• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clara Morris

theodore

master brummie
Not much to go on with this person but hoping someone can help with information. All I have is an address and this was around the 1930's, 28 Kirby Road, Winson Green. There was a daughter (Emily) but do not know husbands name (possibly Samuel?). A son named Samuel died in WW1 (1914). May have lived in the Walsall area prior to WW1.

Regards

Peter

hi...exactly what sort of info are you after and have you tried finding them on the 1911 census

lyn

Tricky with so little info.

Can't see them at 28 Kirby Road. And the only Samuel Morris son of Clara on the 1911 census was living in Bham. Father Samuel but they diidn't appear to have a daughter Emily. They had an Edith.

There was a Samuel Morris of the South Staffs who died in 1914 but no next of kin listed.

The effects record for soldiers killed in WW1 lists a Samuel Morris. Born in walsall in 1903. Effects to Mother Clara - also names sister emily. No address given.
I have copied it in 2 sections so it is clearer.

Attachments

• 1572536042479.png
    1572536042479.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1572536072737.png
    1572536072737.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Have checked 1911 census and may have Samuel (serving 1st Worceseters) but need more info to confirm. Janice you have the right Samuel, he was serving with the 2nd Bn. Worcestershire Regiment and was KiA 21.10.1914. Have had no luck with 1891 or 1901 census returns. Details from Soldiers died WW1 give his birth place as Walsall enlisted Dudley. Need to confirm fathers name.

Peter

Looking at the second scan it looks as if it lists a couple of the entries for Clara as sis (diito marks). The last 2 entries being Clara and the final one having Mo instead of a ditto mark.

I have checked the date queried and apologise. It is - place of birth then date of enlistment. So Samuel was a regular soldier.

Last edited:
found a samuel j morris on the 1901 and 1891 and 1911 b 1887 walsall...living in walsall...father james .. has a sister emily only thing is his mother is sarah not clara..

lyn

i dont think the one i found is the correct samuel as it looks as though he died in walall in 1924 aged 37

Sorry Lyn - we posted at the same time. If he joined up in 1903 then his 1911 census is likely to be a military entry.

Sorry Lyn - we posted at the same time. If he joined up in 1903 then his 1911 census is likely to be a military entry.

ahh right jan will see if i can find one...just to confirm..we dont know his dob do we?

lyn

probably not him but found a samuel morris on the 1911 aged 28 corporal...shropshire light infantry b tipton

I think I might have some of it.

There are a number of baptisms in Rushall/Walsall - Peter, Clara and Emily, children of George and Clara Morris.

Their mother's mmn is Blake and there is also a couple registrations for a Samuel Morris mmn Blake in Walsall.

There is a Clara Blake b1858 in Witton and she has a brother Henry b1860.

On the 1939 register there is a Henry Blake b1860 living at 28 Kirby Road as he had been since at least 1920.

Can't find a marriage for Clara and George or the famly on any census atm.

Coincidently or not Clara and Henry's mother's name was Morris.

Slight wrinkle. Clara appears to be on the 1911 census living with a sister. Listed as single with no children with her.

Could indicate that she never actually married George Morris and he's dead or not.

Back