• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

A number of them are, I think, from the Janet Mendelsohn collection(6210; 7173: 7230-Balsall Heath Road: 8918) and would be from Balsall Heath) 7173 is looking towards Edward Road in the distance from the north

In May 1935 Phyllis Nicklin stood on the pavement opposite the Council House, held her camera high above the crowd and took this picture on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations for King George and Queen Mary.
PhyllisNicklin1935.jpg

Don't know if this is the right place for these, where are these photos taken, I know 2 are Balsall Heath, but no knowledge of the others.

John I think they are all Janet Mendelsohn images and are all of Balsall Heath or nearby.

1 The only one I'm not sure of but I think it's Clevedon Road
2 Longmore Street (not a 100% on this one on reflection either)
3 Upper Highgate Street
4 Longmore Street / Balsall Heath Road
5 Upper Highgate Street looking down Conybere Street
6 Clevedon Road Nr Cox Street West.

Last edited:
Post #1860

The more I look at images 1 & 2 I wonder if they could be in the Aston area, as the photographer did take photos of other areas and these just seemed to be mixed in with those of Balsall Heath.

I am pretty sure the second one is Balsall Heath, as I remember when there was the exhibition of Janets photos, one of the people there talked about "Uncles" store in Balsall heath

Just looked at Mikes photos of 2009 thread, great photos, (and now a precious historical record), of a world now long gone, but remembered by my age group so well, knew Balsall Heath well from a young boy to a youth. Paul

phil the area code of VIC 6276 for the shop may help i think it stands for victoria and if you look above the entry it does say victoria place...need to find out where the area code was..could well have been aston or witton way and for many years there has been an uncles pawn shop in witton although having said that i think a few shops were known as uncles..could also be perry barr

Last edited:
Mike

I agree about Clevedon Road, I had come to the same conclusion myself because of the three story houses in the image and anyway I'm sure the bend in the road would have been visible.

As for Uncles Store there were many such named shops in Balsall Heath & Sparkbrook the main one I remember was down Ladypool Road (no it wasn't the one). I think they were all owned by Sikh's and they were called Uncle's because they are all supposed to be related according to their creed.

VIC telephone exchange was for Small Heath/ Sparkbrook, can't remember the precise boundaries. Now 771,772,773,753,766.

Last edited:
Lyn

There were quite a few Victoria places and I checked out the ones n Balsall Heath and nearby and none of them fit.

Victoria pl Arthur st 10
Victoria pl 111 Aston Brook st 6
Victoria pl 141 Edward rd.12
Victoria pl 59 Friston st 16
Victoria pl 36 Brearley st 21
Victoria pl Heathfield rd 14
Victoria pl 336 Icknield Port rd 16
Victoria pl 142 Lee Bank rd 13
Victoria pl 26 Main st 11
Victoria pl 49 Mary st 12
Victoria pl 11 Nechells Park rd 7
Victoria pl 59 Rupert st 7
Victoria pl 178 Tower rd. Aston 6
Victoria pl Westley st 9
Victoria pl 104 Wynn st 15

phil i think we need to try and find out what area that telephone number used to be..ive seen it above shops a few times but cant place the area at the min..being in the telephone exchange business eric maybe able to help i dont recognise the photo from my neck o the woods

thank jim just seen your post..so VIC was for small heath/sparkbrook exchange...thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Great photos John, I'm afraid I don't know the locations. Taken probably late 60s early 70s from the Mothers Club posters, cars and dress.

Victoria Telephone Exchange from http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/exchanges.htm
Victoria exchange is located in Watery Lane, Birmingham and serves Small Heath and Sparkbrook.
The first exchange covering the Small Heath area opened in 1894. The exchange then reopened in 1906 at 140-142 Coventry Road and in 1907 was renamed Victoria. It subsequently moved to Sandy Lane in 1910. The building was demolished in 1976. This exchange was converted to Automatic operation at 2.00 pm on 07/03/31 when it had 1775 subscribers.
The telephone codes currently used are 0121-753, 0121-766, 0121-771, 0121-772 and 0121-773. CMVIC

thanks david....i messaged eric who sent me this reply

Yes Lyn, it was the old VICtoria Telephone exchange in Watery Lane (and is still there) providing local service for around Watery Lane, garrison Lane, Coventry Rd Camp Hill Bordesley Green including the Blues ground, anywhere within about 2 miles from the exchange

Back