• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Radio: Crystal Sets & CB Radio

Crunchy Frog, what memories. He was a good Rig Doctor.
TVi, that's the one that had a Sigma 4 arial outside, if I remember correctly

I remember Crunchy frogs next door too the barbers shop.I think he moved too washwood heath road from digberth.if i remember right he used to drive a old three wheeler car which got smashed up by a lorry and he had a bit of it framed.Best Wishes Roger(Radar)

Hi Roger

Do you live near where the old rifle range stood? If so,
I expect the 'initials' A.O.M. mean something to you.

Kind regards

Dave

I still have the service log book for all of the rigs I fixed for Erdington Motor Spares on Station Rd in Erdington in the early eighties (27MHz a.m. days of course). Cobra 19GTL was the most frequent one I saw I think, probably more sensitive to SWR mis-match. Happy days...

Eyeball Eyeball Michael and I ran a C.B. club in the 80's at the Mile Oak Pub. The Tamworth United Breakers We used to run a quiz on air on a Wednesday night and people would drive to Tamworth just to take part. We were Eagle Eye and Delta Lady!

Think you may remember me and Steve then,used to live in the same road as you in Glascote, known to cb fraternity as Angel and Headbanger. Small world and nice to know you are all still about. CB lots its interest in the end spoiled by idiots but the internet now takes over. Hope you are both ok.

Angie :)

Hi Angie how nice to be in touch! I hope you are both keeping well. We are still in the same house. A few of us are on Friends Reunited under Tamworth United Breakers.......thanks for saying hello!

I just could,nt resist putting my three penny worth in.
i had am and FM we had so much fun all nighters competitions
cock and hen nights in our local club, i even used to deliver them,for a company
in level st.
The mate i have in Texas was a fireman in redditch i met him on the rig,
plus another couple of mates in redditch still, happy days,we used to turn out in an emergency if a child was lost and other stuff.
i,ve still got both my CB,s magmount and other bits and bob,s maybe i,ll set one up one day see if there is anyone out there.
this is the Furniture-man on the side and down,catch you on the flip flop. Derek

If my memory serves me right, this shop (Midland micro systems) on Flaxley road was TVI. Still has a Sigma 4 antenna up.:)

Frothy, you are dead right aboiut that. I called in there a few times for bits and pieces when I had my taxi. I had a good set-up in the taxi because for two years I did a contract delivering advertising materials to Halfords shops. I delivered to every Halfords from Chesterfield to the east coast and covering all areas northwards as far as the Scottish border. It took me two nights and three days. I had friends in Gledolt near Leeds so I slept for free and the C.B. allowed me to be in touch with the wife. I got all my C. B. requirements from TVI.

Frothy, you are dead right aboiut that. I called in there a few times for bits and pieces when I had my taxi. I had a good set-up in the taxi because for two years I did a contract delivering advertising materials to Halfords shops. I delivered to every Halfords from Chesterfield to the east coast and covering all areas northwards as far as the Scottish border. It took me two nights and three days. I had friends in Gledolt near Leeds so I slept for free and the C.B. allowed me to be in touch with the wife. I got all my C. B. requirements from TVI.

Thanks for that stitch. I wasn't 100% sure

Hi People
me and My Hubby were called songbird and squire . My mum was called Country Singer and dad was called Budgie . Mum was in the Old geriatrics group and loved her CB . She made a lot of new freinds and now she is really old its such a shame CB has died . Although to be fair I would be worried about her with all the bucket mouths that went on and spoilt things . My hubb y and I loved to go on top of hills and erect big antennase . We co phased Sigma 4s on top of the long Mynd . Those were the days . we both took our radio Ham exams . B licsense first and now we have our A class after taking the morse . But it was never the same . Not as good as CB I am afraid . G0Swp and G0Swq :) But now we have the computers and are able to have a good chin wag without bucket mouths .
Regards Jean xxxx

Hi People
me and My Hubby were called songbird and squire . My mum was called Country Singer and dad was called Budgie . Mum was in the Old geriatrics group and loved her CB . She made a lot of new freinds and now she is really old its such a shame CB has died . Although to be fair I would be worried about her with all the bucket mouths that went on and spoilt things . My hubb y and I loved to go on top of hills and erect big antennase . We co phased Sigma 4s on top of the long Mynd . Those were the days . we both took our radio Ham exams . B licsense first and now we have our A class after taking the morse . But it was never the same . Not as good as CB I am afraid . G0Swp and G0Swq :) But now we have the computers and are able to have a good chin wag without bucket mouths .
Regards Jean xxxx
Don't evan have to take the morse now and we have " Echo Link " to talk to the world. G1 ULZ.

