• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Radio: Crystal Sets & CB Radio

Hope nobody minds my joining in, but you have brought back so many happy memories. I was Sunrise, from 1986 member of the "Golf Charlies" Letchworth Herts, where for some years I was the secretary, also from 1990 a life member of the "Bravo Hotel DX group (Beds & Herts)" Gave up in the late 90's when we were overwhelmed by bucket mouths.

I only had an Amstad 901 with a halfwave , so was not able to get out all that far except when conditions were extremely good, but when going with other members to eyeballs ,using their great set-ups on high grounds, transmissions were exciting. We would be out about 4.00am, (sometimes all night) in pouring rain even in winter to get good copies.

I am so pleased to hear so many of shared that experience, the frienship was so widespread, and everyone was welcoming . Great days breakers, sadly gone.

As we always used to say "10.10 till we do it again, take care because we care" Sunrise (Aurora)

When CBs were illegal, a business associate and I were going to buy some and make vast profits because the resale price was sky-high. On the day the deal was about to go through, the government lifted the ban and the prices tumbled. We had a close escape from a financial disaster!
Great fun.
Ted

i still have mine and use it.what fun i had with cb,while repairing them at a shop in stechford we built a huge amp.when we switched it on.people was phoning us from miles away to say they could hear us calling.the only probs were it blanked all the tvs and set off alams all over brum.we had to pack in playing when the post office payed us a visit.now i play at being a ham hence mw0njm. but its not as much fun 73s
hi Pete i remember that shop Keith used to run it (he was a a lad he was).its now a video game shop run by Keiths son sence he died.Best Wishes Roger 73s and 88s.By the way i was also on cb in the 70s my Handle was Radar and i used to run a Cb club at the country girl pub saltley.

We remember the shop in Stechford we often visited on a Saturday.........it's driving me mad trying to remember the name!!

There used to be a female breaker in a tower block on Castle Vale. Although she talked to and helped mainly truckers, she used to talk to me when I was a taxi driver. Her handle was TINY TEARS.

There used to be a female breaker in a tower block on Castle Vale. Although she talked to and helped mainly truckers, she used to talk to me when I was a taxi driver. Her handle was TINY TEARS.

Yes I remember her Stitch. I lived on the Bromford then.

Hello Frothy, she was a real help for truckers looking for directions on that side of town. My handle was 'SNOWFLAKE'.

Frothy wasn't C.B. World by the Beaufort Cinema. I am sure they were the people who gave us the rigs for our T.U.B. raffles. They did well out of the publicity!

Wendy, ooh Wendy, I saw the man I said was connected to The California. He was involved in a thing called NASA. That stood for Northfield And Surrounding Areas. I think that would have been very late 70s, perhaps early 80s.

Trev That Nasa is right ..cant understand how I dont know this guy..ask him if he knew who ran the California Breakers club ..Ps It was the late 70s

Batteries charged up, on hand held, last night two truckers on Ch 35, tonight two in the distance on 35

Michael still has a CB. When they were building the new Bull Ring he spoke most days to one of the crane drivers. Stuck way up there all day it must have been lonely but no he was always chatting to someone.

A group of breakers all aged 50+ transmit most mornings on mid block in the Walsall area. They talk about cars, computers, their XYL's, the good old AM days, and of course their rigs. They all can increase their 'poundage' to blank out the 'dead keyers' and mouthy ones who descend from ch19. The only time they get upset is when some passing truckers call them 'dummie brummies'....:)

Oh dear, this is going to hurt, I have to apologise because I said I knew a man who was someting to do with a group called NASA at The Calafornia pub. I should have said that the NASA group was housed at The STONEHOUSE PUB.

Tiny Tears and her husband became friends for a while, a few of us local delivery drivers used to drop in for a cuppa and chat. Remember Kpack, Sherlock, & Silver Lady in particular. My handle was Leadfoot (something to do with my driving habits according to my boss at the time!!)

I had a 40 channel CB in my Datsun 120y in about 1981. I think it was a "Midland" CB can anyone remember if that was a CB radio make ?. I bought it from CB World Castle Bromwich.

Me and my girlfriend at the time used to go to a club upstairs at the Aston Tavern I think the pub was called ? (by Aston Hall and the Aston Villa Leisure Centre and the old ASDA, now derelict)

My "handle" was straightjacket, I can remember that. We all lost interest when they became legal !!!

John

Back