• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Civil Defence - Handsworth? Aug 1944

G

gjb73

Hello,

Whilst trawling through some family photos I came across the following depicting a 'Civil Defence' group taken during August 1944.

Thankfully my GtGrandfather wrote on the back the names of all present!
My gt grandfather (Joseph Henry Hall top Row 6 from the left) was the proprieter of the Newsagent Shop at 15 Gerrard Street therefore I assume that this group was assigned the Handsworth area of the city...

Anyway I hope this may be of interest/help!

Top Row: S.HAND G.HORTON J.TURNER A.BURLEY J.GROCUTT J.HALL C.KIBBLER L.WILLIAMS
Middle Row: A.ASHMORE F.FISHER W.MARSHALL A.CAPRELLA S.OLDBURY G.DAVIS E.COPE H.HOWARD B.HINKS J.WRIGHT A.MACHIN R.BALL
Bottom Row : M.ILES J.MOGG B.WIXEY F.THOMPSON H.WOODWARD E.WOODWARD R.FISHER H.CRISP E.TIPPER A.BRADLEY J.LUCKETT M.HARDWARE

I have the picture in much greater resolution (filesize) if required!!

- Gary

If you wish I have no objection to you posting a larger version here on the forum.
Its good to see someone else posting with regard to this forgotten organisation. Thanks so much for sharing the picture with us!!

Larger File now attached,

Does anybody know much about these Civil Defence groups, I've read a fair amount about the Home Guard regiments - any guidance to further reading would be appreciated!

- Gary

gjb73 what a wonderful photo with names as well.........I wonder if anyone recognises a relative.

Civil Defence Assn

The CDA exists to commemorate the work of the Civil Defence Organisation during WW2 and beyond. The only national memorial to Civil Defenders is at the National Memorial Arboretum, well worth a visit, alongside the CD Roll of Honour which is in the Chapel.

Members can enrol via the website:

https://www.civildefenceassociation.org.uk/

Hello,

Whilst trawling through some family photos I came across the following depicting a 'Civil Defence' group taken during August 1944.

Thankfully my GtGrandfather wrote on the back the names of all present!
My gt grandfather (Joseph Henry Hall top Row 6 from the left) was the proprieter of the Newsagent Shop at 15 Gerrard Street therefore I assume that this group was assigned the Handsworth area of the city...

Anyway I hope this may be of interest/help!

Top Row: S.HAND G.HORTON J.TURNER A.BURLEY J.GROCUTT J.HALL C.KIBBLER L.WILLIAMS
Middle Row: A.ASHMORE F.FISHER W.MARSHALL A.CAPRELLA S.OLDBURY G.DAVIS E.COPE H.HOWARD B.HINKS J.WRIGHT A.MACHIN R.BALL
Bottom Row : M.ILES J.MOGG B.WIXEY F.THOMPSON H.WOODWARD E.WOODWARD R.FISHER H.CRISP E.TIPPER A.BRADLEY J.LUCKETT M.HARDWARE

I have the picture in much greater resolution (filesize) if required!!

- Gary
hi Gary i am researching the surname wixey ive just found your post and notice you have a photo with a b wixey on it is it possible i can have a look please
Many thanks
linda wixey

Linda
Gib73 is marked under his name as a guest, which means he is no longer a member of the forum. He could still read your request but only answer it by rejoining, but as the post is now 13 years old I would think that unlikely

Back