• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre developments 2020 - overview

Status
Not open for further replies.

guilbert53

master brummie
Think it’s worthy of a separate thread, so shall move your post to a thread called Upper Trinity Scheme proposals.

The Digbeth area will undergo major changes in the next 10 or 20 years, and this recently announced Upper Trinity scheme is just another on top of what has already been announced.

As I have said before, Birmingham council have made it their aim to "push" the city centre out to the "outer" ring road.

They started it with Westside, along Broad St, when they built the ICC, NIA, Brindley Place etc. This ends at Five Ways on the "outer" ring road.

They then continued it with Eastside (along Curzon St and near Aston University). This ends at Lawley Middleway on the "outer" ring road.

And it seems Digbeth is next to get that treatment.

Below I have put together a little map of the wider Digbeth area, and marked on it some of the large development schemes I am aware of (there may be more smaller ones I am not aware of). Note the areas marked in different colours are just a rough idea of their size and shape, but they give a general idea.

Development 1 (in red). This is the HUGE HS2 station that will run alongside Curzon Street up to Moor St station.

Development 2 (in green). This is the redevelopment of the large Wholesale Market site, just south of the BullRing.

Development 3 (in orange) - This is multiple developments all along that B4100 road near the Custard Factory, the River Rea and the Crown pub (many buildings have already been knocked down in that area and some building projects have already started.

Development 4 (in blue) - Near Bordesley Station on the site of Selzer who are moving elsewhere. New houses / apartments / hotel. This project was announced about a year ago.

Development 5 (in Yellow) - This is the project just announced, known as the Upper Trinity Scheme proposals. Not really sure of the size or shape of this site to be honest.

Development 6 (in light blue) - There are plans for the tram line to come down from Bull St to the HS2 station then make its way down in to Digbeth. The route is shown in light blue on the map.

The arrival of HS2 (one day), and the redevelopment of the Wholesale Market site, means companies are already buying up properties in nearby streets such as Bradford St and others so we can probably see more development schemes in the future.

Whether we like it or not, Digbeth is going to change.

Digbeth.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guilbert - useful to have your visual outline and descriptions of the various developments of which you aware to date. For each of these developments - and as Alan and Lyn have pointed out - there will be some elements of archaeological investigation. We can do a useful job on the Forum by capturing any interesting/enlightening information from these. And to do this I think we should record each site in separate threads to avoid confusion.

I shall also copy Guilbert’s overview of City Centre developments to a thread entitled “City Centre Developments 2020 - overview” Edit - done.

Viv.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back