• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CLEWS connections politely requested, please

D

DaveClews

Borh my side and my mother-in-laws side have CLEWS's -but we cannot find the connection. Anyone with Clews connections please get in touch. Thankyou.

Re: All CLEWS connections politely requested, please

Hello:
Assuming that this is an uncommon name I took the liberty of looking up this name in the Canadian Archives database: Hope this helps in your research.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Isobel

WW1 Soldiers - Canadian Expeditonary Forces - you can view the original Enlistment papers online
https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...canada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html&r=0&f=S

Names: CLEWS , ERNEST Regimental number: 434661 Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 1797 - 13
Born- Birmingham - Aug. 25th, 1892 - NOK. Wm. Clews

Names: CLEWS , WILLIAM Regimental number: 434073 Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 1797 - 18
Born Birmingham - Sept. 28th, 1891 - NOK Jessie Clews -Wife

Names: CLEWS , WILLIAM E Regimental number: 30382 Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 1797 - 19
Born: Birmingham - Jan. 13, 1883 - NOK Mary Clews - living in Birmingham

Home Children sent over to Canada to work on farms from the U.K.

\https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...canada.ca/archivianet/02011003_e.html&r=1&f=G

Home Children

CLEWS , Harry

Sex: M
Year of arrival: 1906
Microfilm reel: T-501
Ship: Siberian
Port of departure: Liverpool
Departure Date: 12 Jun 1906
Port of arrival: Halifax
Arrival Date: 23 Jun 1906
Party: Middlemore Homes
Destination: Halifax
Reference: RG76 C 1 b

I have an Ann Clews born in 1844 Stourbridge/Old Swinford/Lye who married Jacob Newall of Smethwick.

F.H Clews lived at 20 Mornington Terrace Smethwick was in the Royal Navy in the Great War and Survived
A.E. Clews Lived at 2 Corfield Terrace, High Street Saltley.was a Gunner in Royal Garrison Artillery and died inthe Great War
If needed I can suppy you with more info on another 34 From Soldiers who Died In the Great War
14 from the Midlands

Hi Dave, Just updating my "trees" & found a

Kate Clews born 1892 Birmingham 3rd Quarter vol 6d page 41, married
William T Farr in Birmingham 1913, a few Farr children ensued,
Contact if this is helpful to you as I have not researched Clews any further(Side branch)
Best regards John Y

Hi Dav.

I've got clews in my family tree, but haven't been able to find much information on them.

My Aunt Breatrice Cross married a Kenneth Clews in Aston he was born 1914, they had a son Kenneth M Clews born 1937 in Birmingham.

Not much else I can tell you.

Ray

hi dav
i do not know whether or not you may be intrested or not but there was a mr clews whom owned a cycle shop and a petrol station
where he sold parfinn and petrol from the pumps in ladywood i beleived he lived above the shop he had a daughter but never recall her name
hesop was on the corner of monument rd and king edwards rd ladywood he was there for many mny years long before i moved there in fact it could have been the thirtys or even earlier or later but i inow he was there in the fifties up until about 1958-9
he was an oldish guy many years older than me away years above me ;
the shop was on the corner of monument rd and the petrol pumps was at the side of he shop in kingedwards rd and he had a cycle repair section ;
a very busy shop way back then ;he alway had a reddish complexion face a very nice gentleman nd a happy man
he hd a daughter whom was an oldish lady whom would come from time to time at wee ends to visit him
i donot know what his christian name was but its mr clews as his surname always wore a pom. pom hat
but any way i do knowhe kept a very big house up on the city rd ;edgebaston ;
so i thought for a suggestion ;if you got one of our xperts to do a cencus or electrol roll at either city rd -as it was at the corner house rotten park rd as his garden wall wason city rd off the dudley rd and is front door could come up as one or the othere city rd - rotton park rd for the fiftyies at least up
until 1957-8 as where i spoke with him on a sunday morning passig him and calling him the gardeninghis garden and he stopped and spoke
or you can get them to check kingedwardds rd out for his name clews of king edwards rd and monument rd bussiness ; i know once we did have a pic of his shop on thi site but most of the pics some onehis sitting tight on them as they was shanged hied some time ago ;
surely you could a christian name of this mr clews and work it out from there regarding sibblings like his daughter i beleive at one time in his life he was an amature actor or some kind because when he left we found a wig of a old judges eig of that type with other things ;
wish you all the best inyour research ;as you say there could not have been that many clews ; best wishes astoniann

Hi Dave,
My Gt Grandmother was Emma Clues/Clews ( found the name spelt in different ways) born in Hampton in Arden in 1837 I do have some more informtion on the family if there is a connection with your Clews.

Regards Pat

Dave, we had neighbours called Clews, Brian, Sylvia and their 4 sons, in the 1970's they were from Brum, let me know if you want more info.
Also, one of my work colleagues is a Clews by marriage, her hubby and his family are from Tile Cross/Lea Hall.
Sue

Hi Dav.

