi? :twisted: He didnt wear it when I knew him thank goodness, unless it was the one with the smouldering hole in the chest area?

A mans man

Yep - he wore a cardi - and dapper he looked in it too
It had a zip up the front, all black

Cardi,s

Hi Rod & Sue x (x 4 Sue not R :wink: )

My Sisters had Cardi,s with buttons on girly side, Me Bruv & me
had pullovers, some had sleeves some didn,t.

Don,t remember any with zippers, Must have been posh hand-me downs
:lol: John

Ganzi...Gansey !!!

I think you will find it originates from the Irish community....from my schooldays in Selly Oak with so many Irish school pals...they all called their football jerseys ....Ganseys....I'm going back to late 1940's...I don't wish to admit going back any further !!!! as I've been teling people for years I am only 39 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a crew!! I really enjoyed reading the many aspects of hosiery wearing from the past and present, even the guys versions :lol:

We weren't allowed to wear nylons at school and I had enough problems with ankle socks. They always seemed to stretch or develop huge holes in the heels!!!! I was always glad I had learned to darn in the nBrownies and
the wooden darning "mushroom" was never far away. So I was glad to be rid of those ankle socks for every day wear.

The "stocking" thing was an ngoing "nightmare" situation most of the time. I earned very little at British Railways in l957 and it seemed I was forever looking for cheaper priced stockings. Sometimes I would head down to the Bull Ring Market to find some "seconds". Some of those were a good deal and some of them had ladders in them when you bought them from those spivs.

My Mother used to buy some of her stockings from the Market in Newtown close to where she worked. She, like most women laddered them at an alarming rate. She used to keep loads of them in various states, under a cushion on a chair in her bedroom. I was always in there looking for match-ups to replace my usually laddered and snagged stockings. Naturally, I was forbidden to touch these.

There were all different heel types with seams and sometimes very racy looking black patterned heels, etc...couldn't have those because they would be recognized. l5 denier were the most desired type... 30 denier maybe, but not really!!!!!! My old supervisor at work used to wear the lisle type. Most young girls shuddered because mostly only "spinsters"
and grannies wore those.

My mother was totally oblivious to the fact that I might want to wear nylons at the weekends also. Then there was the matter of shade matchup.......not a great thing to be sitting on the bus going to the Youth Club dance only to find that in a different light each stocking was a different shade :oops: It always seemed daft to me that even though everyone knew these items of clothing were prone to destruction almost from the moment you put them on, that's if you didn't sometimes ruin them whilst putting them on......fingernails ripping them followed by curses as you destroyed the newly donned nylons just before going out
for a special evening, that not much was done to improve them. I could never see men putting up with such a product.

We women all seemed to have little cards of cotton with various shades of nylon thread in order to make hasty repairs at home and in our handbags, plus nail polish to help save the blooming things. Some women were better at this than others...I sadly wasn't!!! Usually, the nail polish was bright red and stuck to my legs thus promoting odd comments usually from men at work and don't ask about the darning situation!.

Then along came the stockings that weren't supposed to ladder...Polly something..... I think. I used to buy mine from Dorothy Perkins. There was always a question of size, somewhat like shoes...I used to wear the size that was the most common and, therefore, sold out first Of course they did ladder eventually. I was so glad when tights came on the market and I remember some girls from London who lived in the same house as me in Toronto showed me them and taught me the three legged idea. :roll: :roll:

Ladder in the stockings

Now here is a story over which I am not very proud. In fact I often recall it and cringe at it. Now if the young lady - well elder lady now, reads this then I do truly apologise.
Many, many years ago I together with some colleagues were parked up in New Street by Ethel Street waiting our time for finishing work.
It was a summers evening and I had the car window open and admiring all the young ladies parading along there.
This unfortunate lady walked past and I noted she had a ladder in one of her stockings. The devil, for some reason, was in me and I called out offering to climb the ladder.
Understandably she said nothing but carried on walking. I do not know if any of our ladies recall - there was a stocking vending machine lower down on the left in New Street and she stopped and inserted coins and bought herself some stockings.
She must have been aware of the state of her stocking and it took one rude young man to embarrass her to the point of having to do something about it there and then.
If it is any consolation to that lady I regretted my stupid and ill thought statement immediately after saying it and for times, in the intervening years, my toes have so called, curled, at the thought.

