• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Looking at the photo which Phil has just posted, I am confused because I have two pictures in my possession which show a bit of a conflict, Can someone explain the order of the buildings to me please.

We have Woolworths on the left then there will be Bell Lane although this is not obvious from the picture. Then there was a pub although in this photo it is shown with shop blinds. Then there is a building with two ridges on the roof. What was this building please? Then we have the classical building with the pillars which I am assuming was the Market Hall

Looking again at the photo of the Bull Ring that I posted, the date given is 1940's. If that is so then it could have only been 1940 it'self when it was taken because in August of that year the market hall was bombed so if it had been later the image would have been much different and the market hall would have had no roof.

David

I think the building you are referring with two ridges was the original fish & poultry market, which can be seen better in this photo.

City Bull Ring  Open Market (4).jpg

Phil
I would not bet on it not being older. I have some postcards (unused)of Chichester I got in my youth (1950s sometime), and looking at them a while ago, know they must have been pre WW2

Steelhouse Lane, unfortunately no date but possibly late 1950s.
View attachment 129877
Steelhouse Lane, unfortunately no date but possibly late 1950s.
View attachment 129877
It says 1950s. If you click on the photo and then right click, at the bottom it look for 'search item on google' click on it, and scroll down and you will see the photo and it says 1950s. This is a good way of finding dates, but it doesnt always recognise photos. Luckily this one recognised Gaumont.

I am thinking that that was the Worcester Street entrance to the Market Hall which seems to be more grand than the Bull Ring entrance

I remember in the early 50's standing with Dad on Christmas eve, at the bottom of those steps, with a large crowd of people and when the market shut, the trades people would throw down from the steps into the crowd any unsold meat and poultry. Paul

I have some photos taken in 1972 around the Bull Ring area I will attach them you can include or delete if not what you are looking to include into your photo album.

Attachments

• BRUM 1.jpg
    BRUM 1.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 114
  • BRUM 2.jpg
    BRUM 2.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 113
  • BRUM 3.jpg
    BRUM 3.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 112
  • BRUM 4.jpg
    BRUM 4.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 111
  • BRUM 5.jpg
    BRUM 5.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 110
  • BRUM 6.jpg
    BRUM 6.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 109
  • BRUM 7.jpg
    BRUM 7.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 109
Strangely, my brother had both of those cars in the right of the photo, Vauxhall Velox and Hillman Husky, at different times.

I never saw the redevelopment in post 1854#. Although the photos of the Manzoni Bull Ring did make the area look good and there was grass there. Few lag town seem to have grass in the central areas - after all grass does not produce any taxation! :eek:
It does seem that the city council, over the last fifty years, achieved far more destruction than the Luftwaffe, but then they have been at it far longer. I cannot speak for those who ran and presently run the city but what I do find is that many newcomers (not born there, or moved in from others areas) to many towns and cities lack any deep historical roots in the places they change. I guess Birmingham has been more affected than elsewhere due to the continual immigration to the city over the last two hundred years or so. I think most large cities and towns are affected by constant change - some good , much bad.

I take it that you do not think our "civilization" will last long enough for any further buildings?

I was wondering about the effect of online trading on city centre shops but apparently Selfridges in the aluminium clad building are doing well.

Don't know if this is the right place for these, where are these photos taken, I know 2 are Balsall Heath, but no knowledge of the others.

Attachments

• 8241.jpg
    8241.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 6210.jpg
    6210.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 7173.jpg
    7173.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 7230.jpg
    7230.jpg