• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifton Road Aston

Jayell
Here is court 25

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing court 25 clifton road, aston.jpg
    map c 1951 showing court 25 clifton road, aston.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 31
topsy i have never seen that photo before...so very sad..little margaret was only 6 years old...i remember it well...i would have been 12 coming on 13 at the time she went missing and my school used victoria road baths for our lessons...i recall people talking about it when we went swimming one day and even though i lived in villa st which was quite a step away from clifton road i remember the police coming down our entry and making a search of the back gardens...

lyn

topsy i have never seen that photo before...so very sad..little margaret was only 6 years old...i remember it well...i would have been 12 coming on 13 at the time she went missing and my school used victoria road baths for our lessons...i recall people talking about it when we went swimming one day and even though i lived in villa st which was quite a step away from clifton road i remember the police coming down our entry and making a search of the back gardens...

lyn
Yes it was a very scary time when we were kids Lyn . The police also did a search of our entry and backyard when we lived in Clifford St

I am a newbie to this Forum and reading it brought back many memories. I was born in Clifton Road number 155 I moved out in 1960 but my mom lived there until about 1969. To the side of us we had the Hardwicks nee Broadbent, Taylor then Spence. To the other side number 157 was a drapers shop (front only) the Ormes lived behind. Other families that lived the back of 157 was the Hortons, Cockbills, Read and Lewis. I remember Margaret Gibson and Frankie and Tony Bullock lived in Gothic Terrace. Down Clifton Road towards Upper Sutton Street there was a paper shop run by Violet and Len Barker. I remember the bread shop, butchers, coal yard and grocers. My brother used to deliver groceries on a bike for them. I also remember the other grocery and sweet shop, Burnetts opposite us. We used to spend lots of time in Aston Park or Victoria Road baths and I remember the doctor on Victoria Road, Dr Tellekie (not sue of the spelling).

Last edited:
A bit off the title but connected to post #214. The doctor was William Guna Tilleke. I think this might be a photo of him. ! Actually I think the son had the same name so I am not sure the photo is of the one in Victoria Road. One died in 1959 and the other in 1979.

Attachments

• Dr Tilleke.JPG
    Dr Tilleke.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Dr Tilleke photo.JPG
    Dr Tilleke photo.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Dr Tilleke aviator.JPG
    Dr Tilleke aviator.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I am a newbie to this Forum and reading it brought back many memories. I was born in Clifton Road number 155 I moved out in 1960 but my mom lived there until about 1969. To the side of us we had the Hardwicks nee Broadbent, Taylor then Spence. To the other side number 157 was a drapers shop (front only) the Ormes lived behind. Other families that lived the back of 157 was the Hortons, Cockbills, Read and Lewis. I remember Margaret Gibson and Frankie and Tony Bullock lived in Gothic Terrace. Down Clifton Road towards Upper Sutton Street there was a paper shop run by Violet and Len Barker. I remember the bread shop, butchers, coal yard and grocers. My brother used to deliver groceries on a bike for them. I also remember the other grocery and sweet shop, Burnetts opposite us. We used to spend lots of time in Aston Park or Victoria Road baths and I remember the doctor on Victoria Road, Dr Tellekie (not sue of the spelling).

Hardwicke nee Broadbent? My Grandads sister perhaps? Elsie?

I lived at 1/147 Clifton Road until 1959. My parents were Joe and Alice Tattam and we lived with my grandmother Letitia Smith. My Mom's best friend who lived opposite at 1/125 was related to the Barkers who owned the shop, though we never got any discounts on our sweets!

Last edited:
Hardwicke nee Broadbent? My Grandads sister perhaps? Elsie?
Hi,I use to live in gothic terraces and knew Tony Bullock and Margaret Gibson.We lived at no 4.We were the Thompson family (Johnny, Margaret ,Billy and Doris. This is back in the fifties.I found a book called "Aston Remembered" by Victor J Price ,which includes a picture of the sweet shop Bennett in Clifton road.
From Gothic terrace

Hi,I use to live in gothic terraces and knew Tony Bullock and Margaret Gibson.We lived at no 4.We were the Thompson family (Johnny, Margaret ,Billy and Doris. This is back in the fifties.I found a book called "Aston Remembered" by Victor J Price ,which includes a picture of the sweet shop Bennett in Clifton road.
From Gothic terrace

It's so interesting to hear from someone who lived in Gothic Terrace. My own family lived there from at least 1881 up until about 1940. It was called No.25 Court way back before it became Gothic Terrace. My mother was born at No.2 in 1913. Through the years my Gt. Grandmother and both sides of my maternal grandparents lived there and variously they lived at Nos. 2, 7, 10 and 17. When my Gt.Grandmother was living at No.2 it was listed as 2 x 25 Court, 157 Clifton Road. If you could give me a description of the houses or even a photo, I would be thrilled, as I don't know a lot about the Terrace.

Judy

Lindy

Clifton Road was divided into 3 sections. The lower numbers were closest to Park Road. Park Road ran from Aston Cross down to Aston Church.

The next section of Clifton Road had Upper Thomas Street running paralell at one end and Upper Sutton Street runing acroos the other end.

