• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

I wonder if they had parking problems even then and they are traffic cones all along the gutter or are they parking places for handsome cabs or the equivalent of taxis.

I wonder if they had parking problems even then and they are traffic cones all along the gutter or are they parking places for handsome cabs or the equivalent of taxis.

I think this photo was taken either just before or just after an event (though I can't remember what it was, I'll have to look), so the barriers were to keep the crowds off the street. There are photo's of the 'event' in full swing, and the pavements are pretty full.

View attachment 76622
An aerial view of the Bull Ring construction. 1962.

From just a year or so earlier comes this almost identical photograph here. Forumers might like to have a competition to circle how many changes have taken place in such a short space of time.
image.php

Odeon Queensway, Gaumont.

Attachments

• birminghamg.jpg
    birminghamg.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 81
  • birminghamor.jpg
    birminghamor.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
The Queensway Odeon must have later become the Scala. From memory I think it was a great big place with one of those panoramic screens. Viv.

Hi Vivienne14,
I think you will find it is the other way around the SCALA was demolished with the modernisation of the city centre and the ODEON Queensway was was built at that time in its place.

Right Chris, thanks. We still called it the Scala even in the 1970s, I suppose that made it easy to identify which cinema we were referring to. Viv

I think I have seen this one before Stitcher. I am sure this is the spot where Corporation Street was cut through?

Hello Shortie, its not one mine it was in the paper and the info was sparse. The shop name is visible so someone will be able to help further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I think Phil had it on as a "Where is this", and it was where corporation st cut in

Yes they are the shops opposite Stephenson Place that were demolished so that Corporation Street could be cut through.

Phil

That is a brilliant photo Stitcher. Not ever seen that one before. Is Hurst Street the one going right to left in the picture? I can't quite read the sign, but I thought someone else might be able to.

Hi Shortie

I've got a copy of that picture, and the road on the left is Tonk St. So Hurst St goes off to the right.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul, nice to know. I am saving some of these pics to show my daughters who, I think, missed a heck of a lot. Nice to be able to show them places they know.

Cheers

Pictures absorbing. I think I recognise the "Spatchy Mail. Come and get it" lady at the entrance to Snowhill. And... those were the days when you got tea served in proper cups - noted by the Pie Van

Back