• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cinema - ledsam street,

Mariep

The cinema in Ledsam St was the Regent, known to the locals as the Ledsam. It is not still standing today as most if Ledsam St has gone with only a few original factories left.

Phil

HockleyRegentLedsamSt_opt.jpg

I remember going to the Ledsam (as we called it) to see a film called 'Bedtime for Bonzo', who incidentally was a monkey. This picture house was called a flea pit. Actually I would have only been about 4 or 5 yrs old at the time I saw the film.

hi there it as all gone it finaly went in 1958 along with all the old houses in around 1957 58 and the starting of the new redelelemont
the last one out was clarkes scrap yard i remember the whole part of that area being built from there and ladywood rd right back to broad st sheepcote street the whoe lot
best wishes astonian

A friend, Antoinette, tells me that her grandmother, Millie Hall (b 1898) used to play the piano at the cinema in Ledsam Street, to accompany the silent movies, in the 1920s. Does anyone have any pictures or information from around that time? Thanks.

A classic example of the legendary flea it I guess. The only time I was ever in a similar place was the Alhambra, Normacot, Longton.

Back