• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cigarette smoking

dennis

master brummie
Hi Alf,
I was quite surprised to see that those "Turf" cigs
were out in the 30s,thought they had come out during WW2
live & learn Eh,thanks for the website info

Me to Dennis if you smoked they smoked like Turf :2funny: They also had an excuse for a cigarette card they printed them on the back of the inner sleeve and you had to cut them out, rubbish.

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER THE CIGS OF YESTERYEAR , NELSON . DOMINO, STRAND , PARKDRIVE TIPPED. WOODBINE TIPPED, AND IF WE HAD ENOUGH POCKET MONEY PASSING CLOUD OR SOBRANI ? THE ONES OF MANY COLOURS I AM SURE THERE MUST HAVE BEEN MORE I GAVE UP LAST YEAR AFTER FORTY PLUS YEARS BUT I STILL THINK OF THOSE DAYS.
JOHN

Hows about Gold Flake, Black Cat Virginia, Ogdens, Capstan, Players, (Embassy going back to 1906) Robin, Gold Plate ,

Players Weights
There was an amusement arcade in either Dale End or Corporation Street called the Bingo and they had a crane grab machine where you had to try and grab one of the good prizes like a watch but the bottom of the case was covered in loose Players Weights and you usually finished up with one of them, they were months old and dried up and they tasted horrible but hey, when you're 14 a smokes a smoke ;)

Three Castles & Senior Service Caspian Full Strength :buck2:

Navy Cut.......my Mother smoked those things along with Peter Styvesent

I used to fetch 5 Woodbines for my Granddad :eek:

hi alf . and john i remember the little packet of the olld dommies, me and my school mates used to buy them on the way to school when we used to go icknield st hockley ,my old chums , was tony raybone , terry yeomans eddie southern and david allen , we would chip together to get the price of a tanner between us , we used to get them from an old tobbaconist on spring hill oppersite the turf public house they was small like dog ends and in a paper packet , that was the days , guys,, . and there was five in a packet . best wishes , astonian . ;;;;;;;;

My father smoked and I often went to the shops to buy cigarettes for him. I remember all the brands that have been mentioned above....Dad smoked Player's mostly. After the war when rationing was in effect, it was hard for smokers to secure a steady supply of their favourite brand. My father used to go to our family grocer, Mr Trappett on Marsh Hill, Mr. T would keep a few packets by for him when he received an order. If Mr. Trappett couldn't get the well known brands he would stock in some Turkish cigarettes called Pashas. Dad always moaned about how awful they were but smoked them anyway since there were no other brands available.

Remember Players number6 and embassy with the coupons? I'd like to see them get away with something like that today. I started as a 5 Park Drive kid at 14, then Nelson, Senior Service, then #6 until I left England. I stopped about 10 years ago, and regret the day I started. I am now the worlds worst reformed smoker. Next week in Australia, smoking is banned in Pubs. That should cause a stir. When I was working in China, almost all the men that I saw smoked, yet I can't recall ever seeing a woman smoke. Maybe they did, but in private. The habit has certainly changed over the years.

Frantic said:
Remember Players number6 and embassy with the coupons? I'd like to see them get away with something like that today. I started as a 5 Park Drive kid at 14, then Nelson, Senior Service, then #6 until I left England. I stopped about 10 years ago, and regret the day I started. I am now the worlds worst reformed smoker...

Frantic, I smoked all those you mention, and a lot more. If my memory serves me correctly, you could exchange 250,000 No.6 coupons for an iron lung. ::) You can't be "the world's worst reformed smoker" cos I am!

Barry, yup, I remember those joysticks. We got them at the sweet shop opposite Handsworth New Road school. I think they were about 3d each.

rasta2bigsmoke0gf.gif

Thanks to Alf, I just found this advert from 1920...

1534.jpg

... it's not very clear to my old eyes but could that be the first health warning on a packet of ciggies?​

Great find Oisin

Basically it Say's, other firms produce their Ciggies by machine at 1000s per minute and contain Tobacco Dust and Sand.

So it could be a sort of Health warning. The rest of the writing what I can make out is selling the virtues of their Cigs.

By the way I used the Hubble Telescope to get in close.

Original images not available, replaced with photos below which may vary from original images.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember the stink from those camel poo ciggies?,it was said everyone knew what they were made of,but how did they dry it?.:(
When someone lit one up in the cinema,everyone would gasp and splutter.:rolleyes:

Yes Ray they did stink didn't they. My dad smoked TWIST in his pipe and that was dreadful as well.

I can remember smoking at the age of 12 and one of the first ciggies i tried was capstan full strength never again i thought but started smoking regular,except in the house,and one cigarette brand was self lighting does anyone recall the brand?. I finally packed up in 2000 and have not felt the urge for a ciggie since then,i agree that camel ciggies were dire and the better option was not to have a smoke than have one of those ciggies

Back