• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clara Parker family history.

bombed out brummie

master brummie
Could anyone help please with any information on Clara Maria Parker nee Chapman. She married John William Parker in 1904 in St Gabriel's church Aston. They are not on 1911 census. Perhaps on the 1939 Register. Any info after 1904 appreciated, thank you in advance.

8 court 12 Upper Trinity St in 1939. Name appears to be Parkes not Parker.

At 241 Lawley St from 1950 - 1962.

Last edited:
From the possible birth registrations of their children they appear to be in the Aston district but can't spot them.

yes according to the marriage cert its definately parkes not parker
Thank you for your help and the info, sorry, but I don't quite understand, as there seems to be a mix up, The G.R.O Index definately says John William Parker 6d 108 Dec quarter. Also, when I looked at the marriage register from St Gabriel's some years ago I wrote down Parker. Clara gives her year of birth on the certificate as 1884, does that match the 1939 register, and was there anyone else at that address in 1939? appreciate your help.

8 court 12 Upper Trinity St in 1939. Name appears to be Parkes not Parker.

At 241 Lawley St from 1950 - 1962.
Thank for your help and the info, sorry but I don't quite understand, as there seems to be a mix up. The GRO Index definately says John William Parker 6d 108 Dec Quarter, 1904. Also when I looked at the marriage register for St Gabriel's some years ago I wrote down Parker. Clara on the marriage certificate give her year of birth as 1884, does that match the 1939 register, also is anyone else at that address in 1939? thanks for your help.

Mistakes happened. Definitely Parkes.

With them in 1939 are their son Joseph, birth and death registered as Parkes, and their daughter Susannah (Smith), birth and marriage registered as Parkes.

Clara birth is also given as 1887 on her death. It's possibly she lied because she would have only been 17.

John William Parkes was born 27 July 1887 Dudley, son of James Parkes & Emma Davies.

John William Parkes was born 27 July 1887 Dudley, son of James Parkes & Emma Davies.
Thanks again for your help. Please don't think I am being ungrateful or difficult, I am just trying to find out where the mistake is, as its not like the GRO Index to make a mistake, and I wrote it down from the church register, and I need to be sure I have the correct people. Have you seen the marriage certificate in 1904, if so, it should say Clara's father was Edwin Chapman, trade, a Slater. What age did Clara give on the certificate. I am not sure where the Smith in Susannah's name comes in. Sorry to be a pest but you know what we family historians are like for detail. Thanks again

here is the marr cert father looks more like edward (slater) not edwin definately says parkes and the signartures say parkes including a witness eliza parkes..click on the cert twice to enlarge...have to say i find subscribing to ancestry is well worth while

lyn

40458_316613-00416 (1).jpg

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
here is the marr cert father looks more like edward (slater) not edwin definately says parkes and the signartures say parkes including a witness eliza parkes..click on the cert twice to enlarge...have to say i find subscribing to ancestry is well worth while

lyn Thank you so much Lyn. Sorry if I doubted the info, it must be my writing, and putting too much faith in the GRO Index. I would love to join Ancestry but as a pensioner I have more pressing needs. I am so grateful for people on this forum for all the help I get. Thank you once again.

View attachment 153079

hi bombed out brummie same as me a pensioner this is why whenever i feel the urge to dib into my family research i only subscribe to ancestry for a month at a time..its only £13.99 for a months subs...if you were to buy that marr cert i posted it would have cost you about that ordering it from the GRO so you have got your subs money back straight away...happy to help

lyn

Last edited:
hi bombed out brummie same as me a pensioner this is why whenever i feel the urge to dib into my family research i only subscribe to ancestry for a month at a time..its only £13.99 for a months subs...if you were to buy that marr cert i posted it would have cost you about that ordering it from the GRO so you have got your subs money back straight away...happy to help

lyn Thanks for the tip Lyn

I assume this is a related to your Susannah Chapman/Arnold Fisher query in which I suggested that Edwin Chapman was Edwin Foyle.

One further piece of info for that query is that it appears the Arnold Fisher's mother was Edwin's sister, maker Arnold and Susannah cousins.

Also I've been trying to find a birth registration for Susannah and Clara but nothing under Chapman or Foyle. However I think I've found them registered as Horton (for some reason) mmn Barlow. There are also baptisms for both in Bordesley Susannah 6 Dec 1882 and Clara 23 Sep 1885, parents Edwin & Elizabeth.

