• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

Appears to be Insurance Co. offices at the time of this picture. I do not know the date. I too attended classes in the old university building in 1960's

Attachments

• img067.jpg
    img067.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 63
If you enlarge the photograph then, just above the three large arched windows, I can make out "Norwich Union Chambers". Dave.

Following my contribution on the 1st August I have attached 3 more pics taken at the same time, 2 are of Colmore Row, looking toward the Town Hall and one looking along Colmore Row to Snow Hill. The third one was actually taken in Dale End. From all of the pics it is obvious that Electricity cables were being laid and I know that in 1899 a scheme was in place to install electric lighting in the City Centre, whether these were taken then I do not know. It would be interesting to see photos taken in the present day and compare them, although Colmore Row may not have changed that much, dale End certainly has.

Attachments

• Birmingham Colmore Row _Town hall.jpg
    Birmingham Colmore Row _Town hall.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Birmingham Colmore Row.jpg
    Birmingham Colmore Row.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Birmingham Dale End.jpg
    Birmingham Dale End.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 116
It was an error Old Boy. The Colmore Row photo in post 1612 is the correct one. I shall delete the Aston Tavern ones to avoid confusion. Hope that's OK Carolina. Viv.

In those photos the cable reels are bearing the name Callender's Cables, one of our near neighbours in Hurlingham Road worked for them in the 40s/50s, name of Kelly

The New Street I remember as a young teenager, looks like a busy Saturday morning, the lights are on red so traffic stopped, and everyone crossing.
Birmingham_NewSt.jpg

In those photos the cable reels are bearing the name Callender's Cables, one of our near neighbours in Hurlingham Road worked for them in the 40s/50s, name of Kelly
I think I knew them as BICC (British Insulated Callender Cables) whe I worked for Cannings, who supplied plant to them.

Pictures of Corporation Street and the Council House taken in 1935. The occasion is the celebrations for the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary.
Corporation Street.jpg Council House.jpg

Really lovely photos JLB. I can see Dunn's there on the corner of Bull Street, and Barrows Stores on the right

again john lovely photos...thank you for sharing them with us all...a very welcome addition to the forum and thanks for the link to your collection

lyn

The earliest directory mention of a photographic link to Pumphrey I find is in Whites 1873 directory when Pumphrey Bros, photographic publishers & oxy-hydrogen apparatus manufacturers, Camphill works, 54 Ryland St & Emily St.

From 1876 edition to 1882 Alfred Pumphrey was a manufacturing optician, first at Ryland st & Emily St, and later at Stanhope St & Darwin st but there is no men

tion of a photographic side to the business. However in 1883 Pumphrey & Day, are photographic apparatus & material dealers in Emily St and Alfred Pumphrey was manufacturing optician at Stanhope St & Drwin St , and was associated with Pumphrey & Day. By 1884 Pumphrey & Day are listed as photographic publishers & printers at Emily St and Alfred is still a manufacturing optician and associated with Pumphrey & Day. By the 1888 edition Pumphrey and Day have disappeared, but Alfred Pumphrey is still a manufacturing optician at Stanhope St, and is listed as a photographic printer at Emily St. This continues to 1892 edition , but in 1892 there is also Josiah Pumphrey, who is listed as making photographic sundries, knife boards, door springs & garden syringes at 160 Angelina St. Previously he had just been making garden syringes at that address. in 1895 edition Alfred is still man. optician & photographic printer at 62 Stanhope St, and Josiah is now is a full time photographic sundries manufacturer at back of 132 Angelina St. In 1897-1899 Alfred is just an optician, at Stanhope St, but josiah is still manufacturing photographic sundries in Angelina St, and Alfred is still there in 1900, but Josiah has move dto Hick St, but by 1903 they have disappeared. (The dates given are publication dates and likely to refer to a year or so previously
Am interested to see this discussion about Pumphrey(and Day) I am trying to find out more about camera and allied makers in Birmingham and found this advert from 1883

Attachments

• 1883 BJPA (7).JPG
    1883 BJPA (7).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
In the period most of those Mail pictures were taken Birmingham was well on the way with major re-development. I have to say that I preferred driving around the small towns and lanes of Devon to those new roads which, it seems, were constantly changing. Some of the photos showed shop names which, most likely, have long since gone from the High Streets of the country but it was interesting to see them. Some of the photos I have seen before - probably here - but it is a wonderful record of the times.
Given that tower blocks are very much in the news I wonder how many featured are still standing? I wondered particularly about the one where a hall was 'soon to be demolished' shown amidst new blocks?
What was very noticeable in the busier streets were the large number of buses. Are there less now and more cars?

ss 001 (2).jpg
Not actually a photo but I did not know where else to post his brilliant paragraph from todays Mail

Should the last paragraph read...?

"And inside, the Council House goes about its daily business, taking Birmingham for granted."

Why aren't there guided tours of the Council House? It was built for and is still funded by Birmingham Rate and council tax payers. A couple of tours a day for 10-12 people would help to swell the coffers - er, I mean, pay off the council's debts!

Back