• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road, Yardley.

1851 Church Road does not seem to exist but:
The Causeway Yardley has an entry for The Shrubbery for
Thos D Clare (or Clure) and family + servants. Wife, 2 daughters and 1 son +2 visitors + 2 sisters in law + 3 servants
A lack of maps online of early date means I can't prove or disprove whether Causeway and Church Road are the same place or, indeed the same house.
That last comment goes for all of the records. The original could have been rebuilt with the same name.

Last edited:
No mention of The Shrubbery on 1841 there is one entry possible on the Causeway
Bartholomew Bretherton (I think) listed as a Coach proprietor - wife + 2 children + 6 others
One site I saw suggested that Martin Billings was the first occupant.

Last edited:
No mention of The Shrubbery on 1841 there is one entry possible on the Causeway
Bartholomew Bretherton (I think) listed as a Coach proprietor - wife + 2 children + 6 others
One site I saw suggested that Martin Billings was the first occupant.
I read that Martin Billings was in The Shrubbery in 1858. Also I have seen The Causeway too so I think that was the name before Church Road. I suppose it was originally just a dirt track. The original village would have been up where the Church is now with just a few cottages along the road down to the Yew Tree. I know that the Flavell family owned a lot of land around the Yew Tree so that is another name I need to look at.

I know that there was water somewhere around the Yew Tree and I think there may have been some sort of stream in front of what is now the bank. The roadway there was going to be a continuation of Hob Moor Road but I am not sure why it never happened. It goes into a small car park now in front of the block of flats.

Below is a map c1888 showing the Shrubbery (and Long Causeway), and enclosure map from 1847, which seems to show a building at the position of the shrubbery (in red)

enclosure map 1847 showing possible shrubbery.jpgOS map c1888 showing the Shrubbery.jpg

My next query is - Does anyone know where The Limes in Church Road was situated?

I have looked at both the 1901 and 1911 census and The Limes is entered next door to the Ring of Bells. I thought that maybe The Limes was what became the Carmelite Monastery (this was in between the old and the "new" Ring o' Bells) but I have found that was originally The Grange. Checking the 1901 again, it also shows The Swifts & Gilderbrook, I am thinking that all these houses were in the old Village or at least going up Church Road (towards the old village, but I have no idea really.

My next query is - Does anyone know where The Limes in Church Road was situated?

I have looked at both the 1901 and 1911 census and The Limes is entered next door to the Ring of Bells. I thought that maybe The Limes was what became the Carmelite Monastery (this was in between the old and the "new" Ring o' Bells) but I have found that was originally The Grange. Checking the 1901 again, it also shows The Swifts & Gilderbrook, I am thinking that all these houses were in the old Village or at least going up Church Road (towards the old village, but I have no idea really.
I realise now that the old Ringers was not where I thought it was, but was in the car park of the "new" pub.

According to the 1900 Kelly's directory The Limes is between the Old Ring O Bells and The Grange
1622040316170.png
1884 map - the property I think must be the Limes is in yellow. The Grange is written over the land as well as next to the house.
1622040450858.png

Last edited:
The Grange (which became the Carmelite Monastery) was next door to the Old Ring O' Bells. The new Ringers was build behind the old one and then the old one demolished to make way for the car park of the new pub, This was in the mid 1930's but surely there would not have been the need for such a large car park at that time. So I cannot see how the Limes could have been in between the pub and the Grange, unless The Limes was a smaller house than I think it may have been. But then on the 1911 census it states that there were 11 rooms, so it must have been a reasonable size. What I really need is a photo of the old Ring of Bells showing next door as I bet the house was there. All those photos I have seen just seem to show the pub itself. Looking back on the Ring o' Bells forum I have found a photo and there is wall between the pub and the Grange so that must be where the Limes was situated.

Hi,

I remember that the wall was fairly high, and I am sure you could see the top of a building
near the corner of the wall by the roadside. . This would tie in with the 'yellow house'
shown in post 367.

