• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Cinema, Great Barr

Re: Clifton Cinema, Great Barr saved

Jennyann

Thank you so much for posting this link. My Dad, Alex Tuck, was manager of the Clifton Cinema on Walsall Road. He was probably there from the opening in 1938, as he was Manager of 4 cinemas and Supervisor to the whole Clifton Cinema Circuit in the Midlands. We lived opposite the cinema at 595 Walsall Road when I was a baby. During the war we used to go across to the Clifton's cellars to shelter when there was an air raid. I'm sure he would be glad to know that the building is being made good use of.

Judy

Ah the Clifton Cinema, brings back many happy memories to me,happy days when i lived in Great Barr BB

This is a picture of my dad, Alex Tuck, and me outside the Clifton Cinema, Great Barr, taken 1940. I had just fallen over and wasn't too happy when this photo was taken !!

Judy

Well that's wonderful news. I used the Beacon and the Clifton in my younger days in Great Barr; saw many movies and learnt much of the female anatomy in their upper circles (excuse the pun).
I recently dined in a converted cinema in Cheltenham, it's a perfect alternative use for such a splendid building.:cool:

Thank you for photo, i was born in Rockey Lane. i dont remember the Pic though,but spent many happy hours playing in Perry Hall Park do you remember the Pond at the back of rocky lane, where we used to catch fish and frogs BB

I don't know the cinema, but it looks a fine building and well worth saving.

Phil

Attachments

• Great Barr Walsall Rd  Clifton 1954.jpg
    Great Barr Walsall Rd Clifton 1954.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Appreciate
Reactions: ade

Nice photos. I used to be in the Clifton Cinema Childrens Club, we had a small green badge with CCCC on it. I used to eagerly await each Saturday morning episode of Flash Gordon, but saw an episode recently on TV and couldn't believe how amatuerish it was.

Lovely photo of you and your Dad Judy. It's so great that through this forum we have posts from people who have connections to so many Brum places that we frequented
over the years. I hope everything works out for the new business at the Clifton Cinema.

Hi the Clifton Cinema in Walsall Road,Great Barr is now going to be a chinese eatery.
I have just read this in tonights Express & Starr.

Regards Midge

Glad to hear the Clifton is being saved, i grew up in Rocky Lane in the fithties and sixties. I spent many hours in the Clifton and i saw Zulu five days on the trot there, still my favourite film. On the night of the pub bombing i left the City Centre to go to the Clifton. A lucky move.

Good to hear that the building will survive and be used. I lived nearby from just after the war until the late 60's. The Clifton was a popular and well used cinema in the 50's and 60's. I have a range of interesting memories of it...every Friday night visiting with my parents (very civilised) and again on Saturday morning for the childrens club (the noise was deafening!!), of being asked to leave during an Elvis Presley film (actually innocent that time) and a few years later the manager kindly allowed a group I belonged to to practise every Sunday morning---the cleaning staff even seemed to enjoy it. Strange what memories a posting can revive. Happy days.

Thats great News, I use to go there just after the War with my cousins on a Saturday morning to see Judy Garland & Micky Rooney.
My cousins lived on Beeches Estate their Dad was my Dads only Brother:)

Judy love the photo and oh that hat. We pass the Clifton on our way to the pet shop for Billies food. Jean.

This article was in todays Great Barr Observor thought it may be of interest. Hope you can read the writing. Jean.

Yes Jean, my knitted outfit was rather smart wasn't it :D Fashion of the day!! Good article on the old cinema. I think next time I'm in Brum if they have got the Chinese Restaurant up and running I will try it out. Judy

I used to visit the Clifton on Saturdays. Also remember the fishing tackle shop, winfields i think, in the same block. I used to buy a pint of maggots to go fishing on the canal over the bridge in the late fifties.

Thank you John for getting rid of my childish scribble!!! I think the photo now makes me look really bad tempered and grumpy :D Thank you for the restoration. Judy

Never noticed that look on your face before Judy. I reckon I used to sulk when I didn't get my own way [still do sometimes]. Jean.

Back