• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clements family

jmoon

proper brummie kid
I am researching my wife's family. Her great grandfather was Henry Arthur Clements (1873-1924) who married Selina Mary Farrow (1873) at Edgbaston parish church in 1894. On his birth certificate it says his father was William Clements and his mother nee Jane Harris.

I have been unable to find William & Jane in any other records. Does anyone know anything about them?

I would be very interested if anyone has any info on this family. I have a Jane Harris in my tree. She was born in Overbury Worcestershire, but the family came to Birmingham about 1852. I also have Clements in my family tree who were also from Overbury and married to Rhoda Harris. Could be a connection?
Lynda

all i can say that there was a clements family living in springfield street lady wood many years ago and he kept a grocery and provisions and sweet shop combined
he was there for many years than i can say and edgbaston was just the rd from spring field st there may be a connection , and there may not but look at the cencus or electrol roll during the fifties or before but i know he was there right up until the last stand of the bull dozers of spring feid st he was as old as the shop
best of luck astonian .;;

Hi Bren,

Many thanks. Looks promising. Found them in 1851. Jane was born about 1828 so Henry Arthur Clements would have been born when she was 45. Just about possible. Will check further.

Sorry, yes i found them in 1851 and like you thought it is a "possible", let's hope they are as easy to find in later Census

bren

i also have clements in my family tree and am having great difficulties finding anything out

rose clements born 1886 mother of ruth clements born 1909 (no father on birth certificate) rose may also be the mother of beatrice clements born 1903 on the 1911 census they are all at kings norton workhouse where ruth was born any help with more information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks to Lynda Harvey for her reply. I have checked out the Overbury Clements and they are not my line.

The marriage spotted by bren has given me the breakthrough I needed and have now traced the family through the whole of the victorian period. They moved from London to Aston about 1860.

Hi jue12,

Have checked the 1891 census and could only find 1 Rose Clements in Birmingham. The family is:
William Alford Clements 41
Elizabeth 34
Ann S 13
William A 11
John 8
Joseph 6
Rose 3
Clara 1

thanks for your help but this doesnt seem to be the right one i dont know where else to look but i am very grateful for you taking the time to look for me many thanks

A very late response to this - i have a marriage to a Clements in my family. My paternal grandmother became Rose ( Rosina) Clements in 1954 ish - she married Michael Nugent Clements. This was her second marriage. They did not have any children as she had 3 from her first marriage and she was widowed in 1941. Uncle Mike as I always called him was a really lovely man.

my husbands family is Clement's they came from Worcester and moved to aston Birmingham info I have found from going through the parish records Baptism of Arthur Herbert Clements at St Peter & Paul Church 30th September 1900 Arthur Herbert Son of Hubert & Lizzie Clements Of 5 Court 1 House Park Road Hubert occupation Bicycle. Herbert son of Hubert & Elizabeth Clements 3rd February 1905 of 5 Vicarage grove Vicarage Road Hubert .occupation Moulder. Burials St Peters & Pauls Ernest William Clements of 3 Yew Tree Road 3rd April 1916 Age 17. Hubert Clements 1 Weston Road (of 3 Yew Tree Road) 24 February 1945 Age 89

Clements Family Baptisms St Martins 2nd Feb 1846 Mary Jane daughter of Thomas & Jane Clements of Moor Street occupation Labourer Born 2nd May 1834. 10th Dec 1853 William John son of William & Lydia Clements of Digbeth. 21 July 1851 Emily daughter of John & Lydia Clements of Digbeth. 9th Nov 1849 Louisa daughter of John & Louise Clements of Digbeth occupation Victorille. 8th Aug 1849 Lydia Sarah daughter of William & Lydia Clements of digbeth occupation Wine Merchant. St Peters & Paul 9th Oct 1908 Edith Frances daughter of Ethel Clements Bk 18 Church Road.

hi all
i hope somone can help me im looking for info regarding harriet clements father charles clements.
harriet married samuel harris in birmingham . harriet was born abt 1859
kind regards

Back