Kind regards
Dave

Sue, regarding The Shrubbery; my memory of it in its original state is hazy as I was but an infant prior to the Yew Tree shopping centre being developed, but I think I remember that the front garden of the Shrubbery had very tall, mature trees along the front edge of it so you could hardly see the house from Church road and it had a lowish wall - 2-3 feet, that I was lifted up onto and helped to walk along the top. It had a sense of mystery about it. I am sure that your mother-in-law Margaret would remember much better than I can. Next time you speak to her would it be possible to ask if I right or am I completely imagining it please!?

Sue, regarding The Shrubbery; my memory of it in its original state is hazy as I was but an infant prior to the Yew Tree shopping centre being developed, but I think I remember that the front garden of the Shrubbery had very tall, mature trees along the front edge of it so you could hardly see the house from Church road and it had a lowish wall - 2-3 feet, that I was lifted up onto and helped to walk along the top. It had a sense of mystery about it. I am sure that your mother-in-law Margaret would remember much better than I can. Next time you speak to her would it be possible to ask if I right or am I completely imagining it please!?
Susan

Haven't seen mother n law for just over 18 months now but will be speaking tonight so I will mention the wall. I am sure I put a picture of it on the forum before the shops were built in the garden along Church Road.

Meanwhile does anyone remember Sister Petra? She was the only nun who was allowed out of the Carmelite Monastery. She used to walk down Church Road to the shops, pushing a wooden barrow.

Thank you to Sue Malings and her mother in law Margaret for confirming my memory of the trees and low wall in front of the Shrubbery area is correct.

Regarding The Shrubbery, I don't know if researchers have seen this already?: https://aghs.jimdofree.com/lists-from-the-1847-schedule/

It is a Tithe map of the area and the house and cottages (four houses and gardens) are clearly shown on it as well as a small path in the vicinity of Croft road. It also mentions the owners and occupants. An interesting web site which also shows old photos of Yardley.

Regarding The Shrubbery, I don't know if researchers have seen this already?: https://aghs.jimdofree.com/lists-from-the-1847-schedule/

It is a Tithe map of the area and the house and cottages (four houses and gardens) are clearly shown on it as well as a small path in the vicinity of Croft road. It also mentions the owners and occupants. An interesting web site which also shows old photos of Yardley.
It is annoying that I cannot open anything, I keep getting error messages!

Google 'Acocks Green History Society' and look at the sitemap for tithe maps etc. Hope that works and it is something new.

Hello,
Just joined the forum.I live in Auckland NZ but was born in wash lane and raised in a prefab in Holder road School was Bierton Rd .After getting married in 66 we lived in Flora rd for 9 years. Fond memories were visiting the flea pit (The Delph)and the Tiv picture houses.I also on weekends and holidays help the delivery men at Hardings Bakery .Always went for the horse and carts there was a few still around then.I look forward to reading your posts and reliving some of those times.

Hello,
Just joined the forum.I live in Auckland NZ but was born in wash lane and raised in a prefab in Holder road School was Bierton Rd .After getting married in 66 we lived in Flora rd for 9 years. Fond memories were visiting the flea pit (The Delph)and the Tiv picture houses.I also on weekends and holidays help the delivery men at Hardings Bakery .Always went for the horse and carts there was a few still around then.I look forward to reading your posts and reliving some of those times.
I lived on Moat Lane across from the church and rec centre we used to play tennis in the field across the street. Have fond memories of Harding bakery and a slice of fresh bread The Tiv on Sats snoggin with my bird in the back Flash Gordon snd movitone news

Hello,
Welcome! I often marvel how much people's paths cross. I have a friend who now lives in Omokoroa, not a million miles from you, who lived by the Beaufort. A great uncle worked at Wash Lane fire station, my gran had Harding's bread delivered by horse and cart, she lived in Tyseley. I was in Life Boys in Moat Lane and often went to the Tivoli and Adelphi.

Hello,
Nice to hear from someone who went to Bierton Rd School, I lived in the Ring so not far from the school, girls on one side boys on the other, my friend lived in Wash Lane so knew it well, I remember going to the Tivoli and asking an older male to get us in to see an X film, I think it was the Mummy. More than a few went to Bierton who lived in the Ring, small world. Do you remember the pre fabs on Hobmoor Rd past wash lane going up the hill.

Back