My very first pair of stocking. It was a special "do" at the church hall, with BOYS. I was about 15 and up to then wore ankle socks, knitted by me during class at school [what was that called, when we sewed and knitted, not domestic science was it?] Anyway....I rushed home from school full of excitement and my mom handed me a package and inside was the most dreadful pair of lisle stocking I have ever seen and a suspender belt, I was distraught. The b......things a sort of uncooked pale sausage colour and almost as soon as I put them on started to wrinkle all round the ankles. :cry: I didn't have a good time and no one asked me to dance, can't think why, red hair, freckles, painfully shy and wrinkled stockings :oops:

No one to dance with.

Hey Grace!
I resent that, I had red hair, I was painfully shy, I had freckles and I wore wrinkled..oops... :oops:

It was called Needlework Grace :D

Before I started buying my Wolseys, like all of us gals I wore anklie socks. D :roll: (Do you remember how after you'd worn them for a while they used to 'bag' at the tops.) Mom had a pair of silk stockings that somebody had sent her from America, they were her pride and joy, and I wanted them so badly that I used to sneak them out of the house and wear them to the church social. She would have given me what for if she'd caught me, and I don't know why she never did. She managed to catch me doing most of the things I shouldn't have been doing. :D

:D Baggy sock tops :( :oops: My sister and I had to buy our own white socks out of our paper round money, so we put with that or we would have to wear 'boys' grey free mail ones, we would put rubber bands under the cuffs of ours as garters and then 'White Nylon' ones came in and even though they cost more after a few washes they turned a grey yella colour :( .

Chris :)

I went to the Solid Silver 60s show at the Symphony Hall last night - a great show that included Gerry and The Pacemakers, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Merseybeats, and The Searchers.

It was one of The Swinging Blue Jeans who asked to be remembered to all the girls who used to dance showing their suspenders at The Plaza in Handsworth. (So, girls, you know who you are.) He also wanted to know if you still use Aspros for emergency repairs?

Hey Paul,
so that was what those Asprins were used for? and I thought it was because of all those head aches the ladies used to get at bedtime :D

stockings.

Paul I bet you had a brilliant time, fancy the Swinging Blue Jeans remembering the dear old Plaza ah ah ah..............My friends and I always carried a few small buttons in our bags(that we danced around) incase one of our suspenders popped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Jackie

One for the wimmin I s'pose although....

Who remembers poppits? They were little plastic balls that clicked together to make necklaces. My sisters had them and I was fascinated by their indestructibility. In fact, I bet there are still a few strings of them knocking around. I've even heard that they're still quite popular amongst certain circles in New Zealand. :wink: 8)

Please, please, clack by me (Diana)

You married a clacking Poppit?
I bet your children look funny.. 8)

:D Funny were only talking about this very subject at work the other day. One of the young girls asked what would you call these giant beads that the young children play with (she was writing up on a child’s activities). I told her they are large puppit beads " Are you sure" she asked. Yes I said they were very popular in the 1950's and 60's all the girls wore smaller versions of them. I even still have some at home (so you are right there Paul). I took them in next day and the young staff member were fascinated by them. However the remark was made that they were too small to let the kids play with even the 4 year olds :roll: Now how many did you get stuck up your nose Paul :?:

Chris

Pomgolian said:
:D... Now how many did you get stuck up your nose Paul :?:

Chris

I was 13 at the time so didn't get close enough to a wearer to get one stuck up me nose. :p

Poppit Beads

I remember them very well, they came in many different colours, you could make the "necklace" any length you liked from a choker, to very large that you could put two or three times round your neck.

Hi everyone.
I remember, back in the 50's, women wearing cloth around their heads, turban fashion. does anyone out there know if this particular piece of attire had a name of it's own?
atb john.

Hi everyone,
I think the headress was just called a turban or a headscarf if I remember rightly.
Sheri

In the late 40's/early 50's (I think) my Mom used to wear a narrow scarf round her head and then wound her hair round in in a sort of roll. I think it was called a 'Victory Roll'

Judy

Judy I think they were just called turbans. When I put rollers in moms hair she would wrap a scarf round her head to keep them in. Bye. Jean.

You may be right Jean, I know they wore scarves round their heads to keep rollers/curlers in and also to keep the dirt out when working, say, in a factory, and that was called a Turban, but how my Mom wore her hair was wound round the scarf and it wasn't to cover her hair. I just found this picture online and the style is similar but without being wound round a scarf.

Judy

Last edited:
A 'gansey' is sweater made from wool still containing its natural oils; and knitted on four needles.....a 'fishermans' gansey' etc.

Back