• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre - Broad Street

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older picture is thought to be from the 1920's.

Ian.

It's good to see that nice building on the left has mostly survived with it's unusual brickwork.
oldmohawk:)

OldM, I think that building you speak about was a bank, but is now a restaurant (well it was last time I was in Broad Street) it was aptly named 'Left Bank'.

I too noticed the old bank building when I looked at the two cards as well. Quite a few alterations were done. It's a bit like one of those "Spot the Difference" pictures. The capping stones running up the building were removed...the first chimney had it's lighter coloured bricks removed and the second chimney was also changed. Interesting that the building is now a restaurant.

Jennyann, I don't think what you called capping stones (actually called quoining, pronounced coining) have been removed, they are now dark ones. Whether they have been replaced or painted, I don't know. They would be part of the structure I think, rather than just for show. Perhaps the same has happened to the chimneys. I am not sure, but I think the building would have been listed, so every alteration would have to go before either Conservation and/or English Heritage. Personally I think it is a shame, that they have wished to keep the building but change it from its original. I used to work for a firm of Building Surveyors and restoration was our main income, so I am perhaps biased. I am one of those slightly odd folk who would have never given anyone permission to demolish anything - ever! Look at that fabulous picture of Union Street posted a short while ago - why on earth would anyone wish to demolish such an elegant building, it is completely beyond me.

Also shows the "Big Bite" kebab place that I remember last time I went past it, hmmm

I have posted a few before and after pictures of Broad St and surrounding area here (sorry for plugging them again, I know some have already seen them but many may not have)

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29123

Below is an example, from Sheepcote Street. Same view believe it or not.

The first picture is while they were building the Convention Centre and Hyatt Hotel, but before they built the NIA and Brindley Place. Taken in August 1989, 20 years ago

Back