• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifton Road Aston

Hi Mikec - I know that my family lived in Gothic Terrace, which was Court 24. They lived in the same Court from at least 1881 until 1925. Gothic Terrace was very near to you as it was between 157 and 159. I only wish that I'd been able to visit the area while it was still standing. So I love to hear about it and what it was like. Judy
hi judy did you ever find a photo of gothic terrace

lyn

Just joined the site. Fascinating stuff and so many memories jogged. My grandfather was William (Bill) Baglin, who owned the coal merchant on Clifton Rd. His sons, Arthur and Ken (my dad) worked there when they were young but got out of the dirt and grime as soon as they could. We lived on Upper Sutton St in the late 60s for a few years when the redevelopment was going on, two houses up from the pub (The Crown?) on the corner of Upper Sutton St and Clifton Rd. I think the landlord's name was Albert Selman? My dad's second cousin ran the coal merchant at that point - I think his name was Edwin Baglin. Other names I remember from the time - Paul Terry (neighbour on Sutton St); the Hagans (from Clifton Rd); the D'arcy's (Sutton St); Annie Bagley (quite a character, I remember). As I said, we were there when everything was being knocked down and the Expressway being built. Mr Sears, my teacher at Upper Thomas St, got quite mad at me for having dirty shoes in the morning after walking across the bomb sites and over the bridge crossing the huge trench that became the A38, and made me clean my shoes in front of the class. Happy days. Still have the scar from falling into the cellar of a house that had been knocked down on Clifton Rd. Wow, years since I remembered any of that!
Hi I am new here my mom is Lily Baglin daughter of Edwin Baglin who ran the coal merchant

Clifton Road Coal Merchant

During the early 1960s i lived next door to the white swan pub on upper sutton street. I remember my dad sending me around the corner onto clifton road to the coal yard pushing an old pram, and some coal would be tipped into it. Am i right if i say the people who owned the coal yard had the surname of Baglin. The man i remember was always dirty looking to be expected if working with coal, he was a large man with a ruddy face, he wore a flat cap, and a small pair of spectacles. You would always see him in the area delivering in his lorry laden with coal sacks Who was he.?
My mom is the daughter of Edwin Baglin her name isLily

Just joined the site. Fascinating stuff and so many memories jogged. My grandfather was William (Bill) Baglin, who owned the coal merchant on Clifton Rd. His sons, Arthur and Ken (my dad) worked there when they were young but got out of the dirt and grime as soon as they could. We lived on Upper Sutton St in the late 60s for a few years when the redevelopment was going on, two houses up from the pub (The Crown?) on the corner of Upper Sutton St and Clifton Rd. I think the landlord's name was Albert Selman? My dad's second cousin ran the coal merchant at that point - I think his name was Edwin Baglin. Other names I remember from the time - Paul Terry (neighbour on Sutton St); the Hagans (from Clifton Rd); the D'arcy's (Sutton St); Annie Bagley (quite a character, I remember). As I said, we were there when everything was being knocked down and the Expressway being built. Mr Sears, my teacher at Upper Thomas St, got quite mad at me for having dirty shoes in the morning after walking across the bomb sites and over the bridge crossing the huge trench that became the A38, and made me clean my shoes in front of the class. Happy days. Still have the scar from falling into the cellar of a house that had been knocked down on Clifton Rd. Wow, years since I remembered any of t

Richard l see you travelled afar like me ..l ended up in Lake Jackson tx..l wonder how many Astonites ended up in the USA..Brenda
Hello Brenda! Not too many I’m sure! My wife’s family is in Dallas & Houston, my daughter went to law school in Dallas. How long have you been there?

l arrived in June 1958, middle of Texas summer, l told my mother l know what hell must feel like as it was so hot, l don'nt think l've ever get climatised after all these years, we live a few miles from the beach but never go there, what we need right now is a tropical storm (not a hurricane..been through quite a few ), maybe a rain dance would do anything to get some rain. Brenda

l arrived in June 1958, middle of Texas summer, l told my mother l know what hell must feel like as it was so hot, l don'nt think l've ever get climatised after all these years, we live a few miles from the beach but never go there, what we need right now is a tropical storm (not a hurricane..been through quite a few ), maybe a rain dance would do anything to get some rain. Brenda
I got to NJ in November 1962 just in time for a very cold winter. I lived ab 1 1/2 hours from the beach would go occasionally. We built a beautiful home on the water in SC and loved until we found TN (came here to work), great climate for the most part, wonderful healthcare. Sold our home in SC two years ago, to many storms come up that coast. We need some rain as well!

Back