• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cleaver Kate nee Davis

kah

Flamenco Brummie
Sorry, me again - I wish my family would just put themselves on the census, get married and generally make my life easier!

I am now trying to find a marriage record for Kate Davis to Harry Edward Cleaver. This possibly happened in 1880 as I can find a Harry Edward Cleaver record for that date.

Also, any tips of where I could go next? All I have is her on the 1891 census listed as born in 1854 in Montgomereyshire, Wales and her name and Harry's on Eva Cleaver's (born 1890) and Claudine Cleaver's (born 1896) birth certificates. Oddy, a Kate Cleaver also appears listed with Claudine in Wales but she's the wrong age and described as single. Oh, and one died in 1897 in Birmingham!!!

Putting my faith in the brilliance of the site members to make any sense of this!!!

Karenanne

Re: Kate Cleaver nee Davis

hello karen, i would say the marriage in 1880 is correct and this could? be your couple in 1881 although kates age is different and where born :rolleyes:

dartmouth st. aston bham

thomas clews (but could easily be cleaver) widower 69 brass founder
harry grandson 23 brass founder
kate granddaughter 18
ada 4 mths

all born bham. what do you think??

having looked again karen im not so sure. will keep looking though :rolleyes:

Thanks, I don't think it can be either - though I think you're right about Clews being Cleaver and there is an Ada in the family somewhere. Will have to get my notes out. Really grateful for your help. I am dreading trying to trach down a Davis in Wales as I can't even seem to sort my Bham lot out!!

disregard that 1881 i posted as im sure its incorrect.

how about this for 1901 in bolton rd aston

harry ed cleaver widower 43 railway carr. and wagon repairer b. warks
richard d cleaver son 17 general lab. coal merchant b. oxfordshire
daisy victoria cleaver daughter 15 b. warks
eva kate cleaver 12 b. warks

had a look where daisy was in 1891 and found her in leamington with george and emma aubrey and family. she is their niece

on the same page in leamington is another cleaver family (joseph and annie with their children)

it seems to get more complicated :D

Yes, far too complicated for my brain!!! The 1901 census family is mine and the Daisy in Leamington. It's the disappearing kate that intrigues me. Looks like my mom and I need to get in the car and go to Wales!! Kx

Harry Edward Cleaver married Kate Davis Dec. 1880 Aston 6d 528

Hi Karenanne, is this any use to you?

Harry Edward b. June1858 Warwick 6d 432.

Thanks for confirming that Rowan! How do you people do this?? Starting to think I am the most incompetent family history researcher in the world! If I get a copy of the marriage certificate will it give me more info on Kate's place of birth/parents??? Kx:)

Marriage Certificate:

This records (1) the date of the marriage (2) Full name of both bride and groom (3) Their ages, if it says "of full age" it usually meant they was 21yrs or over. (4) Condition, ie – bachelor, spinster, widow etc. (5) Their profession. (6) Home address of each. (7) Full name for father of both bride and groom, if deceased this will be noted. (8) Profession of fathers.

In the section below it tell you where the marriage took place, who officiated and the name of the witnesses, take note of these as they could be family members you don't know of.

Hi there,is this your Kate?
Name:Kate Cleaver
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1856
Year of Registration:1897
Quarter of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death:41
District:Aston (1837-1924)
County:WarwickshireVolume:6d
Page:218

as harry was a widower in 1901 the death in 1897 of kate cleaver looks very likely to be the correct one.

kate cleaver 1897 jul-sep aston 6d 218

b. abt 1856

found this on ancestry

catherine davies b. 1855 chr. 14 mar 1855 in llanwyddellan, montgomery, wales

married 1880 in aston

children. richard davis cleaver b. 1884 in banbury oxfordshire
daisy victoria cleaver b. 1885 in leamington spa , warks
emma dawkes cleaver b.21 mar 1888 in 28 althorp st. leamington
eva hannah kate cleaver b. 1890 in leamington spa
claudine alice cleaver b. 29 apr 1896 in 223 bolton rd. aston

catherine cleaver/davies died in 1897 aston

her father was william davies b. 1829 in llanfair, montgomeryshire
he died 1906 tregynon montgomeryshire

mother was margaret hughes b. 1832 in llanfair, montgomeryshire
she died 1867

they married in 1851 montgomery 27 205

Thanks to everyone for your help with this - especially Sheera! :) I think you are right re: William Davies - and Claudine is with him in 1901! I had found him on the census but got confused because there is a Kate of a different age there. Will now get birth certificates etc and try and tie it all up. It is starting to make sense now!!!! THANK YOU! Karenanne

I don't know whether the following from 1911 census is of any use to you
1911 Census
CLEAVER, Harry Edward Head Railway Wagon Fitter aged 52 born1859 Leamington. Married 3 years
CLEAVER, Edith Mary Wife aged 40 born 1871 Oxford
CLEAVER, Charles William Son aged 5 born 1906 Birmingham W Shire
Address: 105 Herbert Rd Small Heath.
Harry Edward Cleaver married Edith Mary Shirley
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Birmingham (1837-1924)
County: Warwickshire
Volume: 6d
Page: 187

CLEAVER, Richard Davis Carter aged 27 born 1884 Oxford Banbury
Married 6 years
CLEAVER, Ada Wife Stamper aged 26 born1885 Warwick Bham
CLEAVER, Ivy Daughter 5 1906 Warwick Bham
WHILEY, Alice Boarder Single aged 19 born 1892 Stamper Warwick Bham
Address:5 /375 Bolton Road B'ham
Richard Davis Cleaver married Ada Whiley
Year of Registration: 1905
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Aston (1837-1924)
Page: 764

And also Eva and family
Eva Hannah K Cleaver married Edward Thomas Goode
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Aston (1837-1924)
Page: 263
In 1911 census
GOODE, Edward Thomas aged 26 born 1885 Warwickshire Birmingham (Hardening And Tempering Wire For Wire Rope Making)
GOODE, Eva Hannah Kate aged 21 born 1890 Warwickshire Leamington
Married 3 years
GOODE, Edward Thomas Son aged 2 born1909 Worcestershire Yardley
GOODE, Claudine Clarisa Daughter aged 0 (3 MONTHS)born 1911 Worcestershire Yardley
Address:
2 Arthur Terrace Arthur Road Hay Mills Birmingham

Yes, that's my lot - and thanks for the maiden names of the women too! :) K

Hi. Seeing the name Emma Dawkes Cleaver was a surprise! That was my Nan! Well the dates match, and its a rather unusual name as well (she always said she was Welsh). She married William Harvey and lived at 50 George Road Small Heath. Had 5 children, Stanley, Eva, Elsie, Errolle (my mom) and Kathleen. Only Kathleen still alive (2012). Emma died aged 91 I think. Everybody called her "Pem"

Hope it helps a bit,

Kev

Hi Kevin Kate Cleaver nee Davies was my great grandmother.My gran (Eva Hannah Kate Cleaver ) was your nans sister. Aunt Pem was at my wedding in 1958 !I met Kath the only surviving si ster last year and we had quite a chat .Its a small world ,it turned out that my mum and Kaths husband Ron were in the same nursing home at the same time and neither of us knew .Margaret.

Back