• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CLARKE, William George

MatthewClarke

Brummie babby
Now this IS really intriguing. My grandfather HAROLD had a younger brother who appears to have been born in Manhattan, New York on September 11th 1907 and baptised there later that month. I am almost certain that he soon returned to Birmingham and lived in Oxford Street, Stirchley, with his mother MARTHA and father GEORGE HENRY as well as brother HAROLD. There are so many questions that remain unanswered; why would his pregnant mother undertake such a journey? why return so quickly? how could this be afforded by a working class family? etc etc.
Any help to unravel the mystery of my dad's Uncle Bill gratefully anticipated.

What was the surname of the family and do you know where George Henry or Martha were born? Was Harold born in the UK? Did Martha and George marry in the USA or the UK?

The family is CLARKE. William's father GEORGE HENRY was born in Birmingham, and married MARTHA DUNKLEY from Rugby in Birmingham in 1907. The whole US connection is baffling, as is the timing of the journey and birth being in the same few months as the birth of the marriage!

George Henry Clarke married Martha in the last qtr of 1906 perhaps they were on honeymoon
George Henry Clarke , a barman and his wife Martha travelled from Liverpool on the Lucania and landed in New york on 20th Oct 1906
they were visiting a friend William Green of 8 Bethune Street, New york city( a long honeymoon though if they were still there in Sept 1907)

Wow, thank you. Perhaps an emigration for a better life that didn't work out, and then a voyage back to Birmingham after William was born?

I see the family on the 1911 census, Martha is registered as having two children and William George is registered as being born in the USA. However George Henry is registered as being born in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. The marriage took place in Kings Norton which (I think) was also in Worcestershire at that time. Birmingham would have been in Warwickshire.

On the 1939 register there is a entry for George W Clarke born 10 September 1879 - Travelling Salesman. Martha b. 12 November 1883 Unpaid Domestic and William G born 11 September 1907 Professional Accountant. They are living at 110 Bridge Road, Saltley. Harold is not with them but he is probably living at a different address at this time. I am still looking for travel records.

Matthew , in your first post you say your grandfather had a younger brother, Harold was the younger born 12th August 1910

Just out of curiosity, the Street view of 8 Bethune Street NY, on the end at the right by the crossing...

4EF70757-568A-4558-A6F4-ECA6DBCFE646.jpeg

George Henry Clarke married Martha in the last qtr of 1906 perhaps they were on honeymoon
George Henry Clarke , a barman and his wife Martha travelled from Liverpool on the Lucania and landed in New york on 20th Oct 1906
they were visiting a friend William Green of 8 Bethune Street, New york city( a long honeymoon though if they were still there in Sept 1907)

Alberta, please could you tell me where you got this information from? I've been trying to find the source of this information, but finally admitting defeat! It's the travel information I'm struggling with.

Last edited:
Back