• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

IMGP3268.jpg
1969 .The underpass complex which will become part of Paradise Circus at the end of Broad Street.

IMGP3269.jpg
A newspaper clipping June 1969.The Five Ways underpass and subway complex takes shape.Shown from atop an office block on the Hagley Road.

A newspaper clipping June 1969.The Five Ways underpass and subway complex takes shape.Shown from atop an office block on the Hagley Road.

Looks like this was taken from the old Calthorpe House building, which was knocked down recently, last year I think.

Thanks for the photo's Keegs, very informative, so glad I left in 1962 though, with my pre: 1960's memories.
paul

bb0381.jpg bb0358.jpg bb0152.jpg bb0305.jpg
The last post did not work properly so here they are again, these pics show the work in progress when Paradise Circus was re-developed.

cc.jpeg
This is from this mornings newspaper, it is a royal procession in New Street during the 50s.

nh.jpeg Early 1960s.
At the top centre of this one is the old Central Fire Station with the General (now childrens) Hospital just below it.

What store would that be keegs?? and where was it situated!!!
paul
No idea Paul.I would have been about five when they started knocking it down.I had never heard of it before I started looking through a box of old clippings passed on to me.I am sure there is someone on here that could tell us though,hopefully.

There is some info on the internet if you do a Google search - sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste or put a link to the page!

It is from The Picture of Birmingham - google books result - and says the Pantecnetheca was in New Street and the showroom of a Mr Jones. It was stocked with '......jewellery, plate and plated goods, papier machee wares and almost every article of Birmingham manufacture of ornamental construction..........'

The book was published in 1831 - looks interesting!

Very interesting and informative addition, must have been one the biggest of the "Emporiums" of it's day, and would really mark out Birmingham, as at the forefront of modernity.
paul

Hi,
The original Pantechnetheca was knocked down in 1857 and replaced by a much larger parade of shops commissioned by Samuel Hyam; there's a little bit about the original building here... https://theabsentcity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/pantechnetheca-pantechnetheka.html . It was Samuel Hyam's building that was taken down in the 1950s, I think he probably kept the name as it was so unusual. Where did you get the clipping from keegs?
It came in a box of old clippings that were from an elderly relative.I am still working my way through them and posting any I think the forum members may find of interest.This one had no extra info with it,but I had never heard of it,or where on New Street it was.
Keegs

Thanks for the blogspot on the Pantecnetheca Cuppatea, the article is very interesting.

What an amazing place it must have been - I had no idea there was somewhere like that in Brum, must have been very posh!

Back