I've got clews in my family tree, but haven't been able to find much information on them.

My Aunt Breatrice Cross married a Kenneth Clews in Aston he was born 1914, they had a son Kenneth M Clews born 1937 in Birmingham.

Not much else I can tell you.

Ray
My father was Kenneth Clews. I would be pleased to hear from you Ray.

Further to recent items regarding the Clews family a lot information has been collected most of has fallen in place including finding a cousin I knew existed but have never had contact.
I one piece of a Jigsaw still outstanding my cousin we have found had a half brother which had never heard his name was Nicholas Clews his mother was Patricia Outram his father was Kenneth Clews the marriage didn't last long and Patricia remarried a Loy in Sutton Coldfield.
If it's the right Nicholas Clews I've found lived in (2002) Cranwell Grove B24, (2003-2005 )221 Birdrook Rd B44, (2012)Abbots Rd in Reading he was born 1946 I can't find any other information.
Would appreciate any more help with information he may not have any knowledge of a half brother as did my cousin.

Ray

Hi Ray
The old mr clewes i have mentioned at the begining of the these threads of a mr clews
whom had a cycle business in ladywood from the year dot , but to be honest i cannot say how long
before he started the busines i have got a photo of his business which started way back
he was an very active old fella snowwy hair i would be presume he was a blonde haired lad as a kid
he also used to sell petrol and parafin from pumps connected to his shop with a litle forcourt
he employed an german man after the war i dont think i will be allowed to print his name
he lived across the road from mr clewes shop he done all his cycle repairs on expensive ravcing cycle bikes
and he sold car accessorories as well , I will down load a picture tommorrow night for you and for any body else whom
may and want to see it
he lived in a great big house with his daughter whom was also named Emma whom one or a another member
of the family was involved in acting my brother got an old style court judges wigg from him
and lived at the very end of portland road edgbaston way back in the fiftys
and i have reason to beleive is name was nicholas as well
but going by your date of 1946 he was born many years before 1946 date
if anybody as axcess to the early cencus from the early years thirty foty fifty, period they surly would get the info,
just thinking of the top of my head the book i have is up stairs so tommorrow i will dig it out
because i think thats where i got his name in my head because the picture of his shop and name
well ray i speak to you tommorrow and down load the picture i have got for this gentleman
i say that word because of his gentle spoken manner to everybody he was not a every day man, if you get my drift
best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,

hi ray
I Just want to say that i opologise for not down loading a picture of clewes shop as i promised but i had abit
of a problem on the home front so i could not fish out the book ,rrest assured i do know i have got
and i know i have the book and i am certain it is my filing system of photographs
I ill do it some time tomorrow, i felt i had to re write this thread to let other people know
I am not spoothing about it best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,,

Hello Ray,

My husband is related to the A E Clews 1885 mentioned by O.C. above. He was married to Alice Brimble 1890 and they had a son Frederick Clews born 1913 in Aston, Birmingham.

Hi RAY
I Have been searching for my old books today and i have happen to come across one of two books
with a mr clews in it and a photograph of his cycle shop on the corner of kingedwards road and monument road
i have another book some where with a better picture on it with his name clearer
So i have down loaded a picture of there shop [ clews ]
but whilst i have put it up for you ,
On another site called old ladywood there is a brillient clearer picture of clews shop , i knew this clews as you will see our old
house in king edwards road when we moved from lichfield road its 243 to 245 kingedwards road
and mr clews is across the way on the corner
here is the book picture of clews cycle shop

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 20
Hello Ray,

My husband is related to the A E Clews 1885 mentioned by O.C. above. He was married to Alice Brimble 1890 and they had a son Frederick Clews born 1913 in Aston, Birmingham.
Hi Cat 179
Albert Edward Clews was Married to Alice Maud Brimble at St Sav. Church in Saltey Jul 1909 you can't find on BMD as A E Clews has the area of 8d it should read 6d.
Children Ivy May Clews b 1910, & Frederick William Clews B ?
Is this any help
Ray

Hi folks
Following the discovery of a cousin with the help of BNF I've seen him for the first time on Skype this morning after over 60 years of family searches.

We chatted for over an hour he lives in Portugal it's been really wonderful unfortunately my Nan and Uncle and Aunts all but one has since passed away and haven't been able share this event.

Whilst talking to him this morning he told me his Grandfather was Benjamin Cresswick the famous Birmingham sculpture he carried out many works on Birmingham Buildings.

One notable works was on the Swimming baths In Nechells I think they were on the corner of Aston Church Rd and Long Acre does anybody know if the are still in place.

I found an interesting website of his work www.benjamincresswick.org.uk members might find it interesting he was born in Sheffield before moving to Birmingham.

Has anybody got anymore more information.

Last edited:
Back