• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road, Yardley.

ItaliaNona - The shop was knows as Mrs. Dales. Mrs. Dale owned it. Do you know Yardley well? My mother in law has lived there all her life. Haven't seen her for almost 12 months though as we don't live in Birmingham.
I don't remember Mrs Dales shop, whereabouts was it? I left Hobmoor Road in 63 when I got married.

The shop that Italian Nonna was asking about was on the corner of Patrick Road and Croft Road, Yardley. I used to live in Garretts Green and caught the number 17 bus to work every day. It went up Hob Moor Road. My mom bought a small book case from Russells, the furniture store that used to be at the bottom of Hob Moor at the Yew Tree.

The shop that Italian Nonna was asking about was on the corner of Patrick Road and Croft Road, Yardley. I used to live in Garretts Green and caught the number 17 bus to work every day. It went up Hob Moor Road. My mom bought a small book case from Russells, the furniture store that used to be at the bottom of Hob Moor at the Yew Tree.

Yes I do remember that shop now, my cousin lived at 40 Patrick Road, and a girl I went to school with called Carol Watterson did too. How things change - and how fast life goes by..

I remember the old Swan and the island before the underpass. My husband lived in Holcombe Rd Tyseley facing Brian Irons (Denny Lane) from Moody Blues. Was your Dad's taxi business by Newbrige Rd end?
Brian Hines (Denny Laine) lived on the corner of Fieldhead Rd /Holcombe Rd where my Dad was born and they used to play together but Dad went to Moseley Grammar and Brian to Yardley Grammar.

Regarding the 1953 Coronation evening event venue (group photograph above), thanks to contributor Sue Malling and the sharp memory of her mother in law Margaret Dawkins, who is one of the young adults in the photograph, we now know where it was held. It was not in a school behind the Yew Tree pub as I previously thought but in a function room above the Birmingham Cooperative Society grocery store in Stoney Lane, near the Yew Tree. Apparently dances were regularly held there. I remember as a child being taken to the upstairs room by my mother when she went to see Co-op cookery or product demonstrations. I suspect that the building still stands and is divided up into three shops. The shop seemed vast when I was an infant. Here is the building I mean on Google Street View with the BCS logo clearly visible.

My mom would have been at hobmoor primary school around the same time As yourself. Mr Hughes was one of her teachers then, and he was also my teacher between 1965 and 1970. My moms name was Patricia Chapman, I wonder if you remember her ?
Mr Hughes was my teacher too Steve between 1965 and 1970, Mr Drew was Headmaster, and do you remember Mr Westerman? At break time we used to go up to Mrs Roberts tuck shop jammie dodgers were alot bigger then, oh and do you remember the wirleygigs, all added to the Fruit Salads, Blackjacks and Gobstoppers we brought from the shop next to the entrance by Russells Furniture shop.....oh lovely memories

I lived at 46, Croft Road in the seventies and my sons went to Church Road school.

I used to live in Debenham Crescent which leads to Clements Rd. Me and my mate Keith used to score the Marlboro cricket club which we accessed at the side of Winnie's shop on Clements Rd, not the Stoney Lane entrance. From an earlier post I was one of the only males allowed into the Carmelite convent in Church Road as I was an alter server with the priest for mass and benediction. Only one nun was allowed to speak. They always served us a great breakfast afterwards. I was also the local paper boy delivering along Blakesley Rd past Blakesley Hall across Stonely Lane to Church Road. My sister was married at Yardley old Church. My local football team Yardley Ametures used to train at Hobmore Rd school. When I was older we used to go to Sunday disco at the rear of the Yewtree pub called the Sabbath. Another haunt was Bloomers club in the Swan center. Opposite was the s shaped building that the Council sold the land to Bryants the builders for their new. HQ but they moved to Solihull and it was used as offices. Mom used to buy some of her furniture from Russell's. I was there from 1960 to 1978 when I got married and moved on. Regards David.

I used to live in Debenham Crescent which leads to Clements Rd. Me and my mate Keith used to score the Marlboro cricket club which we accessed at the side of Winnie's shop on Clements Rd, not the Stoney Lane entrance. From an earlier post I was one of the only males allowed into the Carmelite convent in Church Road as I was an alter server with the priest for mass and benediction. Only one nun was allowed to speak. They always served us a great breakfast afterwards. I was also the local paper boy delivering along Blakesley Rd past Blakesley Hall across Stonely Lane to Church Road. My sister was married at Yardley old Church. My local football team Yardley Ametures used to train at Hobmore Rd school. When I was older we used to go to Sunday disco at the rear of the Yewtree pub called the Sabbath. Another haunt was Bloomers club in the Swan center. Opposite was the s shaped building that the Council sold the land to Bryants the builders for their new. HQ but they moved to Solihull and it was used as offices. Mom used to buy some of her furniture from Russell's. I was there from 1960 to 1978 when I got married and moved on. Regards David.
In late 1950's you would have found me in the Marlboro score box. Didn't know there was access from Clements Road.

In late 1950's you would have found me in the Marlboro score box. Didn't know there was access from Clements Road.
Hi Devonjim, there was Jowits paper shop, Winnie's grocery shop and I think a small salon with a side gate which was always locked. Winnie's son knew we watched the cricket so let us through to the back which was virtually open to the pitch and pavilion with the timber score box at the far end of the pavilion. We were asked one summer if we would like to score the match as the usual person was unavailable. This would have been circa 1966/67. Regards David.

