• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Of Birmingham Electric Supply Department

Radiorails

master brummie
The City of Birmingham had its own electricity power stations from 1903 until post WW2 nationalization in 1947. The link gives some interesting history of them and some of the structures still in use or still standing. The Britain form above gives a good overhead look at the original structures in 1921 plus a small history to recent times.
https://www.birminghamconservationtrust.org/2013/10/16/powering-forward/
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw005848
I did point out, in one of the bus threads, that I had a saucepan (numbered) from presumably one of their canteens,

There is still a building on the corner of Mary Vale Road and Alexandra Road that was part of the City of Birmingham Electric Supply Department.

I also recall one on the corner of Edward Road and Lincoln Street in Balsal Heath

Birmingham Electric Supply Department had premises in
(1) Dale End
(2) Water Street
(3) Summer Lane
(4) Nechells
(a) first as a temporary station
(b) then as the Prince of Wales Generating Station
(5) Hams Hall

No 2-4 were canal served and had coal by boat and ash taken away. No 4 and 5 had railway sidings

This a picture of Rilands Road Power Station in Sutton Coldfield,
The building is still on the corner of Rilands Rd it was the site of a car repair garage and a glass retailer near to the railway bridge.
Some years ago I on visit the foundations for these DC generators could seen.

Attachments

• riland rd.jpg
    riland rd.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 29
A few photos of the 'Prince's Power Station' at Nechells being built.
Richard Alexander Chattock was the City's Electrical Engineer from 1903,and was responsible for the designs of Summer Lane,Nechells (Temporary and Permanent) and Hams Hall (A) power stations.

C001.JPG C005.JPG C007.JPG O007.JPG P005.JPG

Last edited:
A bit more about Mr.R.A.Chattock,who was the City Electrical Engineer.

Mr.Chattock was born in Solihull in 1863,studied engineering at University College London,and joined the staff of the Metropolitan Electric Supply Co.,in about 1890.He then went on to become engineer-in-charge at Bankside Power Station,before being appointed city electrical engineer in Bradford,where the first 'municipal' power station was built.In 1903 he became the city electrical engineer for Birmingham,after Mr.J.C.Vaudrey had resigned.Mr.Chattock oversaw considerable developments in the Electricity Supply Deparment.He died on 14 March 1936.

The photo appeared in the booklet commemorating the opening of Hams Hall Power Station by the then Duke and Duchess of York on Wednesday 6 November 1929.As part of the opening ceremonies,one of Mr.Chattock's daughters,Esther presented a bouquet of flowers to the Duchess of York.It must have been an exciting day in the Chattock household!

Attachments

• R A Chattock 02.jpg
    R A Chattock 02.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Hams 01.jpg
    Hams 01.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Hams 03.jpg
    Hams 03.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Hams 04.jpg
    Hams 04.jpg