• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Meat Market Wholesale 1897

Hi may I be cheeky and ask if the City Meat Market and Smithfield Meat Market are the same, my grandad had an award off them for wrestling, obviously this is very old and many moons ago, I tried to download the picture, but not got my thinking head on and couldn't do it. Hope you do well with your search.
Chris

5B. meat market from Sherlock st East.jpg 6B side of meat market from sherlock st.jpg 7B.side of meat market from sherlock st.jpg 9ab cross keys being demolished.jpg The Birmingham Tripe Co was 3 Sherlock St, and the pub next door was the Cross Keys. Attached is a photo I took while the Cross Keys was being demolished. Also some I took of the meat market on Sherlock St before demolition on a different occasion.

Phyllis Nicklin captured the meat market in 1954. Viv.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The original meat market moved in 1897 to Bradford Street (with its attached slaughterhouse). The old meat market site was taken over a few years later by the fruit and veg market. Was the 1897 Bradford Street cattle site also known as ' Smithfield'? Viv.

Thanks again Vivienne. Great info and pics.
Sorry Vivienne I do not know the answer to your last question but I am looking. If I have the correct information, Smithfield was/is a Wholesale market and Market Hall was retail. In 1897 the meat market and slaughter house was attached to Market Hall. Also, info regarding cafes that were in the area (Vic's cafe) and any overhead street maps would also help.
Thanks again.

PhilC.

For a long time now I've found the various markets confusing as they've changed and evolved over time. So I've tried to draw up a simple summary of each with dates and locations. And I've marked the 5 older markets on a 1911 map. See this thread here for more details. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-to-birmingham-wholesale-retail-markets.3073/

Hopefully other similarly confused members will find this of help.

Last edited:
Looks like this was the City Meat Market. Sorry no date but if it's City Meat Market its post-1897. Quite a production line. Viv.

image.jpeg

Phyllis Nicklin revisited the Meat Market and abattoir on Bradford Street in late 1968.(Her 1954 image is in post #4. The Drovers Arms is to the left (this pub was on the corner of Bradford St and Moat Row). Phyllis obviously realised there would be great changes to this area and captured the buildings just in time. Viv.

image.jpeg

Meat was derationed in July 1954 and the photos show the carcases displayed at the Christmas show that year. Does anyone recognise themselves. I am in the third photo third on the right behind the big fellow (Jack Rew in the hat)IMG_1925 (2).JPGIMG_1926 (2).JPGIMG_1927 (2).JPGIMG_1928 (2).JPGIMG_1927 (2).JPG

I remember walking round the market with my dad when all the meat was displayed like this with the heads on the ground, he was a slaughterman with FMC. I also recall waking up one morning and opening a wardrobe in our prefab to find a pig hanging up in it complete with zinc bath collecting blood.

The original meat market moved in 1897 to Bradford Street (with its attached slaughterhouse). The old meat market site was taken over a few years later by the fruit and veg market. Was the 1897 Bradford Street cattle site also known as ' Smithfield'? Viv.
Re Smithfield, Many meat markets around the country were referred to as Smithfield. The origin I assume was in reference to London Smithfield or Smoothfield as the site was originally called because it was a large flat area where many livestock from a wide area of the country were sold

Back