• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cleve Terrace

Stevehanson

master brummie
Hi, does anyone remember Cleve Terrace, it ran from Owen street to Bath row,where the girls entrance to Piggot street school was accests. We had your typical up the entry Peaky Blinders betting shop in Owen street.

I know we have done CLEVE TERRACE on here before, over on the Passages and Alleyways thread.....but this first shot of a school on there amazed me when it cropped up a year ago..........never seen nor suspected it's existence....lurking in Cleve Terrace all those years ago...King Edwards Girl School....later KEGS for Girls Handsworth, my daughter's alma mater......she even parodied the Sports ethos like Ronald Searle's Molesworth....bless....

Attachments

• 17353241_1574289762611509_5444193927559278496_n.jpg
    17353241_1574289762611509_5444193927559278496_n.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 17353547_1574289995944819_674731444075144292_n.jpg
    17353547_1574289995944819_674731444075144292_n.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 41
  • BellisSt.jpg
    BellisSt.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Cleve Terrace 1.jpg
    Cleve Terrace 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Cleve Terrace 2.jpg
    Cleve Terrace 2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Cleve Terrace looking towards Bath Row 1960.jpg
    Cleve Terrace looking towards Bath Row 1960.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 47
  • OwenstCleveterrace1960.jpg
    OwenstCleveterrace1960.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 42
Cleve Terrace can be see to the right of this photo, was taken standing in Owen street.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 22
I know we have done CLEVE TERRACE on here before, over on the Passages and Alleyways thread.....but this first shot of a school on there amazed me when it cropped up a year ago..........never seen nor suspected it's existence....lurking in Cleve Terrace all those years ago...King Edwards Girl School....later KEGS for Girls Handsworth, my daughter's alma mater......she even parodied the Sports ethos like Ronald Searle's Molesworth....bless....
Hi, Dennis. Did you live in this area at one time?

Hi, we lived at 3/21 Pigott street from 1950/1959, if you face Pigott street while standing in Owen street, you could just about see our entry. Myself and younger brother both attended Pigott street school and like you my other brother was born at 3/21. What was your surname .

These are amazing images of Owen st. and Cleve Terrace. This is fascinating! My great grandmother was born here! Where do you find those old maps of the city streets? I'm trying to figure out where 54 Owen st may have been. In the 1883 Kellys directory it says...and here is cleve terrace but on another page says his address is 54 Owen st. Do you know which map the Kellys directory is referring to when it says "map E5"?

Attachments

• kellys directory 1883 grubbs on owen street image 188 crop.jpg
    kellys directory 1883 grubbs on owen street image 188 crop.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 3
In answer to the last part of your query. The Kellys directories usually originally had folded maps included. When copies were scanned the maps were usually not scanned because their size made this difficult. the references in the text, however still remained.The map from the directory will be less detailed than the one you have already seen and will not show numbers. The map c1950 below shows 54 Owen St. The map here and on an earlier post is from https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

map c1950 showing cleve terrace and 54 owen st.jpg

In answer to the last part of your query. The Kellys directories usually originally had folded maps included. When copies were scanned the maps were usually not scanned because their size made this difficult. the references in the text, however still remained.The map from the directory will be less detailed than the one you have already seen and will not show numbers. The map c1950 below shows 54 Owen St. The map here and on an earlier post is from https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

View attachment 145802
This is fantastic! Thank you so much. Do you know if the Kelly's directory showed the living address or their place of employment as he was a shopkeeper/bookbinder or maybe it was both? I will try the link for the maps, thanks!!

If you read the writing under the last photo in post #11 - it says "demolished in the 1960s" - so long gone I am afraid but excellent photos posted by Lyn (Astoness).

Back