• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Church Road, Yardley.

The travel agent was Bill Simmonds trading as W .T. Simmonds he also owned the newsagents next door. He ran it with his wife and they had a daughter but I cannot remember her name. Bill died young due to all the Senior Service he smoked and his wife continued with the business for a while. I left the area in 1959 after living in Hob Moor Road close to the Yew Tree for 20 years. My parents continued to live there until retiring down to Gloucestershire in 1967.
Elizabeth was their daughter.

I think the cul de sac you mean was Milton Crescent, which lead to Hardings bakery. In have just looked on Google and it is still there but with no name. I used to go to Hardings on a Saturday looking to help one of the drivers for the day, I also used to go to Saturday matinee at the Tivoli.
Don Dearson grocery shop was on the corner of The Causeway.

Don Dearson grocery shop was on the corner of The Causeway.
When we first moved to Yardley we lived on a Cul de sac off Church Rd before the shops, that billy Hardens barber shop and a news Agents, across from Hardings backed onto the park that we could walk through to Cov rd by the Old Bill station anyone remember the name of it. long gone now

A question from my wife & daughter.... (We lived next door to this place, now our daughter does)

On the corner of Church road & Wroxton road, Yardley, there is now a veterinary centre..... Before that it was a bathroom showroom. On the angled corner of the shop, above the ground floor is a very faded sign.... What did/does it say? (It can be clearly seen on Google maps)

Presumably built in the early 1900's, I wonder whether it started as a shop, or, got converted later.

Any info will hopefully shut 'em up!!!! ;)

Cheers

BiLL
Do you remember the grocery/sweets/cooked meats shop corner of Patrick Rd/Croft Rd? It's been bugging me what the shop was called, it a house now. T.I.A.

Does anyone remember the Old Swan - I used to go dancing there on a Thursday night the Modernaires played there. I used to go with Graeme Edge sometimes - who is still the drummer with the Moody Blues. I used to live in Hobmoor Road by the community centre where my dad ran a taxi service.
That was my band, if it was the one in the 1950s we played the Swan and many other pubs around Yardley and Brum Packed then in we did, But after I left in 1957 for the USA I understand another bad used our name Ted Haynes me and the band 001.jpg

Does anyone remember the Old Swan - I used to go dancing there on a Thursday night the Modernaires played there. I used to go with Graeme Edge sometimes - who is still the drummer with the Moody Blues. I used to live in Hobmoor Road by the community centre where my dad ran a taxi service.
I remember the old Swan and the island before the underpass. My husband lived in Holcombe Rd Tyseley facing Brian Irons (Denny Lane) from Moody Blues. Was your Dad's taxi business by Newbrige Rd end?

I remember the old Swan and the island before the underpass. My husband lived in Holcombe Rd Tyseley facing Brian Irons (Denny Lane) from Moody Blues. Was your Dad's taxi business by Newbrige Rd end?
Yes it was up the hill towards the Old Community Centre.

ItaliaNona - The shop was knows as Mrs. Dales. Mrs. Dale owned it. Do you know Yardley well? My mother in law has lived there all her life. Haven't seen her for almost 12 months though as we don't live in Birmingham.

Whereabouts was the shop? I lived in Partidge Road, then Hobmoor Road until I got married. Went to Cockshut hIll school.. We no longer live in Birmingham either, but do visit quite often.

ItaliaNona - The shop was knows as Mrs. Dales. Mrs. Dale owned it. Do you know Yardley well? My mother in law has lived there all her life. Haven't seen her for almost 12 months though as we don't live in Birmingham.
I don't remember Mrs Dales shop, whereabouts was it? I left Hobmoor Road in 63 when I got married.

The shop that Italian Nonna was asking about was on the corner of Patrick Road and Croft Road, Yardley. I used to live in Garretts Green and caught the number 17 bus to work every day. It went up Hob Moor Road. My mom bought a small book case from Russells, the furniture store that used to be at the bottom of Hob Moor at the Yew Tree.

The shop that Italian Nonna was asking about was on the corner of Patrick Road and Croft Road, Yardley. I used to live in Garretts Green and caught the number 17 bus to work every day. It went up Hob Moor Road. My mom bought a small book case from Russells, the furniture store that used to be at the bottom of Hob Moor at the Yew Tree.

Yes I do remember that shop now, my cousin lived at 40 Patrick Road, and a girl I went to school with called Carol Watterson did too. How things change - and how fast life goes by..

Brian Hines (Denny Laine) lived on the corner of Fieldhead Rd /Holcombe Rd where my Dad was born and they used to play together but Dad went to Moseley Grammar and Brian to Yardley Grammar.

Regarding the 1953 Coronation evening event venue (group photograph above), thanks to contributor Sue Malling and the sharp memory of her mother in law Margaret Dawkins, who is one of the young adults in the photograph, we now know where it was held. It was not in a school behind the Yew Tree pub as I previously thought but in a function room above the Birmingham Cooperative Society grocery store in Stoney Lane, near the Yew Tree. Apparently dances were regularly held there. I remember as a child being taken to the upstairs room by my mother when she went to see Co-op cookery or product demonstrations. I suspect that the building still stands and is divided up into three shops. The shop seemed vast when I was an infant. Here is the building I mean on Google Street View with the BCS logo clearly visible.

My mom would have been at hobmoor primary school around the same time As yourself. Mr Hughes was one of her teachers then, and he was also my teacher between 1965 and 1970. My moms name was Patricia Chapman, I wonder if you remember her ?
Mr Hughes was my teacher too Steve between 1965 and 1970, Mr Drew was Headmaster, and do you remember Mr Westerman? At break time we used to go up to Mrs Roberts tuck shop jammie dodgers were alot bigger then, oh and do you remember the wirleygigs, all added to the Fruit Salads, Blackjacks and Gobstoppers we brought from the shop next to the entrance by Russells Furniture shop.....oh lovely memories

Back