• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifton Road Aston

Thank you mikec. Members of my family lived in Gothic Terrace from at least 1881 until about 1939/39. My Mom was born at 2 x 25 Court (Gothic Terrace) in 1913. By the time I got to go and visit it, it had been demolished to make way for Aston Expressway. It is so interesting to hear your description of Gothic Terrace as I regret so much not having been able to see it for myself.
Judy

Hi Ray. My name is Robert Burley and my Father was Arthur Burley who kept the Bricklayers arms. In fact I was born upstairs in the pub in February 1952 and if you have any photos of the place I would be very pleased to see them. Very few of the pictures you have put on the site seem to be available today. I am intrigued by your description of my grandmother as "the bookmaker Mrs Burley". I know a few things about her but this one was new to me.
Hi Rob, I was interested to hear you were born in the Bricklayers Arms. We lived in Clifton Road from 59-69 before moving to Kingstanding. In the early 60's a neighbour of ours, Jack McCarron took over the Bricklayers for a few years. My dad used to help him out occasionally behind the bar. Jack and his family then moved to the Swanpool Tavern, now the Swan and Mitre, opposite Aston Station, on the Lichfield Road in about 1966. Mike

Hi Eric/Aston lad.
This looks very much like the Bricklayers as I remember it and it was on the corner of Clifton Road & Potters Hill. Thanks for the photograph. Mike

I was never a pub goer but my ma in law who we lived with just along the road used to ask me to pop over to the Bricklayers and get her a couple of bottles of Nut Brown Ale.

Hi Ray, I was catching up on recent posts on the Clifton Road thread a couple of days ago and read your reply out to my 95 year old Mother on Thursday - who was in hospital at the time really poorly -I has previously recalled her talking about Arthur Burley many years ago. I thought she would enjoy casting her mind back and recalling memories. She said the Burley family previously lived in
?Thomas Street/Upper Thomas Street behind where my aunt and her family (the Phipps family) lived. She recalled the police being involved due to illicit betting and Mrs Burley, which I understand to have been against the law at that time.
Sadly my mother passed away this morning, so unfortunately I will never be able to ask her anything further.

Could somebody please check my reasoning with regard to the 2 attached pictures. The picture labelled Clifton Road 95 to 107 is I think correct with #95 having a white wall and dilapidated fence. The other picture is labelled Clifton Road 69 to 75 yet this picture appears to show #95 with the white wall and dilapidated fence also, in which case the house numbers must be 95 to 83.

John

Attachments

• Clifton Rd 95 to107.jpg
    Clifton Rd 95 to107.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 62
  • CLIFTON RD 69to75.JPG
    CLIFTON RD 69to75.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 58
When I view the white door in your first image it has number 95 on it so your suggested sequence of house numbers appears correct.

If you compare the photo to this map from 1950 it does look like you are correct.

Clifton Road.jpg

The houses (95 to 87) are shown to have front gardens (69 to 75 haven't) and the two entries (between 95 & 93 and 89 & 87) also match.

Thank you both for your replies, do you recognise any of the 3 attached pics of Clifton Road? by the image numbers on the originals it looks as though the photographer started taking pictures at No. 1 then worked his way sequentially down the road. The one pic shows Brunswick Place but I can't find this on ancestry or a street map of 1950.
John

Attachments

• clifton rd pic 14.jpg
    clifton rd pic 14.jpg
    786.9 KB · Views: 62
  • clifton rd pic 21.jpg
    clifton rd pic 21.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • clifton road pic 16 brunswick place.jpg
    clifton road pic 16 brunswick place.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
I have just realised that pic 14 shows the construction of the A38M and the tree showing is also on a pic I have showing 108-118 in which case the tree is growing next to 106. Any help with the other 2 pics would be appreciated though. John

John....I was informed a while ago that all three photo's are looking towards Park Road from the top end of Clifton Road close to Park Road itself....

Thanks aston lad, Pic 16 appears to have no 44 painted on the door in which case that would be close to park road but pic 21 just doesn't seem to fit in somehow and also there is a break in the houses which I can't find on the 1950s map.

John

Sorry to be a pain on this one but I would really like definitive location for pic 21. As far as I can tell there is only 1 possible point on Clifton road where this could have been taken and it appears to be at the Potters Hill end (see image).
What are your thoughts?
John

Attachments

• clifton rd unknown.jpg
    clifton rd unknown.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 38
l lived at no 10/32 from birth 1943 right through until 1959. I'm sure that picture is not the park road section but the Potters Hill end.
Nutter
(Dave Nutt)

l lived at no 10/32 from birth 1943 right through until 1959. I'm sure that picture is not the park road section but the Potters Hill end.
Nutter
(Dave Nutt)
Brilliant Dave thanks for that, I've spent a considerable amount of time this afternoon trying to fathom that one out. John

Can't honestly say, from vauge recollection I would say the three pics are of the three clifton road sections. Pic1 is looking up Clifton road towards Park Road the photographer would have been standing near Upper Thomas Street junction, (somewhere near the Golden Lion?)
Best of luck with your search.

Hi folks does anyone have a map or photographs of the section in between Upper Thomas Street and Park Road? I'm interested in the central section around numbers 30/50 in particular the yard/court behind No- 32. Thanks in anticipation
nutter
(Dave Nutt formerly of 10/32 Clifton Road Aston)

Hi Dave, is the attached any good? the closest house on the left is number 41, the house opposite would be 42 so No 32 would be a bit further up. Not perfect but a start. John

Attachments

• clifton road aston.jpg
    clifton road aston.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 32
The c1950 map I have of this area is not very clear, so have also put on the c1889 map, which looks fairly similar. I will also combine this thread with the other clifton road one.
map c1889 showing clifton road between upper sutton st and park road.jpgmap c1950 showing clifton road between upper sutton st and park road.jpg

There are many references to Clifton Road Balsall Heath here. Many refer to people that lived there and others about pubs and shops. The one below is a long thread about Clifton Road and a Memorial. So you see most of us here know of the place and don't need to Google it. :grinning:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/memorial-found-in-a-skip.49169/
This is a wonderful history forum with very friendly folk, there is a great deal to read and learn here, so using the search will find some things about your Clifton Road. Remember this is not Facebook but you will find a lot of help, if needed.

ok folks i have now tidied up the last few posts on this thread as off topic...alan i have left your post on as it is very informative and may help other members who get mixed up with the 2 clifton roads...thank you alan thread is now open again

lyn

MY name is lyndzey and my mother was Barbara Billiard now Lloyd she come across this site and has asked my to get in touch with anyone who would remember her or her family

My nan was Doris Billiard my Grandad was William Billiard (bill) my moms brothers were Kenny jonny and Roy sisters were Margaret Cathy (both now Deceased due to Cancer)

My moved to pelsall and in Plant Way.

My mom is eager to hear from people who would remember her or her family

Lyndzey

Back