Its so sad because we worked jolly hard for the Ham exam . I also continues to make up kits and hubby made antenna too .
Jean

Does anyone remember the 'junk shop' in Albert Road Harborne, just past what I knew as "The Stumps" (Albert Walk) I always called it 'The Junk Shop' but it was full of army surplus electrical bits & pieces. I got everything I needed from there to make my first crystal set.

I'm talking late1950's and the shop has long gone now. Thankfully, Albert Walk has been preserved (mainly)

Did anyone ever have a PYE car radio. The one I was given was massive and filled the passenger side under the dashboard in my old A35. The best thing about it was that it was an old valve set with rotary dial tuning but there were Long Wave, Medium Wave and 5 short wave bands on there and I could pick anything up world-wide I think

Thirty Years ago today (2/11/1981) cb radio on 27 MHz FM became legal in the UK. Think I will have to fire up the Harrier CBX for old times sake, "14 for a copy"

Colin
(AKA. Mercury, Solihull 20)

Thirty Years ago today (2/11/1981) cb radio on 27 MHz FM became legal in the UK. Think I will have to fire up the Harrier CBX for old times sake, "14 for a copy"

Colin
(AKA. Mercury, Solihull 20)

That's a big 10-4 Colin. Wished I had my illegal Superstar 360. Good old days.

CQ CQ CQDX

AKA Highrise

Michael still has a C.B. radio last week we could hear the Americans coming through it was lovely to listen to them using it properly. The idiots killed it in this country. 10.4 good buddy...lol.

Here is Michael's citizen band radio licence. I wonder how many were issued!:stupid:

Citizen_Band_Radio_Licence.jpg

As a Radio Ham I never possessed an illegal AM CB radio. When CB was legalized (thirty years ago today as someone mentioned) a group of us bought CB radios for propagation experiments. We used one specific frequency - clear of the well established ones: 9, 14 and 19 - and also allowing use by all the chattering 'anklebiters' the remaining thirty six.

All in all we had a very interesting time. We had some extremely knowledgeable:friendly_wink: people in the small group.

Mention was made of poor range using the legal frequencies: maybe it was in heavily trafficked cities, each transmitter de-sensing a nearby one and under optimized antennae. By the coast conditions were much more favourable. Even four watts could give some very long contacts on a regular basis, such as South Devon to the Channel Islands which of course was a clear path over sea. Snow and water were a great enhancers of signals and folks perched on hilltops could be copied at great distances.

We had a very interesting time and as there were some very knowledgeable people in the group it gave opportunity to answer questions by youngsters who had the courage to 'break; into our nets. (can't remember the CB word)

We tried to listen to a group tonight formed as a chat about the day it became legal. Some idiot from the Leicester area came over the top of everyone and spoiled it....thats why it fails. Delta Lady signing off.

I worked 6 QSO's last night including one in Leicester, but not with the old CB radio I connected it up to a meter/dummy load first and found no output, I had borrowed a 25 year old 1/4 wave dipole (the things some people have in their garages) so connected my ham radio (Yaesu FT 847) to it, and running slightly more than legal permitted power I joined in a birthday net on channel 30, and was taken back 30 years, Jan stopped me however it was causing TVI. I've got it on this morning having an earwig, and I must agree with Pete, it's a lot more fun on 11 MTR than 10.

Colin
(G6 ZDQ)

I think I have one somewhere but it's an Italian...lol ten a penny!

I heard the song Convoy on the radio on Friday. It's funny really if you hear the American truckers (they sometimes come over on the skip) they are still the same with the jargon and the chat. Here the idiots have won they taunt the truckers and now a lot of them just mess about especially in cities.

Back