• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Being poor, !! and wanted so much to be a rocker , at the "Ace of Cards Cafe" , Bristol Road Selly Oak, the ton up boys would go there, much older than me of course, I would have been about 13/14, they wore leather jackets, with skulls and other signs and badges, painted on them, and blue jeans. Black flying boots, with white socks over the tops, real hero's to my young mind. Me with my plastic, leather looking jacket, with a devil rocket sticker on the back, white t shirt, blue jeans, and highly polished wellies with with tops turned down to look like white socks, thought I looked great. but probably looked naff. just about afford the 6d frothy coffee. Can't remember the year , but "Johnny Remember me " was always on the duke box, so about 61,ish. But I loved the atmosphere and the talk about biking., the music too.
as long as you felt cool was all that mattered Paul i never seen polished welliies though.
"Johnny Remember me released uk 1961 sung by John Leyton

Did anyone take to wearing a beret after seeing the Bonnie and Clyde film ? I did for a short while, but it was so reminiscent of school uniform, that I gave it up after a short while. Was never really much of a hat person. I also crocheted them and friends bought them off me !

Last edited:
From age 15 to 62 I was a keen four season camper/hill walker/bushcrafter and long John's were a winter basic for me, very effective base layer. I was given an all in one 'Union Suit', bright red with poop flap by an American friend of mine on one of his visits to the UK, sadly now stored away with the bulk of my winter camping kit :( I still wear a @1995 RAB down jacket in the winter, incredible warm.

From age 15 to 62 I was a keen four season camper/hill walker/bushcrafter and long John's were a winter basic for me, very effective base layer. I was given an all in one 'Union Suit', bright red with poop flap by an American friend of mine on one of his visits to the UK, sadly now stored away with the bulk of my winter camping kit :( I still wear a @1995 RAB down jacket in the winter, incredible warm.
Not too proud to pull on long johns and matching long sleeve top if beach walking in the winter keeps the draughts from my old bones!

Did anyone take to wearing a beret after seeing the Bonnie and Clyde film ? I did for a short while, but it was so reminiscent of school uniform, that I gave it up after a short while. Was never really much of a hat person. I also crocheted them and friends bought them off me !
Is there a fashion for colourful crocheted berets, I notice my next door neighbour makes and then sells in local market.

Back