• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Photographs

nh.jpeg Early 1960s.
At the top centre of this one is the old Central Fire Station with the General (now childrens) Hospital just below it.

What store would that be keegs?? and where was it situated!!!
paul
No idea Paul.I would have been about five when they started knocking it down.I had never heard of it before I started looking through a box of old clippings passed on to me.I am sure there is someone on here that could tell us though,hopefully.

There is some info on the internet if you do a Google search - sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste or put a link to the page!

It is from The Picture of Birmingham - google books result - and says the Pantecnetheca was in New Street and the showroom of a Mr Jones. It was stocked with '......jewellery, plate and plated goods, papier machee wares and almost every article of Birmingham manufacture of ornamental construction..........'

The book was published in 1831 - looks interesting!

Very interesting and informative addition, must have been one the biggest of the "Emporiums" of it's day, and would really mark out Birmingham, as at the forefront of modernity.
paul

Hi,
The original Pantechnetheca was knocked down in 1857 and replaced by a much larger parade of shops commissioned by Samuel Hyam; there's a little bit about the original building here... https://theabsentcity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/pantechnetheca-pantechnetheka.html . It was Samuel Hyam's building that was taken down in the 1950s, I think he probably kept the name as it was so unusual. Where did you get the clipping from keegs?
It came in a box of old clippings that were from an elderly relative.I am still working my way through them and posting any I think the forum members may find of interest.This one had no extra info with it,but I had never heard of it,or where on New Street it was.
Keegs

Thanks for the blogspot on the Pantecnetheca Cuppatea, the article is very interesting.

What an amazing place it must have been - I had no idea there was somewhere like that in Brum, must have been very posh!

The Pantecnetheca would have been about where i have amarked in red on the c1839 map, though I Do not know how far back it went

map_c_1839_showing_position_of_Pantecnetheca.jpg

It came in a box of old clippings that were from an elderly relative.I am still working my way through them and posting any I think the forum members may find of interest.This one had no extra info with it,but I had never heard of it,or where on New Street it was.
Keegs
How nice to have such a lovely collection, you should start a thread just for the clippings, it would be nice to see the selection.

How nice to have such a lovely collection, you should start a thread just for the clippings, it would be nice to see the selection.
Thanks,I have posted quite a few on various threads on the forum,but there are still several left to go through.I must admit I have found going through them so interesting.Not everyones taste I know,but I love stuff like this.

Amazing pictures Keegs not seen before either please keep posting we love them!

Keegs that is an interesting photo of Marshall & Snelgrove. It was always a very posh shop, although at the age of 16 when I worked just around the corner I took myself there for a make-up lesson! Must have cost me a week's wages now I come to think about it. The Britannia Hotel now occupies the upper part of the old store.

Judy

Do you remember the boutique in Marshall and Snelgrove, it was on the ground floor at the side, there was an entrance in Union Passage?
I bought a little black dress in there, it cost me 9 guineas (sp?!). It was alot of money then and I didn't dare tell my mother how much I had spent, although it was my own money! It did last me for ages though.

I remember Al buying me a L.B.D. from a shop named PAIGE which was a Little way up from B'ham station. It had a large corsage on the shoulder and a big bow on the waist. The dress was plain otherwise with a low cut 'V' neckline - Al bought it and then told the assistant to take off the bow and the corsage - it was so much better and I wore it to the Barn Restaurant that evening - I felt a million dollars. My brother was singing that night and I have a picture of that evening - about 1964. Miriam.

Re: City Centre Photo Album

14.jpg12.jpg15.jpg

Just a couple i found which maybe some interest to someone ....ragga .....

Re: City Centre Photo Album

morning olibobs. Do you know if the 'arches in the peace garden' was at one timeopposite 'SPEAKING STYLE WALK i KNOW MY GRANNY LIVED OPPOSITE IT [CHURCH] BEFORE THE AREA WAS REBUILT. MIRIAM.

city-photograph.jpg
Another one with little or no informatio.
I have almost posted all those with no data atatched.

lll.jpegNew Street about 1845.
I hope I am correct in saying Hyams was a gents fashion store.

Stitcher
Hyams were a mens tailoring establishmnet, but the date is a not quite correct. Apart from photography only starting around the mid 1840s, the firm was Samuel Hyam up to some time between 1855 and 1858, when it became Hyam & Co. so it would be after the mid 1850s

Back