• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Street Birmingham

I am working on the assumption that 56 - 60 Newhall Street are the same buildings in all the directories as the buildings in the photo but am confused by a lack of mention of St Philips Chambers.
I can't find a Queen Street in Birmingham - there are 2 listed one in Sparkbrook and one in Smethwick.

Looking at Janice’s directory names, could the words we’ve mentioned behind the railings (burglary and bursary) actually be “Infirmary” Vv.

The Buckler and Web Building is said to be at the corner of Queen St and Cornwall Street.

[rubbish it is Church Street not Queen Street !,! I was in Queer Street]

Last edited:
Looking at Janice’s directory names, could the words we’ve mentioned behind the railings (burglary and bursary) actually be “Infirmary” Vv.
It could but I thought the Infirmary was next to the building housing number 60. i.e the Infirmary had no number.

There are original street numbers on the building. “No.56” is marked above the one entrance and “No.60” is above the other in Newhall Street. Viv.

D518AAE8-673B-4166-9E61-177F7DB50610.jpeg

And been trying to work out what these symbolise, they’re near the eaves of the building. Could just be decorative though. Viv.

C9337E36-C70B-4886-A25E-CF4F0F4EAF87.jpeg

Thanks. That supports the idea from post #11 that we have either misinterpreted the caption or it refers to the architects offices.

Thanks. That supports the idea from post #11 that we have either misinterpreted the caption or it refers to the architects offices.
The building is on Newhall St about 3 properties away from 50/52 Newhall st which I think is on the corner of Edmund St. Just seen in property advert for corner building. Not sure I can use their photo.

And been trying to work out what these symbolise, they’re near the eaves of the building. Could just be decorative though. Viv.

View attachment 156166
These reliefs depict St. George fighting the Dragon and are well illustrated in the book "Faces of Old Birmingham", a 130 page full colour pocket guide book to some of the old buildings still standing in the city centre.
The book was published in 2019 and I understand is only available from Symphony Hall Gift Shop.
PA739

Attachments

• bc 5.jpg
    bc 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
The building is on Newhall St about 3 properties away from 50/52 Newhall st which I think is on the corner of Edmund St. Just seen in property advert for corner building. Not sure I can use their photo.
No worries as we have a photo in post #7 - it was the caption which confused us but your post shows that St Philip's Chambers are elsewhere.

Thanks PA739 was just trying to work it out and I can see that now. You can see both figures looking up at the dragon. There are 4 figures altogether on the building. Viv.

92572B11-AEC4-4BFC-A1DA-D0BEAB191C38.jpeg

This trade card was featured in a 1939 newspaper showing a much, much earlier scene along Church Street. The card shows Thomason’s manufactory, later taken over by George Richmond Collis & Co. I’ve included a modern Google Streetview for comparison. Hard to believe what was once there. Viv.

EEF41055-8C5D-4C41-9EF6-855B7A9C3575.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

D04984D2-F36A-479E-9E91-18D379FCE548.jpeg

This trade card was featured in a 1939 newspaper showing a much, much earlier scene along Church Street. The card shows Thomason’s manufactory, later taken over by George Richmond Collis & Co. I’ve included a modern Google Streetview for comparison. Hard to believe what was once there. Viv.

View attachment 160953
Source: British Newspaper Archive

View attachment 160954
Sir Edward Thomason's Manufactory seems to have been quite a building with the 4 horses and statues on its roof and by Royal appointment insignia over the entrance. Did the building have a previous life? The list of activities is very impressive too. Was that how they spelt ormolu then (OR MOLU) with a space ? It did lead me to read about the process and how unhealthy it was because of the involvement of mercury.

This was also Thomason's Manufactory in Church Street, but this time it shows the warehouse. Maybe this was an earlier building ? I can’t make sense of this building in the context of that shown in post #36. Unfortunately I don’t know the dates of the two trade cards. Presumably the one below precedes the one in post #36. Viv.

46FE8E7C-3A4F-42EA-84F3-4889EBCF9315.jpeg5F84F26F-FD1B-47F9-8B5C-6BA5D788E59F.jpeg

Viv these seem to be an 1808 directory

Back