• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CLARKE, Marion Millicent (nee HOLDEN)

MatthewClarke

Brummie babby
I am the grandson of Marion Clarke, who lived at 154 Thornbridge Avenue, Beeches, Great Barr until her death in 1996. She had two sons, John and Philip. Unraveling the family history is proving to be most enjoyable, but a little complicated and confusing. I believe she had siblings, though none were ever mentioned to the family whilst she was alive, and her early years have always been shrouded in mystery. Does anyone remeber anything about this wonderful woman, or her family?
I know that she worked at IMI for a long time

Last edited:
Daughter of Harold Hyla Berthold Holden and Maud Ethel W Thornton.

Three siblings Dorothy May 1906, Frederick Harold 1910 & Jessie 1915.

Harold died WWI 10 Aug 1917.

Thank you!
Jessie is a new name to me. The other two have been suggested, but never Jessie. Someone once mentioned a Mary Ethel.

There is a birth of Mary E Holden mother Thornton in 1913 Aston and a death in Kings Norton of Mary E Holden age 9 in 1922.
There was only one Mary E Holden born in the Midlands in 1913 so I think this may be your relative.

Apologies, it is Mary E and not Jessie. I was looking at the marriages instead of the births.

Possibly died young in 1922.

That's really helpful, thank you. Do your records show any history for her husband - Harold Clarke - at all?
I have a birth date of 12th August 1910 at Stirchley, but little more than that.

A transcription of the WW1 Pension Record for Sergeant Harold Holden (service no. 200146 in 5/R Warwick Regt. T.F.) lists his dependents as Maud b. 8 Apr 1885 (his widow) and 4 children Dorothy May (b. 2 Dec 1905); Maria Millicent (prob mis-transcription of Marion) b. 22 Dec 1904 (prob mis-transcription of 1907); Frederick Harold b. 15 Jun 1910 and Mary Ethel b. 7 Jul 1913.

The attached newspaper cuttings look to be relevant to your research.
Holden.jpg

That's really helpful, thank you. Do your records show any history for her husband - Harold Clarke - at all?
I have a birth date of 12th August 1910 at Stirchley, but little more than that.

Possibly son of George Henry Clarke and Martha Dunkley. Elder brother William George was born in New York.

Back