Read with interest your comments on Church Road, my grandfather lived at 218, he also owned a cycle shop in the early 1950's in the same road. His name was William Linforth. His wifes parents (surname - Horsley) lived in Church Terrace - opposite St Edburgha's Church, also in Church Road Yardley. Wonder if you or others have any information on these.
Hello. I remember the shop in Church Road, selling cycle spares. We used to refer to Mr Linforth as "Daddy Linforth". Not to his face of course. He was very nice and put up with our cheek very well.
Happy days.

Hello. I remember the shop in Church Road, selling cycle spares. We used to refer to Mr Linforth as "Daddy Linforth". Not to his face of course. He was very nice and put up with our cheek very well.
Happy days.
Thanks Brian for your input on the subject of my Grandfathers Cycle shop, always interested in anything that people on the forum remember of him. Thanks for posting this. Hope you enjoy the forum. Thanks Again.

Over the years, members have mentioned the Shrubbery which was on the corner of Croft Road and Church Road, Yardley. In the 1950’s shops were built on Church Road and the entrance of the house was on Newcroft Grove. In 1984, my partner and I bought the premise, which was fairly derelict with a tree growing out of one of the chimneys, and transformed it into my company’s offices. We preserved as much as we could including the staircase and Victorian cast iron fireplaces. The company was founded in 1981 in the very early days of small computers and this year we celebrate our 40th anniversary. I went there today and notice that the house is mentioned on the plate outside the Weatherspoon pub. As you see, the paintwork has deteriorated over the past twelve months butwhen we are back to ‘normal times’ this will be rectified. I attach some photos.

4D96D7D1-7B6E-43EC-8C23-AA78B569E848.jpeg7B053E54-B3FC-4800-8877-8B81B2E08634.jpeg2C8BEC11-8A4F-4540-A5AD-AE3CD41BAA32.jpeg3F680736-8750-4CD4-A308-CE4EFD7FCFCF.jpegF36930A9-FED8-488B-A6AE-91ACBB7DCE51.jpegA5E0B801-77C6-4EE7-A17E-FBF02B863976.jpeg8AE5B7E2-3088-4861-957A-2B30B32DF2E5.jpeg7C60AD70-D7A7-4F26-83DE-0CF182CC7D2C.jpeg

Attachments

• 4F15BDD3-139C-4552-86FE-95984195DB62.jpeg
    4F15BDD3-139C-4552-86FE-95984195DB62.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Over the years, members have mentioned the Shrubbery which was on the corner of Croft Road and Church Road, Yardley. In the 1950’s shops were built on Church Road and the entrance of the house was on Newcroft Grove. In 1984, my partner and I bought the premise, which was fairly derelict with a tree growing out of one of the chimneys, and transformed it into my company’s offices. We preserved as much as we could including the staircase and Victorian cast iron fireplaces. The company was founded in 1981 in the very early days of small computers and this year we celebrate our 40th anniversary. I went there today and notice that the house is mentioned on the plate outside the Weatherspoon pub. As you see, the paintwork has deteriorated over the past twelve months butwhen we are back to ‘normal times’ this will be rectified. I attach some photos.

View attachment 155638View attachment 155637View attachment 155635View attachment 155636View attachment 155639View attachment 155640View attachment 155632View attachment 155634
Thanks so much for the photos. Although I don't live in Birmingham now, my mother in law lives just over the road from you (number 2). You probably know of her. Unfortunately she does not have a computer (and I don't have a colour printer) so I can't show her the photos, although we have not seen her for over 12 months. She was 92 this year and has lived in Yardley for most of her life, being in Newcroft Grove since the houses were built around 1959-60. I will tell her you have sent them and maybe one day she will be able to see them. I have been researching Yardley, her family and the Shrubbery for a number of years now. She remembers the two sister's who lived there.

Thanks so much for the photos. Although I don't live in Birmingham now, my mother in law lives just over the road from you (number 2). You probably know of her. Unfortunately she does not have a computer (and I don't have a colour printer) so I can't show her the photos, although we have not seen her for over 12 months. She was 92 this year and has lived in Yardley for most of her life, being in Newcroft Grove since the houses were built around 1959-60. I will tell her you have sent them and maybe one day she will be able to see them. I have been researching Yardley, her family and the Shrubbery for a number of years now. She remembers the two sister's who lived there.
Hi Sue. Thank you for your comments. I remember I was in my office a few years ago and I saw a lady taking a photo from the front gate. I went down to find out what she was doing and ,there was a lovely old couple on the front doorstep being photographed. The lady said she was born in the house many years ago and her daughter was taking the photos. I invited them in and it was wonderful to see she recognised a lot of the inside that we had renovated but not destroyed. She told me that the bottom office on the left was her grandmother’s bedroom and said about the other rooms.

I am in the office next Wednesday, 14th. If your mother in law is willing and can climb the stairs, I am quite happy to show her inside and let her reminisce. I should be free about 3 in the afternoon. If you are interested, Send me an email me on [email protected]

Back