• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cincinnati, Kingsbury Road.

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Trying to help my Uncle who's in his eighties. He worked at Cincinnati in the 50's and we were discussing "the old days" as you do and I mentioned this Forum to him. He asked if I could look to see if there were old employees out there who may have pictures etc. He played football for the works team and would love to see any reminisces or pics.

On another note, I do online grocery shopping for him and I heard this on the radio the other day.

Grandson to Grandmother one evening about 10pm.
"Come on Nan, tell me what you want and I'll go online and get it ordered."

Grandmother.
"Will the Internet still be open at this time?"

Well, I thought it was funny.

Hello David. Cincinnati as been acquired by Urban Splash, the company that done up the Fort and the Rotunda. So I can only assume it's going to be turned into apartments maybe?

My mother's friend Eileen Smith worked at Cinncinati Milling in Kingsbury Roadi in the offices in the early l950's. She invited my Mother and three kids to the Sports Day there I remember. It was held on a field behind the main building and they had races, etc. for the children. I always remember being given a small paper bag containing Puffed Wheat which had been dyed different colours with food colouring and sweetened. Amazing what you remember.

As kids we used to watch Cincinnati playing baseball at the Ritz park in Bordesley Green East. If we were lucky, they would chuck us some chewing gum.

Thanks for posting the link for Cinncinati Alf. No wonder Urban Splash bought this building to convert. The situation is positively idyllic. The apartments will sell for very high prices I would imagine.

Yes Jennyann, all I remember of it is that it was near Fisher & Ludlows when I passed it on the way home to Coleshill. Haven't been to Birmingham for about 11 years

Alf, you are well overdue for a visit to Brum. You would be surprised at the changes. It's three years since I have visited and I know I would be all agog at what's happened in those three years.

A party of workers from BSA Tools, Kitts Green, went on a visit to the Cinncinati factory, circa 1950`s, after a tour of the machine tool manufacturing section we were shown a film of a new machine tool presentation in the USA, the cinema was luxurious with banked seats so that you had a great view of the screen, their other company on the site was Horden, Mason & Edwards they made power press`s, they were making some for the Royal Mint blanking out coins.

Yes Jennyann, but it would have to be in disguise and undercover of Darkness or these lovely Folk on the Forum might ask me in for a drink and I might not get back

Thanks everyone for your comments and thanks Alf for the link. We're off to see my Aunt and Uncle in Boldmere tomorrow (my Aunt's suffering from Dementia quite badly and my Uncle can't get out for various reasons) so I've printed your comments as well as the Urban Splash pdf to show him.

David

Just reposting on this to help someone new to the Forum. He wasn't sure about the fact that the posts stopped so long ago, I told him that by adding a reply the thread becomes "live" again.
So, Danny, hope you can add now.

Does anyone know if the Cincinnati Theatre is still standing? They had a very good musical society years ago.

Big Gee

The building is still there, but looking in a bit of a sorry state now. I remember the theatre was really nice and looked very modern, went to a panto there. Also rember a school trip and being impressed by how nice it looked as you went across the bridge to the main building.

My Dad worked there late 60's / early 70's time, all I remember was going to the kids Christmas Party in the big dining hall ! I have a photo of him somewhere greeting Petula Clark during a visit, at least I think its there, or it could have been Lucas / Girling where he moved onto from there !

Amongst some of the old paperwork in my house, I've just found what looks like a page torn out of what was probably some sort of factory publication, it shows my dad meeting princess margaret but theres no reference to any date !

Hi Pewster: it might have been in 1951 that Princess Margaret visited Cincinnati Milling Machines. It doesn't mention that particular factory on this site but it could have been that year since the Princess visited some factories in the area. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Prin...nt:+The+Industrial+Princess+The...-a082741114
Here are some photos of the factory in Pype Hayes. I remember going to a Sports Day there many years ago as my Mother had a friend who worked in the office there.
It was a great day. https://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati/page5.html

Hi Pewster: it might have been in 1951 that Princess Margaret visited Cincinnati Milling Machines. It doesn't mention that particular factory on this site but it could have been that year since the Princess visited some factories in the area. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Princess+Margaret+Tribute+supplement%3A+The+Industrial+Princess+The...-a082741114
Here are some photos of the factory in Pype Hayes. I remember going to a Sports Day there many years ago as my Mother had a friend who worked in the office there.
It was a great day. https://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati/page5.html

Some great links there, thanks. Think 51 was probably a decade early for my Dad so maybe it was during her 65 visit or there about, will have to some research.

Apologies if I have posted these wrong

I do have 36 in total but not sure if you would be interested. Its mainly behind the scenes (Boiler room)

I used to work next door a the Coca Cola Schweppes factory (long since gone) and remember the beautify kept gardens bordering the canal bank at the front of Cincinnatti

Hi Hellboy, thanks for posting these photo's, I'm sure more would be most welcome. My Father-in-Law worked there in the late 60's / early 70's and would be chuffed to see them

Thanks

Rob.

Oh boy, has this sparked up some memories.
I worked there from 1958 until around 1968 serving my time as an apprentice machine tool fitter. I moved to Biggleswade for a couple of years with Heald grinders then came back to Brum. I used to run the projector in the theatre for the monthly film shows. I also helped with the plays that we put on and musical productions.
Remember every Christmas everyone queuing up at the kitchen doors for our free turkey. Tragedy when a guy called Johny Ray got trapped in the cables on the overhead crane, he died sadly. Remember Dave Sambrook, Keith Harbord, Rob Horton, Roy Kitchen, Sam Wild (my mentor). Sorry I've got no photos but the ones posted really bring back the good old days.

Cincinnati should have been listed. This wonderful building is now in the process of being pulled down

Last edited:
Don't think it's working Froth. Wholeheartedly agree, it SHOULD have been listed. The building in its heyday. Think I'd struggle with that floor after a few bevvies! Viv.

image.jpeg ]image.jpeg. image.jpeg

For some reason I can't link to flicker to this site?
Try it this way.
Sad to see Cincinnati being pulled down.

Attachments

• 24956195824_b51f5e965c_k.jpg
    24956195824_b51f5e965c_k.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 41
  • snip_20160308122428.jpg
    snip_20160308122428.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 36
  • snip_20160308122515.jpg
    snip_20160308122515.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 39
  • snip_20160308122555.jpg
    snip_20160308122555.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 39
  • snip_20160308122636.jpg
    snip_20160308122636.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 37
Few more

Attachments

• snip_20160308122704.jpg
    snip_20160308122704.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 45
  • snip_20160308122804.jpg
    snip_20160308122804.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 39
  • snip_20160308122837.jpg
    snip_20160308122837.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 41
  • snip_20160308122907.jpg
    snip_20160308122907.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 39
I just want to say a great big THANK YOU to all who posted on this thread.
My Mother worked in the canteen when I was little and I only knew it as 'sinsinati'. It has been wonderful to see the photos and hear the stories, always good to put a face to a name!!! lol
Thanks again.

Back