• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CINEMA CORNER OF BORDESLEY GREEN AND CROWN ROAD

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
not sure if this has been posted before but here is an old st view of what used to be a cinema...you can clearly see the lovely tiles and outline of the building...i have not been down to check it for a while but no doubt its almost gone..i did know the name of it but cant remember now what it was second st view is recent all overgrown and not sure what is left now...very sad..actually if postie sees this i think he may know the name

lyn

Last edited:
It was called the ELITE Lyn......here's a couple of nice pics.....never used it....always used the Era, just a bit further down the road....

Attachments

• Elite Cinema BGE.jpg
    Elite Cinema BGE.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Elite Cinema copy.jpg
    Elite Cinema copy.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 34
It was called the ELITE Lyn......here's a couple of nice pics.....never used it....always used the Era, just a bit further down the road....
I don't remember this cinema at all but definitely remember the billiard hall next door. My memories are of the Era and Saturday kids shows.

looking at the side of the building the top half has gone and it is being used as an open scrap yard

looking at the side of the building the top half has gone and it is being used as an open scrap yard

Crown Road Spares. I think the area at the end of the road used to be were all the brick making pits used to be.

When I was very young I had to walk pass that picture house on my way to my grandmothers house ( she didn't like being called nan) who lived in Templefield Street, My uncle who used to take me told me that it was bombed during the war, me being a 5 or 6 years thought that it was full of ghosts, and I would be scared to walk past it. I drove past there a year or more ago and I was surprised to see it or part of it still standing.

On a 1937 map it is listed as a 'Picture House' but on the 1950 map as 'Warehouse', so perhaps it did sustain some bomb damage.

the info on the photo on post 2 says the last film to be shown was passport to fame which came out in 1935 of course the film could have been shown later than that.. after bomb damage it was then taken over by the government and used as a food store during the war years derequisitioned in 1955 and the plan was to then use it as a warehouse..so given all this info unless it is wrong i wonder if any of our members would be old enough to have been to this cinema but if so what year

lyn

Last edited:
I can remember the Billiard Hall. In the last year of Skool we were allowed to leave the premises during lunchtime but forbidden to visit the Billiard Hall.

Oft times it was up to Wimbushes for 'half a French stick', comsune the interior and then into the 'Chippie' where said 'stick' got replenished.

As for the Billiard Hall. Well, we were banned [by the Skool] from there, weren't we. ;) :grinning::grinning:

I can't remember the 'Elight' ever fully functioning as a cinema during my time living in the area (mid 50s/60s)... but it was definitely an interesting local 'landmark'.
Annie

Hi,

Mid 60s I lived for a time in the flat over the tobacconists (Walker and Walker)
on the other corner of Crown Road - 36A Bordesley Green.

I don't remember any activity at that time in the Elite, but there may have been
stuff stored in there.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Mid 60s I lived for a time in the flat over the tobacconists (Walker and Walker)
on the other corner of Crown Road - 36A Bordesley Green.

I don't remember any activity at that time in the Elite, but there may have been
stuff stored in there.

Kind regards
Dave
yes thats what i think dave...as said in the newspaper article it was meant to be used as a warehouse after the government had finished with it in 1955...shame really but it did suffer bomb damage

lyn

I can't remember the 'Elight' ever fully functioning as a cinema during my time living in the area (mid 50s/60s)... but it was definitely an interesting local 'landmark'.
Annie
It seems that everyone who grew up round there called it the EE-light as Annie mentions not Elleet as we from the north (Erdington) would call it. I love the way we locals have different names - like Cath-err-yne Street for Catherine Street in Aston.

Lyn, we did take a couple of photos of the tiles etc some years ago and I posted them on the forum so will have a look later.

pen i tried to get a couple of tiles a few years back but couldnt quite get to them

lyn

thanks for the photos pen as you say where has the time gone doubt there are many tiles left now though

lyn

Back