Never make assumptions. I made a mistake thinking that Edwin Foyle (1901) and Edwin Chapman (1911) were the same person. Just coincidence and transcription errors.

Edwin Chapman the father of Susannah Maria and Clara Maria was born in Austrey, Warwickshire. He was registered as Edward Orton, Jun 1850 Tamworth the illegitimate son of Ann Orton who went on to marry William Chapman (reg. Sep 1850).

That is why his daughters were listed as Horton.

The coincidences on the 1911 census are that both Edwin Chapman and Eliza Shepherd are both listed as relative instead of Father in law and Aunt. And Edwin's dob and place are wrong.

I assume this is a related to your Susannah Chapman/Arnold Fisher query in which I suggested that Edwin Chapman was Edwin Foyle.

One further piece of info for that query is that it appears the Arnold Fisher's mother was Edwin's sister, maker Arnold and Susannah cousins.

Also I've been trying to find a birth registration for Susannah and Clara but nothing under Chapman or Foyle. However I think I've found them registered as Horton (for some reason) mmn Barlow. There are also baptisms for both in Bordesley Susannah 6 Dec 1882 and Clara 23 Sep 1885, parents Edwin & Elizabeth.
MWS, Thank you so much for your latest info, and the previous info some time ago about Edwin Orton. My head is now bussing as I think you have found the answer to a 30 year mystery. It is so complicated that I need to sit and map it all out. But the fact you added mmn as Barlow to Susannah and Clara, makes me totally confident that I have now also found my grandmother, Elizabeth Earley's mother. My grandmother who I lived with until I was 10 said she was born in 1881, father, John, I could not find a birth that year. I did find a birth for Elizabeth Earley 3 years earlier in 1878, fathers name James, although their trade's were the same ,so I was never sure, although I kept it on file. Her daughter told me my gran's mother later married Edwin Chapman who already had two daughters, Susannah and Clara Chapman, making them her half sisters, although there is no marriage for Earley/ Chapman. Now you mention Barlow as their mmn, on the birth of Elizabeth Earley 1878, her mothers mmn is also Elizabeth Barlow. Susannah Chapman married Arnold Fisher in 1901, so was it legal then for cousins to marry? To complicate it further, Clara Chapman married John William Parkes in 1904, who may well have been the brother of James Henry Parkes on the 1901 census who Susannah was boarding with. Once again MWS, I am so grateful, I can't thank you enough if this turns out correct, as I am confident it will, once its all down on paper.

That's great but two things.

If Edwin already had 2 daughters (Susannah & Clara) before he 'married' your great gran then your gran and Susannah & Clara would be step sisters not half sisters. They would be half sisters if your great gran was also Susannah & Clara's mother, who seems to be an Elizabeth Barlow.

Might have confused things a little but I can't find a birth for an Elizabeth Earley around 1878.

That's great but two things.

If Edwin already had 2 daughters (Susannah & Clara) before he 'married' your great gran then your gran and Susannah & Clara would be step sisters not half sisters. They would be half sisters if your great gran was also Susannah & Clara's mother, who seems to be an Elizabeth Barlow.

Might have confused things a little but I can't find a birth for an Elizabeth Earley around 1878.
MWS, Thanks for putting me right, it was a senior moment, put it down to the excitement of confirming my great grandmother after so long. The birth certificate of Elizabeth Hurley, (on her marriage its Earley so I forget and use both without thinking sometimes) anyway its 24th July 1879, father James Hurley, mother Elizabeth Barlow, living in Warwick Terrace, William Street, Aston. I have looked for a marriage of Elizabeth Barlow /James Hurley/Earley, nil and tried the censuses, nil, also looked for marriages of Horton /Barlow, Horton/ Earley/Hurley, Chapman Hurley/Earley nil, deaths of John/James Hurley/Earley on Familysearch and Free BMD, but nothing that fits I can see. Because I now live in Devon I can't get to the library as I used too. Edwin seems to have been a bit of a lad!! But thanks for your interest, time and trouble.

I assume she married Richard Marson. Some of the children seem to be registered with mmn Hurley and others Chapman.

I've found a possible Elizabeth Barlow for Elizabeth Hurley's mother. She is the daughter of a Joseph Barlow and Elizabeth Hemmings. On the 1881 census she is listed as Elizabeth Barlow, widow (a fib?), a boarder of a Thomas Barlow. With her is her daughter Elizabeth Barlow (Hurley), aged 1.

