• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Thanks, so the column was erected for the Coronation of George VI and I notice the white railings by the Town Hall were there in 1937.

Regarding post 1819 the bus in the foreground has all the features of forty buses delivered to the BCT during May to November, 1931. Some were loaned to London in October/November 1940 but soon returned to the city. Many were painted grey and some were used, from Birchfield Road garage with the experimental gas producing trailers in 1943. The year experiment, forced upon the BCT by the Government was not a success. Some were also given Ministry of Supply austerity bodies in the latter part of WW2. The corporation had got rid of them by 1950 except for a handful kept for driver training and other non passenger use.

PS: A reminder that the one-way system was introduced in 1933. A shot in the dark, I guess, but maybe the white railings were there as a traffic guide and also for pedestrian safety? If that is so then the photo would be about 1933.

Last edited:
Reference dates on photos, this one of Victoria Square and Council House is in a Birmingham Mail collection and they have a date June 1936 under it. The photo shows two-way traffic in Colmore Row but I have seen photos dated 1934 taken by Phyllis Nicklin which clearly show one-way traffic in Colmore Row. I think this photo is much earlier than 1936.
View attachment 128035
Bham Mail ... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/grade-ii-listed-birmingham-council-9194668
I am sure the cars and buses in this picture support you thoughts, the key lies in the second BCT bus, perhps Radiorails can tell us when the last of these models was disposed of. Somewhere in my treasures (or rubbish as my wife calls it), I have the original PSV circle history of BCT which gives all the disposal dates and I will try and sort it out. Unfortunately the two Midland Red buses are not clear enough (no front end view) to be able to help. Anyone remember when you could cross a major road like the people in this picture are?
Bob

The older bus is not easily identified. Only the roof and upper deck are visible. It might be one of the types produced in 1926/7 but also could be a later a 1928 built bus. Whichever it is these buses were all withdrawn between 1935 and 1937 from passenger service.
Post 1807, which has a pre-war Daimler bus appears to have the cream pre-war roof.
The Midland Red bus (side on view) I think is one built 1930-33. The roof profile suggests it (to my old eyes) rather than the more angular rear dome of the late 1920's buses. But that is a suggestion.

Last edited:
Reference dates on photos, this one of Victoria Square and Council House is in a Birmingham Mail collection and they have a date June 1936 under it. The photo shows two-way traffic in Colmore Row but I have seen photos dated 1934 taken by Phyllis Nicklin which clearly show one-way traffic in Colmore Row. I think this photo is much earlier than 1936.

If I remember correctly, I read that the one-way system New Street Corporation Street Bull Street Colmore Row was 1933

The older bus is not easily identified. Only the roof and upper deck are visible. It might be one of the types produced in 1926/7 but also could be a later a 1928 built bus. Whichever it is these buses were all withdrawn between 1935 and 1937 from passenger service.
Post 1807, which has a pre-war Daimler bus appears to have the cream pre-war roof.
The Midland Red bus (side on view) I think is one built 1930-33. The roof profile suggests it (to my old eyes) rather than the more angular rear dome of the late 1920's buses. But that is a suggestion.
I knew you would have the answers and I agree on the Midland Red single decker.

Bob

Another postcard pic of Victoria Square but unfortunately no date. The traffic in Colmore Row is one-way and no 'George VI column' so probably earlier than May 1937 or could be later if the column had been removed after the event. The kerb on the 'stand-out' rails in front of the council house have been painted alternate black and white.
VicSqCouncilHouse.jpg

Victoria Square postwar probably late 1940s. There appear to be small decorative shields on the lamp posts and flags on the Town Hall. No zebra crossings in the pic they were introduced in 1951.
XVictSquare.jpg

And flags of all nations on around the town hall ( actually probably considering the time of the photo, only empire members) .

There is a firemans watch box on top of the clock tower. I understand that it was placed there during the war.

I would have said early 1950s from the two buses. The corporation bus has the enclosed radiator and I think the Midland Red is a D7

Post 1827 I believe is WW2 or just post war. The bus has a khaki roof and the large gold coloured signs (Pens and assurance etc.) have gone from the building. I believe they were removed at the outbreak of WW2. I thinks the circular flower bed is where the column had stood.

I would have said early 1950s from the two buses. The corporation bus has the enclosed radiator and I think the Midland Red is a D7
I agree on the D7. The first of which entered service in August 1953. Flags and shield were probably for the Coronation a couple of months earlier. Only the one statue now set in a larger floral setting.

Another photo of the ever-changing Victoria Square ... four statues in this view.

From the sign on the Galloways Corner building BIRMINGHAM MIDLAND TRAMWAYS and the absence of the King Edward VII statue I would date this to 20th century pre WWI or very soon after

From the sign on the Galloways Corner building BIRMINGHAM MIDLAND TRAMWAYS and the absence of the King Edward VII statue I would date this to 20th century pre WWI or very soon after
From the 1880's until 1912 Birmingham had quite a few different companies operating various types of tram: horse, cable, steam and electric. Some of these companies became part of the BET Co. from which the Midland Red emerged. The Birmingham & Midland Tramways dated back to November 1883 but in the early part of the 20th. century the corporation started to take control, usually after the expiry of leases, of the various parts of the cities tramways. In 1912 Birmingham & Midland Tramways (BET controlled) changed name to Birmingham District Power & Traction Co. having less interest in tramway systems.

The postcard at #1828 was sold on ebay described as posted to America and postmarked 1960. So I doubt very much it was taken long before that, five years or maybe ten at most.

I don't think I have seen this 1940's view looking up the Bull Ring from Woolworth's toward New Street before.

City Bull Ring 1940's.jpg

Back