• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Cinema, Great Barr

My father mentioned to me hearing something about a Chinese restaurant but I wonder whether it would be a viable business in such a residential area? I doubt it somehow.

Sadly I believe there are quite a few redundant cinemas all over the UK, they are a bit of a white elephant because of their size.

There are three old cinema buildings not very far from where I live in London, one of which is still going as an independant cinema which is great. Another has been split into units - two or three shops on the street level and a snooker hall at the back. The third has been turned into a Turkish muslim centre with shops in the front part and a community centre in the main auditorium.

I dont think the restaurant was going to happen before the fire. I believe they applied for serving hours that were outside the original licence and claimed that if not granted it wouldnt be economical to run, that was at least a couple of years ago.

Great pics Chris. I went past many times but never saw inside must of been great in its day and up to the 70's then. But those pics bring it to life. It was Wing Wah who asked for planning permission. Can't believe it wouldnt be granted just even in order to retain the building. Maybe the neighbours objected. Pity a compromise couldn't have been reached.

I went to the Clifton from when it opened untill I moved to Devon in 1960 & I haven't seen it since,I will always have very happy memories of the Clifton as I did a awful lot of courting in the back row of the circle,didn't see many films in those far off days !!

I stumbled on this thread by accident and it was sad to see the poor old Clifton in such a state. It was such a wonderful art-deco building.
If your father was manager during that time, I would have known him (my poor recollection - I was only a child - thinks his name may have been Mr Hall?). Anyway, my father who was in the St. John's Ambulance Brigade, always went on duty on Saturday evenings during the war and your father, presumably, let my mother snd me in for free, which was very nice. There was also Saturday Morning Club for children and the Clifton Cinema ran a sports club which was held at Dorrington Road School. Happy days!

Hi Wally, my Dad, Alex Tuck, was Manager of the Clifton from its opening in 1938. He had worked for the Clifton Cinema Circuit for many years and was supervisor for the area. (He was manager at the Regal in Wednesfield and the Clifton in Fallings Park, West Bromwich, before moving to the Clifton). We lived opposite the cinema at 595 Walsall Road when I was a baby. I think he had probably left the Clifton by about 1944-ish. I wonder if you knew him? Your Dad certainly would have done if he was in the St John's Ambulance during the war, and on duty on Saturday evenings.

As a teenager in the mid-50s I also worked briefly for Cinema Accessories Ltd, whose offices were in Corporation Street. Cinema Accessories booked films into the Clifton Group of cinemas and dealt with all the admin, under the eye of Ken Jones who was General Manager of the Group.

Judy

My memories of the manager, presumably your dad, was that he was very tall and had wavy hair - would that be him?

No Wally, he was of medium build with thinning hair. I'll try and find a photo to put on for you.

Judy

Here you are Wally. Dad holding me at the front of The Clifton about 1940/41. I had just fallen down and was looking grumpy!

Judy

ps Tried to enlarge picture and messed my post up!

Attachments

• Clifton 2.jpg
    Clifton 2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Thanks for the picture, but it does not ring any bells - I was only 6 in 1940. It must have been the manager who followed who I remember most.

In our local newspaper recently it was reported that the Clifton would reopen as a Cinema but it could just be another rumour, we have heard so many.
Lynne.

In our local newspaper recently it was reported that the Clifton would reopen as a Cinema but it could just be another rumour, we have heard so many.
Lynne.

thats right lynne and before that we heard it was going to be chinese restaurant so who knows...

lyn

thats right lynne and before that we heard it was going to be chinese restaurant so who knows...

lyn
It's in the Great Barr Observer but can't find anything online that planning has been approved for a restaurant and banqueting suite and all the existing original features will be kept intact so good news in a way that the building has been saved, work starts shortly:positive:

Hello Brumgum:

You can access the the Planning Applications filed in the last few months by Birmingham Council for the Birmingham
area. They are displayed weekly in PDF format. In this case you can hit the highlighted file for September 1st to 7th. then on the left hand side hit Perry Barr and
the info for the Clifton Cinema comes up. It took a bit of searching because it didn't come up until I hit the Perry Barr link. It's just basic information but this site is great for looking up what private residences and businesses are seeking planning permission for. Since the old Clifton Cinema is a Grade 2 Heritage building
the owners would be restricted in what they can do to the building. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/planningweeklylists

Hello Brumgum:

You can access the the Planning Applications filed in the last few months by Birmingham Council for the Birmingham
area. They are displayed weekly in PDF format. In this case you can hit the highlighted file for September 1st to 7th. then on the left hand side hit Perry Barr and
the info for the Clifton Cinema comes up. It took a bit of searching because it didn't come up until I hit the Perry Barr link. It's just basic information but this site is great for looking up what private residences and businesses are seeking planning permission for. Since the old Clifton Cinema is a Grade 2 Heritage building
the owners would be restricted in what they can do to the building. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/planningweeklylists

Hello Jennyann,

thank's, got that:triumphant:

hi all, drove passed the Clifton this afternoon and looks like they were doing something to the windows on the front of the building, ladders put, up. don't know wheather they were boarding them up or what, kind reguards sidwho

hi all, drove passed the Clifton this afternoon and looks like they were doing something to the windows on the front of the building, ladders put, up. don't know wheather they were boarding them up or what, kind reguards sidwho

hi sidwho i believe that the refubishment has now started..think its going to be some sort of very large restaurant..

lyn

Back