• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifford Street Aston,

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
did you ever live in clifford aston if so here is the declining of clifford street aston 1967
here is a photograph of clifford street aston , have you got memories of clifford street
whendid you leave clifford street

Attachments

• 4-1-2017.jpg
    4-1-2017.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 58
did you ever live in clifford aston if so here is the declining of clifford street aston 1967
here is a photograph of clifford street aston , have you got memories of clifford street
Hello there, my Mom told me she lived in Clifford street ,she was born in 1921 but has sadly passed away in 2010. Her maiden surname was Finney, she had two brothers and three sisters one of which died very young from a fever.

hello mike and welcome to the forum...i think i may have a couple of photos of clifford st which i will post when i have a min...in the meantime do you know what years your mom was in the street as i maybe able to check the electoral rolls on ancestry for you to find out what number her house was?

lyn

Hello there, my Mom told me she lived in Clifford street ,she was born in 1921 but has sadly passed away in 2010. Her maiden surname was Finney, she had two brothers and three sisters one of which died very young from a fever.
Hi Lyn in reply to your email, my Mother as far as I know lived in Clifford street from birth in 1921, not sure when her family moved out though.

well as you know mike you had to be 21 in those days to be listed on the electoral rolls so really i would need her parents first names if you had them...if your mom still lived in clifford st after she married i would need her married name...first name would also be useful...ive just had a quick look at the 1955 e rolls which shows a william and hannah finney but that was in wilton st

lyn

well as you know mike you had to be 21 in those days to be listed on the electoral rolls so really i would need her parents first names if you had them...if your mom still lived in clifford st after she married i would need her married name...first name would also be useful...ive just had a quick look at the 1955 e rolls which shows a william and hannah finney but that was in wilton st

lyn
Hi Lyn, my mothers father was named Harry Finney, she didn't live there when she married my Dad.Im not sure of my Grandmother s name though.

yes john thanks to photobucket uploads and of course the hacking of the forum some years back a lot of photos on that thread have been lost having said that a lot have been posted since.... i will ear mark it andwhen i have time i will try and get it tidied up

lyn

Last edited:
I think that this is The Alhambra PH at 77 Clifford Street, can anybody confirm that this road did slope down towards Guildford Street.
EDITED 12/3/21: This photo was actually Gt. Russell Street NOT Guildford Street

Attachments

• guildford-st8.jpg
    guildford-st8.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 24
  • map-77cliffordst.jpg
    map-77cliffordst.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I think that this is The Alhambra PH at 77 Clifford Street, can anybody confirm that this road did slope down towards Guildford Street.
c. 1880-1882 Samuel Taylor (gold jewellery maker)
It then looks as though he changed profession,
c. 1883-1884 Alhambra PH (Samuel Taylor).
No.77 remained as the Alhambra PH until at least 1921, the licensee from 1896-1921 being George Wall
c. 1932 Toe H (Cavendish Association)
c. 1955 to 29/10/1964 (forced closure) D. T. Hastings Ltd. (sheet metal workers).

john i dont think that clifford st sloped and im not certain your pic shows the alhambra but stand to be corrected here is a photo of the alhambra corner of guildford and clifford st..guildford st running down ...if your photo is of the alhambra looking at the other corner looks like its a shop...so maybe you could find out if no 75 guildford st was a shop of some sorts..

alambra pub guildford st and clifford st no date.jpg

Last edited:
john im sure ive seen that photo you posted before but it was not the same location...something is telling me its great russell st ..i will need to check it out...

lyn

john i dont think that clifford st sloped and im not certain your pic shows the alhambra but stand to be corrected here is a photo of the alhambra corner of guildford and clifford st..guildford st running down ...if your photo is of the alhambra looking at the other corner looks like its a shop...so maybe you could find out if no 75 guildford st was a shop of some sorts..

View attachment 154177
Thanks for the reply Lyn, the picture I posted was taken (I think from Clifford Street (going up to the right and looking back to Guildford Street), in which case No. 75 would be where the lamp-post is on the left hand side of your picture. You can just about see No. 75 on the original pic that I posted. I've compared what little I can see with the only other image of No. 75 that I have (as you can see it has been bricked up) and the lintel over the 1st. Floor window seems to match.
Great picture by the way, I now have more pictures of Guildford Street than Park Lane.

Attachments

• 77cliffordst-comp.jpg
    77cliffordst-comp.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
hi john as suspected i have the same photo but it does say its gt russell street so one of us has got the wrong caption :rolleyes:

gt_russell_st_23_redo.jpg

That could be the answer then, I'll look into that and even if it is I now have the picture of the Alhambra anyway that you just posted. Thanks Lyn

yes john no rush to sort out that photo as i know the one i posted is deffo of the alambra...will have a look later on tonight and let you know if i can confirm its location

lyn

You're right of course Lyn. I Found another image of Gt. Russell Street and the pub smoke room is shown on both. I'm trying to confirm each image before I include it on the map so your help (with your knowledge of the area) is invaluable.

Attachments

• gt-russell-st-comp.jpg
    gt-russell-st-comp.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello,
Thanks to the opening up of the 1921 census, this thread is of real interest to me and it's great of everyone to share photos on the forum. My Dad, Ronal H Sprason was born in Clifford Street on March 19 25, and in 1921, his elder brother and two elder sisters were living at no. 78 with my grandparents Annie and Charles Sprason. My grandad didn't use his first name and preferred to be called Harry (Henry). The family moved from Clifford Street to Anglesey Street a few years after my Dad's birth. However, my dad never mentioned a public house being on Clifford Street however, he may have been too young at the time of the move, to remember it.

Last edited:
born at 23 clifford st 1941.fab memories nan &grandad lived 4doors up opposite porchester arms,fetching quart pint ale in jug.taklng dads bet to bookies in inkerman st,playing roller hockey in william st.good old days.moved to rednal 1957,dad worked at john levicks opposite 23.gower secmodern lozells.

born at 23 clifford st 1941.fab memories nan &grandad lived 4doors up opposite porchester arms,fetching quart pint ale in jug.taklng dads bet to bookies in inkerman st,playing roller hockey in william st.good old days.moved to rednal 1957,dad worked at john levicks opposite 23.gower secmodern lozells.
Hi don 1 welcome to the forum, have you seen the pictures of Clifford Street at:

www.leroux.co.uk/aston

Back