There appears to be some family connection between Thomas and Joseph Barlow (and Elizabeth) but not sure what it is.

I suspect Elizabeth never married Hurley or Edwin Chapman.

I assume she married Richard Marson. Some of the children seem to be registered with mmn Hurley and others Chapman.

I've found a possible Elizabeth Barlow for Elizabeth Hurley's mother. She is the daughter of a Joseph Barlow and Elizabeth Hemmings. On the 1881 census she is listed as Elizabeth Barlow, widow (a fib?), a boarder of a Thomas Barlow. With her is her daughter Elizabeth Barlow (Hurley), aged 1.

There appears to be some family connection between Thomas and Joseph Barlow (and Elizabeth) but not sure what it is.

I suspect Elizabeth never married Hurley or Edwin Chapman.
Thanks MWS. I will look into that further, looks really promising. Am I missing something, (which is not unusual) When you said Susannah and Arnold were cousin's & Arnolds mother was Edwin's sister I thought you meant that's how Susannah and Arnold were cousins, but I have Arnolds mother as Edwin Foyles sister, is there some other connection I have missed. Yes Richard Marson was my grandfather, and Elizabeth did give Hurley as her mothers maiden name on several children's, including my mothers, and Chapman on only one. It was my grans daughter (Dead a long time ago) who told me about Chapman marrying my great gran, and she remembered him living with them when she was a child for a short time. The fact she said she only remember him, and not them, started me thinking, & on this journey. I agree that Elizabeth Barlow was not married to either. Thanks again.

Yes, I did say that they were cousins when I thought Edwin Foyle and Edwin Chapman were the same person (post #14) which I corrected in the following post.

So, no they were not cousins. Apologies for that confusion.

I think I've found confirmation that Elizabeth Barlow was the daughter of Joseph Barlow & Elizabeth Hemmings as previous mentioned.

Did you know that there Elizabeth was the mother of a Hurley son? John Hurley reg. Sep 1877 Aston mmn Barlow.

On the 1881 census he is listed as John Barlow living in Alcester St, Aston listed as grandson of Joseph & Elizabeth Barlow.

I've an Elizabeth Barlow in a family tree I'm putting together, husband Charles Barlow, maiden name Drakeford, any connection ?

I think I've found confirmation that Elizabeth Barlow was the daughter of Joseph Barlow & Elizabeth Hemmings as previous mentioned.

Did you know that there Elizabeth was the mother of a Hurley son? John Hurley reg. Sep 1877 Aston mmn Barlow.

On the 1881 census he is listed as John Barlow living in Alcester St, Aston listed as grandson of Joseph & Elizabeth Barlow.

MWS, Thank you, every posting from you makes me more convinced that I have found my great grandmother, I am so grateful as I have been searching on & off for over 30 years. My grandmother, I don't think ever knew so had a possible brother, her daughter told me my grandmother was an only child, that's why I never looked for any brothers or sisters. I did see the 1881 census with John aged 4 as Barlow in Alcester St, only since your last posting, but never imagined him to be an Hurley. How did you find the mmn, I thought they were not published by GRO until around 1915, are they on Ancestry? Would it have the fathers name too? I could never have found this without all your help,!! thank you.

Just a note of caution, whilst the info I've given seems probable it's not certain. Mistakes can be made, as I proved previously. Corroboration and a certificate can give greater confidence but even then it might not be enough.

You can check mmn before 1911 on the GRO website - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp - and on findmypast, though it's not as straightforward.

Unfortunately it doesn't give the father's name or any other info - just name, mmn and registration details.

I checked for John Barlows, that could be a grandson of Joseph & Elizabeth but I'm fairly certain there are none. Joseph & Elizabeth had 2 sons that reached adult - Joseph & Henry. Joseph marries prior to John's birth but he doesn't seem to have a son named John and Henry doesn't marry until after.

I have no idea what happens to John after 1881, as Edwin & Elizabeth don't seem to appear in 1891 he could be with them. There is a Chelsea Pensioner record for a John Barlow of the right age but I don't know if it's him.

I've an Elizabeth Barlow in a family tree I'm putting together, husband Charles Barlow, maiden name Drakeford, any connection ?
Sorry for the delay, My Elizabeth Barlow was not married, born 1853, mother of Elizabeth Hurley, sorry but there does not seem to be a connection, but thanks for your post.

Back