• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Road Balsall Heath

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
Please could someone point out 79 and 123 Clifton Road Balsall Heath on a map suitable for the 1920's
They appear to have been knocked down or rebuilt on Streetview.

Mike
79 is in red. 123 in blue

map_c_1913_clifton_rdB_no_79_and_123.jpg

sospri

I think there may be something awry with the link you have posted because the photo on that link looks a lot like Camp Hill Station which was at Highate Rd which I would say was just under a mile closer to town than Brighton Rd. The first photo here is Camp Hill Station and the second one is Brighton Rd. Take a look and compare them with your link.

Phil

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Camp Hill Station.jpg
    Sparkbrook Camp Hill Station.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Balsall Heat Brighton Rd Station c1920.jpg
    Balsall Heat Brighton Rd Station c1920.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi Phil,

You could well be correct, especially with that building in the background. From your photograph of Brighton Road, it certainly has a wooden platform, but I'm no expert on these matters - I merely Googled!

Maurice :cool:

Maurice,

I'm no expert on railway matters either and my only interest in Camp Hill station is that I used to live nearby.

Phil

"Wild West Town"

Hi guys
does anyone remember a "wild west town" springing up on one of the "bomb Pecks" around the Brighton Rd/Clifton Rd in Balsall Heath, about 1969/70 ish, i think it was only for a couple of weeks during a school holiday, you could change your money for "dollars" spend it in the salloon on drinks or in the store for snacks.
They had donkey rides, and used to play act gunfights, the town was built up by siting sheds and making facades on them to make it more "wild west" it was possibly run by students from a university or a local youth group.
I remember having a great time there, but can't remember all the things that they had on there

Mike. That map in post #2 is interesting in that, for a time, we lived in Brunswick Road. From memory, number 103. On the posted map, going NW from White Street, and count 12+ residencies, there is an alleyway, which actually branched to the rear of adjoining properties. On the right of the alleyway [as per viewing the map] was where I/we resided.

Your map shows, on the other side of the road, 'avenues' of houses. I can't remember them. I can certainly remember 'bomb sites' in that vicinity where we used to play. NW of those 'avenues', and on the same side, were a group of about five shops. One I can remember as being a Newsagent but as for the others.......

Another feature in the road was Denhams Taxis. They were on the same side as us but possibly the other side of White Street. Their main Business was Wedding Cars and had significant parking within/through the premises.

If you could post an updated, downloadable map, I would be grateful.

Thanks Mike.

That's much as I remember it with the site cleared where the houses were demolished after bombing.

Mike. That map in post #2 is interesting in that, for a time, we lived in Brunswick Road. From memory, number 103. On the posted map, going NW from
Mike. That map in post #2 is interesting in that, for a time, we lived in Brunswick Road. From memory, number 103. On the posted map, going NW from White Street, and count 12+ residencies, there is an alleyway, which actually branched to the rear of adjoining properties. On the right of the alleyway [as per viewing the map] was where I/we resided.

Your map shows, on the other side of the road, 'avenues' of houses. I can't remember them. I can certainly remember 'bomb sites' in that vicinity where we used to play. NW of those 'avenues', and on the same side, were a group of about five shops. One I can remember as being a Newsagent but as for the others.......

Another feature in the road was Denhams Taxis. They were on the same side as us but possibly the other side of White Street. Their main Business was Wedding Cars and had significant parking within/through the premises.

Street, and count 12+ residencies, there is an alleyway, which actually branched to the rear of adjoining properties. On the right of the alleyway [as per viewing the map] was where I/we resided.

My first encounter with Denhamn was in early 1950 Father and son ha one car only they worked frequently for the Racing fraternity Frankie Powell in particular

Does anyone remember a Mrs. Matthews (later Sallis) who lived at 59 Clifton Road from about 1939 until 1960 - her first name was Isabella (aka May) and she worked as a Barmaid.

I know her father George Parry worked as the manager of the Red Lion Inn on Duke Street in the late 1930's so not certain if that is the pub she worked at?

Back