• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Road Balsall Heath

Re the series The Gangsters, the Birmingham singer Tanya appeared and many of the scenes were filmed in The Rum Runner Nightclub, Broad Street.

Ann

Re the series The Gangsters, the Birmingham singer Tanya appeared and many of the scenes were filmed in The Rum Runner Nightclub, Broad Street.

Ann

Thanks Ann, I was already aware that the Rum Runner (also famous for early Duran Duran appearances. I believe) played the part of The Maverick nightclub. I would be interested to know exactly where it was on Broad Street as I am hoping to put together a website showing "Then and Now" pictures linked to Google Earth.

The Rum Runner was next to the old B.B.C. studio, opposite The Tow Rope Cafe.

Ann

Sorry Ann. I didn't know Birmingham at all at that time. Can you tell me where it was relative to present day places on Broad Street - I'm guessing somewhere near the "Walkabout" Aussie theme pub as one scene shows the "hero" escaping from a back entrance of the club onto the canal towpath.

A couple more shots of the Imperial Cinema and the Moseley Rd/Clifton Rd junction

I was only finally able to confirm that the cinema in Gangsters was the Imperial by matching the details on the brickwork behind the two Austin 1100s to that on Google Earth. Apart from the demolition of the Imperial, it looks like what was a "fancy goods" shop in 1975 has had some extensive rebuilding as well.

Thanks to the historical views on Google Earth, it seems that the Imperial Cinema was demolished some time between Sept 12 2005 and Nov 2 2006 with the building on the opposite side of Clifton Road being rebuilt some time between Nov 2 2006 and Aug 10 2007.

Hi RobertS

Here's some photo's as promised.

Phil

BalsallHeathCliftonRd.jpg

BalsallHeathCliftonRdSchool2.jpg

BalsallHeathCliftonRdInfantsSchool.jpg

BalsallHeathCliftonRd1967betweenRailwayPHHertfordSt.jpg
BalsallHeathRailwayCliftonRd.jpg
My grandparents lived on Clifton rd by faceting white Street ,you would go down an entry to my nans bk garden at the top of the entry was some bk to bk houses dating bk oin the 60's&70's my nan left Clifton road in in 1973 bk then some lovely memories

Hi anyone know the family names Sheila Phillips used to live on Clifton road a few doors down from nan and the mannox family lived next door to my nan lived at 179clifton road .

Hi anyone know the family names Sheila Phillips used to live on Clifton road a few doors down from nan and the mannox family lived next door to my nan lived at 179clifton road .
I knew a Sheila Phillips, she lived at the old pawn shop, think it was 199 Clifton road between 1962 and 1967??

Hi I think it could be she lived towards ladypool rd my gran lived at 179 Clifton rd faceting white street ,by the lamp post bk then .

Does anyone know who were the tenants of the Gladstone pub, on the corner of White St and Clifton Road, between 1962 and 1967?

My great grand dad had a shoe repair business 324, Clifton Rd. 1940's-50's. Near where Clifton Rd meets Stoney Lane.

Does anyone know who were the tenants of the Gladstone pub, on the corner of White St and Clifton Road, between 1962 and 1967?
The electoral rolls for 1962 liost Robert & Carol Rowes. The rolls for 1965 do not list that building , or several others nearby, so assume that they were then empty

The electoral rolls for 1962 liost Robert & Carol Rowes. The rolls for 1965 do not list that building , or several others nearby, so assume that they were then empty
Thanks for the info Mike, my younger sister has a photo of her and a friend called Ann who lived in the Gladstone. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info Mike, my younger sister has a photo of her and a friend called Ann who lived in the Gladstone. Thanks again.
My nan lived over the road from the Gladstone pub on the corner of white street and Clifton road bk then .

Back