The third section obviously had Upper Sutton Street running paralell and I think ended towards Potters Hill.

Opposite The Golden Lion on the corner of Clifton Road and Upper Thomas Street (1st section) was a chemist called "Saunders", with a bookies on the opposite corner.

I think your uncles shop would have been in the 3rd section.

In the 3rd section there was a laundry shop on the right hand corner (Clifton Rd and Upper Sutton Street) and on the left hand side of Clifton Road just a few yards up from the laundry shop I seem to recall a coal yard.

Not sure if I am supposed to post this bit here (if I have dropped a clanger then I apologise) but in the mid '60's a little girl went missing from Clifton Road towards Potters Hill - Margaret Reynolds. Two other little girls also went missing from other areas at a later date and I think the case was reffered to as the ABC murders. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

Fay

Hi Judy, I lived for a short time, around 6 months, at Number 5/157 Gothic Terrace Clifton Rd.
It was in the middle 60s, I attach a photograph taken of me outside the house.
It's so interesting to hear from someone who lived in Gothic Terrace. My own family lived there from at least 1881 up until about 1940. It was called No.25 Court way back before it became Gothic Terrace. My mother was born at No.2 in 1913. Through the years my Gt. Grandmother and both sides of my maternal grandparents lived there and variously they lived at Nos. 2, 7, 10 and 17. When my Gt.Grandmother was living at No.2 it was listed as 2 x 25 Court, 157 Clifton Road. If you could give me a description of the houses or even a photo, I would be thrilled, as I don't know a lot about the Terrace.

Judy
Me age 15,16 Clifton Rd.jpg

Hi Judy, I lived for a short time, around 6 months, at Number 5/157 Gothic Terrace Clifton Rd.
It was in the middle 60s, I attach a photograph taken of me outside the house.
View attachment 110305

Thank you for the photo Ivor. Can you tell me anything about the Terrace and inside of the houses please. Did the numbers run odds and evens either side (presuming there were houses on two sides of a yard) or just 1,2,3 etc. I have so many questions that I would like to have asked my Mom, but I left it too late.

Judy

Judy
Below is a map showing the numbering of gothic terrace (marked as court 25 here, but the e lectoral rolls definitely show it between 157 & 159 )

map c1950.showing gothic terrace otherwise court 25, clifton road.jpg

hi folks..for those of you with an interest in clifton road hang onto yer hats:D as soon as i have edited and resized i will be posting some never been seen before photos .will be back asap

lyn

Thanks so much for the map Mike. Sorry for the delay in my reply but I seem to have missed the post as I have been away. Very interesting to see the layout of Gothic Terrace. I was told some years ago that the houses had small front gardens - would you think it is the garden shown on the square in front of the numbered square? Or is this just part of the communal yard area? Also any idea why some are unnumbered on the map?

I'm pleased that Court 27 is also shown as my granddad's sister lived at House No.4 in this Court. So thanks again.

Judy

hi folks just read quickly though this thread again and its a pity that a couple of members who have posted on it have decided to leave us as i think there are a couple of houses in these photos that relate to them...anyhow that aside i will need some help with a couple of the photos as to the exact corners they are on..not being my neck o the woods i dont have a clue...one on them shows a terrace which i guess could be the muched talked about gothic terrace but there again there could have been more than one terrace in this street..

ray one of the photos show numbers 108 to 118 so i think 106 is out of shot..hope they bring back memories for some of you..will start posting them very shortly:)

lyn

Last edited:
Jayell
As I understand it the square areas on these maps (in general, not particularly this map) were gardens, though, as I understand it some later regressed into a general area not always shown on the map

ok as promised a few new ones...dont forget i am taking photos of photos so some may not be perfect..

pic 1 numbers 108 to 118
pic 2 numbers 69 to 75
pic 3 numbers 95 to 107
NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 003.JPG NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 004.JPG NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 005.JPG

5 more

Attachments

• NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 012.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 012.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 66
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 014.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 014.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 60
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 016.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 016.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 60
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 020.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 020.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 58
  • NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 021.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 021.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 61
pic 1 is this clifton road running down ?

Attachments

• NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 022.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 022.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 51
which corner is this on ?

Attachments

• NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 023.JPG
    NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 023.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 51
is this gothic terrace...looking at the door post on the left hand house it looks like no 106 had been written but a terrace would not have such a high number so is it the back of number 106..a mystery to solve..thats the lot folks

NEED ALLEY..BARR ST.CLIFTON RD. WATERWORKS ST 015.JPG

With reference to pic 2 in post #230. Is 69 the nearest house and would the entry have led to back houses? My great grandfather's address which was 6 court 9 in 1939 became 6 back 69 in 1945.

Great pictures btw.

hi mws...i believe the numbering goes from the closest house in view so yes 69 would be in shot...i think mike maybe able to work out if that entry leads to any back houses..over to you mike

lyn

Post 234....This a view of Park Road looking towards Aston Cross, Clifton Road is on the right on the photo, and I am not 100% sure if its Upper Portland Street on the left, or just Portland Street...Another great set of photo's Lyn....

Back