• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cleveland Road, Balsall Heath

Pats

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find out what Cleveland Road looked like between 1940 - 1950. I wondered if anyone had any photos which showed the houses or bomb damaged factories. Thanks. Pats

pats,

Somewhere on this site there are several colour photo's of Cleveland Rd, I know because I have seen them. I don't know why but myself and the search engine on this site don't seem to get on, and I am never able to locate anything.

I have no doubt some kind person will come on to assist you, in the meantime here are a couple of photo's that I have.

Phil

BalsallHeathClevedonRdTennants.jpg

BalsallHeathClevedonRd.jpg

Pats
These are a bit later than you wanted, around 1970, when the area was being "redeveloped". They may be the ones that Phil meant,, but am not sure if I put both on.
mike

13A__Corner_Clevedon_Road__cox_St_west~0.jpg

Thanks mikejee.

The photo of Cleveland Road has a belting bit of information still on the wall above the shop premises.

I'm looking at the Quaker/Evening school movement and it bounced off the page.

Cheers

Robert
Don't know whether its any help, but in the 1933 Kellys, No 50A Cox St West is given as (partly) Balfour early morning school. The building shown seems to be no 50 cox st west, so possibly 50A was upstairs
mike

Thanks Mikejee

As they say, another brick in the wall. I will have another look based on this info.

cheers

Thanks Phil and Mike, the photos are fantastic. I have been to Birmingham Central Library and the two photos they have of Clevedon Road (the third was missing) are nothing of the quality of the ones you posted.

Another question. Do you know where Parker & Osborne were located along Cleveland Road, and also what they manufactured. This building was demolished in a bombing attack sometime during the war.

Pats
The map here is from 1890, so there may be some differences. The area marked brown is Jakeman walk. Parker and Osborne were immediately to the left of it. As i say, the buildings may have altered, but the firm would certainly have been on the site in blue, or an extended site
mike

map2520bottom2520clevedon2520rd.gif

Last edited:
Hi Pats

Mike has got the location spot on, I remember that the bombsite was used as a storage area for Lincoln St Motors in the 50's and it was used for storing old cars etc

As far as I can make out Parker Osborne were manufacturers of glass overmantles. They were the glass covers that went over gas lighting.

Phil

Thanks Phil, I realised afterwards that I hadn't answered the question as to what they did. They were there as Parker & Osborne (overmantel) Ltd in 1933 and 1940. Before that in 1912 and 1921 it was Avondale Bakeries, and in 1896 John wilkinson, Rope maker and paper merchant, who presumably originally had a large part of Jakemens Walk as a rope walk
mike

Thanks once again Mike and Phil for all of your help. The map was most interesting because I have a 1954 OS 1:12500 map which shows large plots of land either side of Jakeman Walk with no housing. Possibly the housing shown on your 1890 map, to the right of Jakeman Walk, were damaged during the Parker and Osborne bombing and were subsequently pulled down. Was this empty site used to store cars as well, or was it used for something else. Thanks, Pats

Pats

The simple answer is, I don't remember but I know a man who will. I will get in touch with him and get back to you.

Phil.

Pats

I have had an email from my friend who now lives in Holland, he was born and was brought up during the war in the area around Cox St and Clevedon Rd, and he used to play on all these bomb sites as a child. Seems strange having to contact Holland to answer a question about Balsall Heath.

This is a sketch of the bomb sites in the area as he remembers them. It shows that the houses from Cox St West to Jakeman Rd were not bombed, but demolished in the course of time, and now I come to think of it the Indian chap who owned the Manzil curry house in Digbeth lived in that row of houses until they were demolished.

I hope that it may be of some use to you. If you compare it to the map you will soon work out whats what.

Phil

05/01/12. Sorry but it looks like I never kept a copy of this sketch.

Thanks once again Phil. I am still on the Graham Stringer trail and trying to make contact with him, or his cousin Terry. From the sketch map drawn your friend in Holland it seems he lived six houses from the Stringer home. I wonder if he knows where the Stringer boys are now. Pats

Pats

I thought they lived in Clevedon Road, John lived in Cox street, but I'll ask him if you like.

Phil

Yes Phil. According to the 1954 OS map No 45 Coxs Street West is six doors along from 2 Clevedon Road, which is just round the corner. Thanks

Pats

Pats

Sorry John said, although the name sounds familiar he has no knowledge of the Stringers, and he left the area for pastures new before it was flattened, by the demolition contractors, not the bombs.

Phil

Pats

I just came across this, Parker Osborn after the bombing in 1941.

Phil

BalsallHeathClevedonRdParkerOsborn.jpg

Back